Are you curious why????

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
1.What is all the fuzz about the relocation of the Herrera Airport to the new terminal built near Duquesa dump?
The reason airlines with terminals at Herrera do not want to move to the new airport is simple. They invested a great deal in operations and hangars. They are afraid birds from Duquesa will pose a major threat to their aircraft and feel the new airport does not meet international standards. So why is Hipolito pushing to move them to the new airport?
SIMPLE!! Just read today's whole page ad in the newspapers(Listin Diario) paid by a construction company named Grand Realty SA. This is the outfit that finished the expansion of Duarte Highway back in 1999. Leonel Fernandez, not having enough money to pay them for this project gave them the title and legal rights to the land where Herrera Airport is located and started the construction of a new airport. Fernandez then would have the operations from Herrera moved to the new airport so that Grand Realty could develop the land and recover their costs and benefits.
SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM? It turns out that Hipolito and his gang of thieves began to use the old extorsion trick of "te pago la deuda si me das lo mio"(I pay you the debt if I get a piece of the action). This trick has risen to perfection levels by the PRD mafia. They held up on the airport relocation until Grand Realty became desperate. Then the PRD began to ask for their 10% to help grease the relocation fast. The PRD got the money, but coulkd not produce.
WHY CAN'T THEY PRODUCE? Because the PRD/PPH mafia did not count on the birds and the airlines refusal to relocate thus throwing "mierda en el sancocho"(**** on their stew). Now Grand Realty is appealing to the public thru this ad(they should have done this before the PPH got the idea this was a good project to get some graft)
So if you business fools want to continue working on DR government projects, be sure to remember that from one government to another, you have to pay extra extorsion money to get paid.

TW

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
There is more to it than just the bird problem.

I was out at the new airport late last fall, looking over the new hangars being built behind the new terminal. We had to get pretty strong with the three watchymen posted out on the road leading into the new airport (which in itself, may be the single nicest roadway in the entire country right now), took the inner roadway to the left of the terminal to go into the rear area, and there it was >>

half of the runway was under water.

The day before, Sto Dgo had received a dumper of a rain (maybe 3 or 4 " in places) and now the water had pooled up on top of the runway.

3 days later, in one of the papers, was posted a fictitious story that Public Works had intentionally flooded the runway area to drive out the birds in hopes of ending the bird problem at the airport.

First problem with the story -there is no water source anywhere near the runways, and there was too much water present even if they had used every available water truck in the DR to do it.

Second problem is that the birds are cattle egrets and they love water too.

The dump sits on the big hill to the right of the airport, as you drive in, about 500 to 800 meters away, and has thousands of birds there. They may soon have a permanent, expensive, home with part-time swimming area if the FAA were to do an inspection after a big rainfall.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The Rock-Ash scandal is not new!!!!!

I do not recall when, but about a year ago or more I posted a thread about an engineering firm where Senator Gomez used to meet with other corrupt politicians and entrepeneurs about activities going on in Bahia de Manzanillo and Pedernales. At the time, I mentioned something that never made the press and that was the torturing of the enginering firm's secretary, after an "unknown" assailant invaded the 4th. floor office in Piantini. The secretary was tortured with 5 matches and burned in an effort to get from her the whereabouts of the engineers on that day. She ended up in a hospital in critical condition with bruises and broken ribs. It turns out now, that for the first time the name of the firm has come out in the press(Trans?????? De Desarrollo-I will keep part of the name obscure-you can look it up). Although the engineering firm is run by an engineer by last name Espaillat, the checks from the office are from Trans????? . This is the outfit being investigated for bringing the "rock ash" into Manzanillo and I will always stick to the idea that the senator's assasination and the latter killing of one of his killers in La Victoria jail(Carlos Alfonseca from the "collares" band) were all connected with this outfit's activities.
TW

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
GringoCArlos said:
There is more to it than just the bird problem.

I was out at the new airport late last fall, looking over the new hangars being built behind the new terminal. We had to get pretty strong with the three watchymen posted out on the road leading into the new airport (which in itself, may be the single nicest roadway in the entire country right now), took the inner roadway to the left of the terminal to go into the rear area, and there it was >>

half of the runway was under water.

The day before, Sto Dgo had received a dumper of a rain (maybe 3 or 4 " in places) and now the water had pooled up on top of the runway.

3 days later, in one of the papers, was posted a fictitious story that Public Works had intentionally flooded the runway area to drive out the birds in hopes of ending the bird problem at the airport.

First problem with the story -there is no water source anywhere near the runways, and there was too much water present even if they had used every available water truck in the DR to do it.

Second problem is that the birds are cattle egrets and they love water too.

The dump sits on the big hill to the right of the airport, as you drive in, about 500 to 800 meters away, and has thousands of birds there. They may soon have a permanent, expensive, home with part-time swimming area if the FAA were to do an inspection after a big rainfall.

Forward this report to the ICAO and to the FAA! They will be VERY INTERESTED, to be sure.

Can you just IMAGINE a fully loaded 747 hydroplaning off the end of the runway, all available engines (one is bound to be disabled by a bird strike) in FULL REVERSE????

Also, they may want to check on the loadbearing capability of the runway, since undermining by water is a BIG problem and tends to destroy that capability, not to mention the viability of the runway approach/runway/taxiway lighting installations. It would appear that a 100 year flood plan/environmental impact study was falsified and/or not properly conducted.

Texas Bill

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Texas Bill-Update us????

On May 16, 2003 you wrote wonders about the Manzanillo Project that involved the unscrupulous group(Trans?????De Desarrollo)that instead of bringing us the "Montecristi International Free Zone for the 3rd. Millenium" with the help of the ambitious Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem it has brought us tons of rock ash to cover our white beautiful beach sands and turn them into black soot.

You also posted that you would be attending the meeting where this outrageous project would be unveiled. bring us up to date as to what happened at that meeting, that is if you attended.

By the way, Trans???De Desarrollo besides having their office in the Piantini apartment where a woman was tortured and where Senator Gomez used to meet with our corrupt politicians often, also show an office at 18 Rue de la Douane in Marseille. I have noticed that this company never pays their maintenance fees on time at the Piantini building and the sister of one of their engineers, who helps with their legal stuff, faced an investigation from Edesur for illegal electricity connection and was given a $50,000 penalty for stealing electricity. Quite a record for an outfit that wants to build a multimillion dollar port.
TW

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Golo100 said:
On May 16, 2003 you wrote wonders about the Manzanillo Project that involved the unscrupulous group(Trans?????De Desarrollo)that instead of bringing us the "Montecristi International Free Zone for the 3rd. Millenium" with the help of the ambitious Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem it has brought us tons of rock ash to cover our white beautiful beach sands and turn them into black soot.

You also posted that you would be attending the meeting where this outrageous project would be unveiled. bring us up to date as to what happened at that meeting, that is if you attended.

By the way, Trans???De Desarrollo besides having their office in the Piantini apartment where a woman was tortured and where Senator Gomez used to meet with our corrupt politicians often, also show an office at 18 Rue de la Douane in Marseille. I have noticed that this company never pays their maintenance fees on time at the Piantini building and the sister of one of their engineers, who helps with their legal stuff, faced an investigation from Edesur for illegal electricity connection and was given a $50,000 penalty for stealing electricity. Quite a record for an outfit that wants to build a multimillion dollar port.
TW

Golo100;

I did, in fact, attend the meeting held by the TDD (Trans Dominicana de Desarrolla) at the Golf Club here in Manzanillo. Their presentation was full of hot air and after about an hour I left in disgust because there was NOTHING of substance in their presentation.

The did, in fact, import a huge quantity of the "Rock Ash", spread it all over their compound and pack it down. They gave some of it to the Sindico for use on the disreputable carretera between Manzanillo and Copey to repair an inadequate paving job that was done.

As to covering the 'beautiful white beaches" with "black soot", to begin with, the beaches are and have not been beautiful for several millenia. The locals have seen to that very well, thank you, by depositing their refuse on those same beaches for many years and making absolutely NO effort toward cleaning them or maintaining them.

In addition, I think the reference to Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem as being a party to TDD's scam is incorrect. He was a party to another group from Dubai who wanted to invest in the Megaport project, but couldn't stomache the payoffs demanded by the government and pulled his consortium out, stating that when the DR government paid some of it's bills and got itself on a reasonable financial footing, he'd talk to them again.

Along the line of trying to bring shipping into Manzanillo, I contacted Tropical Shipping. They sent representatives to Manzanillo and met with myself, TDD, the Aduana rep, the Sindico and civil defense people at the Marlin Restraunt (I might add that I paid for the meal at this working luncheon). TDD was confronted as to why they HAD NOT done the necessary repairs/updates to the Wharf/Embarcadero complex so as to comply with the NEW International Standards for such facilities required before commercial shipping would be allowed to land/pickup good here. I got the impression that TDD's answer was not acceptable to Tropical and was just so much bulls**t.
Presently, we have two seperate shipping lines coming in here. One picks up melons and bananas and another delivers an occasional load of concrete. TDD is doing nothing to improve the port facilities, intice other freight lines, nor anything else that I can see to expand the already mediocre facilities.

Let me qualify my remarks (which you referred to in your opening statement) as to the "wonders" to be brought to the area.

Initially, I was very pleased with the PR being given out. So much so that I have formed two companies which would have taken advantage of that expansion/improvement. Since that time I hav, like you, become very disenchanted with TDD. I don't know who they paid off to gain their control, but they haven't done anything here except blow their horn. And that has been all lies. Whoever the people were that originally invested in this project have lost their money with no possibility of regaining it.

I hhope all this answers your questions. If not, PM/email me with whatever questions remain unanswered by this and I'll do my best to bring you further up to date.

Texas Bill