Moving to DR

mami

Mar 16, 2004
I am moving to the DR this summer with my 3 children my fiancee is already there. We have made most arrangements. But he has not mentioned visa's or residency requirements. He is Dominican I am Puerto Rican.

Do I need to fill out paper work there to allow my 3 children and I to move there? Or can this be done once I'm there?

mami

Mar 16, 2004
also, how is the area of LUcerna in Santo Domingo? any good, average...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
mami said:
I am moving to the DR this summer with my 3 children my fiancee is already there. We have made most arrangements. But he has not mentioned visa's or residency requirements. He is Dominican I am Puerto Rican.

Do I need to fill out paper work there to allow my 3 children and I to move there? Or can this be done once I'm there?

Yes you need to make arrangements once you settle into the country, for starters you'll need to procure residency for you and your children so they can enroll in school, also if you plan to work in the DR you'll need to procure a Cedula Personal, as indicated by a Poster here if you do a search you'll find all the answers you could ever had a qustion for, you'll only need to pay something like a $10 to $20 tourist card to enter the country, not much of a problem!

mami

Mar 16, 2004
thank you

PICHARDO said:
Yes you need to make arrangements once you settle into the country, for starters you'll need to procure residency for you and your children so they can enroll in school, also if you plan to work in the DR you'll need to procure a Cedula Personal, as indicated by a Poster here if you do a search you'll find all the answers you could ever had a qustion for, you'll only need to pay something like a $10 to $20 tourist card to enter the country, not much of a problem!

i didn't realize i'd have to do it before school starts. wow. i'll have to go over before they do to get it all started.

do you know anything about the area of lucerna?

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
I put my 7 year old daughter in public school then switched to private using just her birth certificate and a copy of her most recent report card. We were only there on tourist visa the entire time. That was in Tenares. We are actually going back on the 17th of this month. Kathy

mami

Mar 16, 2004
LOPTKA said:
I put my 7 year old daughter in public school then switched to private using just her birth certificate and a copy of her most recent report card. We were only there on tourist visa the entire time. That was in Tenares. We are actually going back on the 17th of this month. Kathy

thank you

conchita

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 14, 2004
mami said:

Mami,
I'm not trying to be snide or anything, and of course, it's your life, but where do you live, in the states or in PR? Why would you want to take your kids to an impoverished country, where the school systems are poor, and if you can afford private schools, they are very expensive? I would never move to DR. Just my opinion, but good luck with getting the right info for your relocation.

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
conchita said:
Mami,
I would never move to DR. Just my opinion, but good luck with getting the right info for your relocation.

conchita said:
I want to make it my home one day, and I thought that DR would be the country of choice. I just was expecting more. Just my opinion, so I hope no one gets offended. America and every country in the world has it's perks as well as its' flaws, but this is my take on DR.

HMMMM, what is it?

conchita

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 14, 2004
linamia said:
HMMMM, what is it?

Well, there are a number of islands that I wouldn't mind to live in, but I love Puerto Rico, the Canary Islands, the Seychelles, and Aruba. Right now, these four islands are my top choices.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
conchita said:
Well, there are a number of islands that I wouldn't mind to live in, but I love Puerto Rico, the Canary Islands, the Seychelles, and Aruba. Right now, these four islands are my top choices.

Hmmm...Puerto Rico? The cesspool of the caribbean. That's a great island to raise your kids. With the drugs and gangs everywhere...

Nothing more annoying to me than a latin descendant, born or raised in the US, pretending to be more than they are...

conchita

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 14, 2004
First off,
I don't have children, and wouldn't raise them in Puerto Rico. I'm talking about living there as a single person, now if I had children my decision would be different. And I will say this, at least PR is associated and is part of the US. Yes, there are a great number of areas that are infested with drugs, poverty and crime, but isn't that the same situation in DR? Oh, I forgot, DR is worse!

Look, I know where I come from, and I'm not ashamed of that. Are you? There are a number of places within the states, as well as in other countries that I wouldn't raise my children, so therefore, I made the comment about DR. I'm speaking from experience, because I have cousins who have moved back, and the educational system is very poor. There are reasons why people move to the US, especially coming from DR, because of education, job opportunity, and a better life. If this is where you see your life, then good luck.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
conchita said:
First off,
I don't have children, and wouldn't raise them in Puerto Rico. I'm talking about living there as a single person, now if I had children my decision would be different. And I will say this, at least PR is associated and is part of the US. Yes, there are a great number of areas that are infested with drugs, poverty and crime, but isn't that the same situation in DR? Oh, I forgot, DR is worse!

Look, I know where I come from, and I'm not ashamed of that. Are you? There are a number of places within the states, as well as in other countries that I wouldn't raise my children, so therefore, I made the comment about DR. I'm speaking from experience, because I have cousins who have moved back, and the educational system is very poor. There are reasons why people move to the US, especially coming from DR, because of education, job opportunity, and a better life. If this is where you see your life, then good luck.

Where do you come from Conchita? What's your background?

PR associated with the US? What does that have to do with anything? Does that make it better...It would if Puerto Ricans would use that opportunity to better themselves instead of just sitting on their asses collecting welfare, like 50% of them do.

You don't have children? Then why are you giving "advise" to Mami, on how to raise her kids. People move to the US to try to make a better living (money)...It's the only reason I did. BTW the dominicans moving to the US are not the ones who already have money, but those of us who were born poor and somehow got a chance to come here to try to make some money. Most people who make a confortable living down there would never move to any other country to live...You know why? Because there's no better country for you to live than the DR if you have anough money...
I for once, cannot wait to have my life financially secure so I can make the big move back...

conchita

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 14, 2004
suarezn said:
Where do you come from Conchita? What's your background?

PR associated with the US? What does that have to do with anything? Does that make it better...It would if Puerto Ricans would use that opportunity to better themselves instead of just sitting on their asses collecting welfare, like 50% of them do.

You don't have children? Then why are you giving "advise" to Mami, on how to raise her kids. People move to the US to try to make a better living (money)...It's the only reason I did. BTW the dominicans moving to the US are not the ones who already have money, but those of us who were born poor and somehow got a chance to come here to try to make some money. Most people who make a confortable living down there would never move to any other country to live...You know why? Because there's no better country for you to live than the DR if you have anough money...
I for once, cannot wait to have my life financially secure so I can make the big move back...

Suarez you've got some nerve. I'm a dominicana, a REAL dominicana, unlike yourself. You talk so highly of the DR, but came to the states just like alot of ungrateful dominicans have come and used the US for their own benefits! Do you or any member of your family serve for our Armed Forces? I would have to bet, NO. Because your just like alot of other dominicans who come to the states, get what you can, and live off the system as well. It's not only Puerto Ricans my dear, dominicans do it too. I should know, I have alot of relatives that do the same thing, take, take, take, and don't want to give anything in return to the US. However, I do! I serve in the military, I didn't take a "hand out" when I got to the states, and neither did my family. In my opinion, there's no better country to live than the US. The US is why the DR is free in the first place. And you call yourself Latina? How are you gonna put down P Ricans, and act as if Dominicans don't do the same thing? What, we move to the states, move to places like Washington Heights, the Bronx, Miami, etc, and live off of welfare? That makes it any better? What is your background? And if you think that DR is so great, and you came here to make money, why don't you take your butt back there, where you belong, your ungrateful to even live in the US. You don't deserve this freedom or luxury, that many dominicans only dream of having. Don't glorify the DR, there's no reason to do so, it's improverished, and alot of people would like to come here to have the things afforded to you, that quite frankly, I don't think you deserve!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
conchita said:
Suarez you've got some nerve. I'm a dominicana, a REAL dominicana, unlike yourself. You talk so highly of the DR, but came to the states just like alot of ungrateful dominicans have come and used the US for their own benefits! Do you or any member of your family serve for our Armed Forces? I would have to bet, NO. Because your just like alot of other dominicans who come to the states, get what you can, and live off the system as well. It's not only Puerto Ricans my dear, dominicans do it too. I should know, I have alot of relatives that do the same thing, take, take, take, and don't want to give anything in return to the US. However, I do! I serve in the military, I didn't take a "hand out" when I got to the states, and neither did my family. In my opinion, there's no better country to live than the US. The US is why the DR is free in the first place. And you call yourself Latina? How are you gonna put down P Ricans, and act as if Dominicans don't do the same thing? What, we move to the states, move to places like Washington Heights, the Bronx, Miami, etc, and live off of welfare? That makes it any better? What is your background? And if you think that DR is so great, and you came here to make money, why don't you take your butt back there, where you belong, your ungrateful to even live in the US. You don't deserve this freedom or luxury, that many dominicans only dream of having. Don't glorify the DR, there's no reason to do so, it's improverished, and alot of people would like to come here to have the things afforded to you, that quite frankly, I don't think you deserve!

I hope you have a lot of free time today, because I do...
First: You're not a Dominicana if you serve in the US army...why don't you go and join the Dominican army, then I will call you a Dominicana. I'm a US citizen, but I would not serve in any army. Anyone who joins the army either has no other choice or can't think for him/herself and is a "yes" man or woman(This could be another topic. I admit there are certain benefits to joining the army - such as discipline, but I would not give up my freedom or take orders from someone less intelligent than me)
Second: I didn't come here in a yola to work as a dishwasher in some restaurant in Washington Heights. I came to the US with a full scholarship to study at one of the most expensive colleges in Michigan. This is a scholarship which I earned with my own sweat and hard work. I was selected from a group of 500 of the best students in the whole DR.
Third: Let's not expand this "debate" to the whole US. The US is a large country with very diverse lifestyles depending on where you live (I.e. Hawaii Vs. NY). We started talking about The DR and NY, so let's keep it that way. Let's not talk about freedom. There are a lof things I love about the US, but freedom to do whatever you want is not one of them. Have you tried to paint your house purple lately?
Fourth: I give back to this country a hell of a lot more than I ever took. I never took welfare or any government benefits. I've always worked and I pay more taxes in a year than you can make with an army salary. In my line of work I have helped many companies save millions of dollars and be more efficient to better compete with foreign companies...What have you done for the US lately?
Fifth: The DR is a poor country, but I don't see people like you doing anything to help (and you call yourself a dominicana). I invest in The DR and help my family down there any way I can. What have you done for The DR lately?
Sixth: Let's stick to the topic...It's bad etiquette to hijack threads in a forum.

conchita

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 14, 2004
Suarez,
Before I go any further with this conversation, let's just say this, there are 5 armed force branches, and it's obvious that you don't know what the are, so I will educate you! The Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines and the Coast Guard. I'm not in the Army, I'm in the Navy, and as a matter of fact, I don't take orders, I give them. I'm an Officer, and it's obvious that you don't know what our mission is, so I won't even get into what it is that I do do. As for being educated, I am working on my second masters degree, I am certified as a CPA, and joined the military right after 911, to better serve my country, that's what I have given back to this country, my time, my honor, and my commitment. I could be ROLLING in the money as well, but I chose not to pursue certain goals that I had had in the past, because when I saw the twin towers coming down, and a great number of people that I know were affected by that, I felt that it was my duty to give back. So don't tell me what I haven't done for this country. People are dying everyday at an alarming rate, April has been the deadliest month for Americans, and here you sit and degrade the same people that gave you this very freedom so that you can go to school in Michigan, and have employment in the US? I feel sorry for you, because you don't even know a thing about democracy, let alone the amount of people who have died for people such as yourself, who can't even give a kind word about the sacrifices that they had to make. That's why I don't have anything in common with people such as yourself, because you'll sit there and criticize why I'm not serving in the DR armed forces, but why aren't you back there, trying to build up the economy? You seem to be an intelligent guy, you so call "make millions" for American countries, but what, don't have an interest to invest in your own country? Well, I guess I see your true colors, your a so called, dominicano when you feel it's appropriate, but what have you done to better your country?

I chose to serve this country for a reason, and could be making a whole heck of alot more money than yourself, but I did it for other reasons than to make money. No, I make a good living, I could make a better living, but if it weren't for people like me, you nor I would even have the opportunity or privilege to live in a country such as the states. Say what you will, but there's nothing about you really showing that you have done anything great for the DR as well as for the states. Stop giving yourself credit, when credit isn't due!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
conchita said:
Suarez,
Before I go any further with this conversation, let's just say this, there are 5 armed force branches, and it's obvious that you don't know what the are, so I will educate you! The Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines and the Coast Guard. I'm not in the Army, I'm in the Navy, and as a matter of fact, I don't take orders, I give them. I'm an Officer, and it's obvious that you don't know what our mission is, so I won't even get into what it is that I do do. As for being educated, I am working on my second masters degree, I am certified as a CPA, and joined the military right after 911, to better serve my country, that's what I have given back to this country, my time, my honor, and my commitment. I could be ROLLING in the money as well, but I chose not to pursue certain goals that I had had in the past, because when I saw the twin towers coming down, and a great number of people that I know were affected by that, I felt that it was my duty to give back. So don't tell me what I haven't done for this country. People are dying everyday at an alarming rate, April has been the deadliest month for Americans, and here you sit and degrade the same people that gave you this very freedom so that you can go to school in Michigan, and have employment in the US? I feel sorry for you, because you don't even know a thing about democracy, let alone the amount of people who have died for people such as yourself, who can't even give a kind word about the sacrifices that they had to make. That's why I don't have anything in common with people such as yourself, because you'll sit there and criticize why I'm not serving in the DR armed forces, but why aren't you back there, trying to build up the economy? You seem to be an intelligent guy, you so call "make millions" for American countries, but what, don't have an interest to invest in your own country? Well, I guess I see your true colors, your a so called, dominicano when you feel it's appropriate, but what have you done to better your country?

I chose to serve this country for a reason, and could be making a whole heck of alot more money than yourself, but I did it for other reasons than to make money. No, I make a good living, I could make a better living, but if it weren't for people like me, you nor I would even have the opportunity or privilege to live in a country such as the states. Say what you will, but there's nothing about you really showing that you have done anything great for the DR as well as for the states. Stop giving yourself credit, when credit isn't due!

Blah...blah...blah! You're so flustered you don't even read my replies before going on a rant about the US army, people dying for my freedom, etc...Did you read the part about me investing my money in the DR and helping my family down there? I just returned from The DR where I went to buy a house and start a business with my brother. I repeat again, what have you done for The DR? Are you doing anything for Dominicans anywhere? The first thing I want you to do is to stop calling yourself Dominican.
Helping American companies better compete saves American jobs and my taxes help pay your salary. Aren't you guys the ones who always say that there are many ways to serve this country, then consider that my way is to help companies be more competitive. BTW in my current project I'm implementing the computer system for the company that makes the engines for the tomahawk and patriot missiles. So, yes...I'm serving just in a different way...
You could be ROLLING in the money, but out of conviction you've decided to forgo all that and join the navy? yeah right...Hazme otra historia porque esa ya me la se (tell me another story, because I've already heard that one).

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Can I butt in?

conchita said:
Suarez,

Why do poor people (Dominicans, Mexican, Puerto Ricans, ect) want to go to a better country?. Because they want to better themselves. When they better themselves, what do they want to do?, return to their countries and enjoy the better life that the better country gave them. Nothing wrong with that. My mother wanted a better life for us, so she came to the US and then we followed. I am sure that suarezn found out that he would have a better opportunity studying abroad. I am also very sure that your family, conchita, since they are dominicans, that they also thought that coming to live in the US would give them a better life. There's nothing wrong with going back to your country after you better yoursel. Nothing is free and if one wants to make a better life for oneself, then you need to work hard and by working hard you are already paying your host country something back in return, I am talking about the actual WORK and not the type of work that requires a corner on a neighborhood, if you know what I mean. I will never bite the hand had has been feeding me for 30 years but I have been paying my dues for 30 years also and soon, hopefully, I will take whatever is left after paying my dues, to my beloved DR. Trust me guys, if I, suarez and conchita's family were super rich while in the DR, none of us would have migrated to another country, just my humble opinion.

Since I don't want to keep hijacking this thread, this is for mami: I will call friend of mine that a cousin of his lives in Lucerna and I will let you know how the neighborhood is.

mami

Mar 16, 2004
Wow!!!!!!!!

Nothing like a cat fight.

thank you miguel.

by the way i'm moving to dr instead of pr because my u.s. dollar goes a lot further there and quite frankly my fiancee is dominican i went to dr about 5 times fell in love with the island and i'm going to live there.

i would travel around the world if i could afford it. (learning about new cultures is exciting to me)

by the way i was born in pr but i left when i was 4 years old and never been back i can't wait to visit there also.

Last edited: