air traffic strike

karuna

Feb 12, 2004
Hi
I just returned from a week just outside of Sosua. I ended up getting dealyed becasue there was a national air traffic controller's strike and we couldnt leave the DR. (I was happy.) DEspite the inconvenience (we each had kids to get back to, jobs, doctor's appoitments, etc), I was so happy that the workers organized themselves and were strategic about when they planned the strike.
Since then I have been trying to find out infor and there's not much about it.
I heard there was a doctor's strike last month as well. I find this encouraging, especially since it is pre election time. Can anyone share info with me about the strike?
Thanks

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hi karuna,

The news has dried up on that because the controllers went back to work last Friday. They had been demanding 100% wage increases + additional benefits. During their two-day walkout, however, the Civil Aeronautical Board called in military and foreign controllers for the interim, but things weren't running smoothly and the strikers resumed working "for reasons of national security."

Their demands were not met, but they got a promise that they would be studied carefully, whatever that means.

PS You are correct, public hospital staff have striked twice in the past couple of months.

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think the Aircraft Controllers strike was more of an attention-getting device than a serious effort to force their demands upon the government. They and their leadership(?) had to know that the government could in no way acede to their demands and keep the already bloated budget under control; what with the constraints placed on it by the IMF agreement and others in the offing.

Again, a "paper tiger" effort to no avail.

However, their return to work under the auspices of "National Security" certainly will glean them support from the using public and the airline companies.

Texas Bill