Ocean World - Update April 04

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ocean World is pleased to announce the filling of its large dolphin lagoon with sea water and the completion of the rainforest and tiger grotto. While these areas will not be accessible to the public for another 2 months or so, we have exclusive pictures here on DR1.

The large dolphin lagoon will hold over 10 million gallons of sea water which is pumped from the outside and filtered via protein skimmers and ozone injectors. One of the first of its kind, state-of-the-art filtrations systems to ensure maximum quality of life for the animals. Currently, dolphin programs take place in the small lagoon, still about 2 million gallons, which in the future will be used for dolphin shows.

The tiger grotto is a unique attraction where you can swim in a pool separated by tigers only by glass windows. The tigers also have a pool on the other side of the glass. Tigers like to swim, unlike other cats.

The rainforest will house exotic flora and fauna, 3 tropical bird habitats with toucans, macaws, cockatoos, and love birds. Also, freshwater aquariums with piranha and other fish from the Amazon.

All of the attractions are expected to be ready for participation and/or viewing by the public by June or July this year.

Dolphin Lagoon

lagoon_1.jpg

lagoon_2.jpg

lagoon_3.jpg

lagoon_4.jpg

Rainforest

rainforest.jpg

Tiger Grotto

grotto_1.jpg

grotto_2.jpg

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
OceanWorld

I had no idea this was in the works and most of the natives don't know of this....you need to start publicizing it and giving details....where is it?....in the north coast?....please give us more updates.

URock

Feb 10, 2003
Check the "stickys"..........

Frankie,

Take a look at the "stickys" in this forum. Info on Ocean World has been posted here. ;)

carribean_mom

Apr 20, 2004
Incredible Experience

My family and I just returned from the DR. One of my daughters life's dreams was to someday swim with the dolphins. That dream came true on April 14/04 at Ocean World. What an incredible experience!!!!!!!!!! :)
My advise is if your travelling to the Dominican and have children, dont pass up the opportunity to go to Ocean World, you wont regret it!!!!!!!!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
frank alvarez said:
I had no idea this was in the works and most of the natives don't know of this....you need to start publicizing it and giving details....where is it?....in the north coast?....please give us more updates.

Ocean World has not advertised the Dolphin Swim and Encounter programs to the Dominican market as the US$ prices are a bit prohibitive to most Dominicans. With limited spaces available, it made more sense to sell these spots to tourists via tour operators.

The park will open for General Admission on June 1st. Sometime in June or July Ocean World will start an aggressive advertising campaign in Santiago and Santo Domingo with special prices for admission to Dominicans.

femaleowl

May 4, 2004
visit

Hi
Were coming to the dominican in July and are travelling as a group of nine with a child of 5 and an lady in her late 60's with walking difficulties.
She would love to come and visit is ocean world suitable for her.
thanks
Anne

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Most areas of Ocean World are accessable even by wheelchair. There is a wheelchair for use free of charge, if one is needed. Ocean World also has guest services staff that can help people with special needs.

Neon8

Aug 3, 2003
www.sosuacondos.com
Ocean World is very well equiped for handicap access. We were there in March and brought my Mother who is 72 and has had a stroke. She can walk but slowly and doesn't do stairs well. They brought a wheelchair to the bus and our guide helped all day. There are ramps everywhere. The staff was also very helpful in assisting her at the Sealion encounter - which she greatly enjoyed.

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
Wonderful Pics Robert

I never got to see the park last year ,but did take pics the year befor.

What a beautiful change!

Thanks for the update.

Judy

femaleowl

May 4, 2004
thanks

Thanks to everyone for their advise on ocean world. my mother in law will really enjoy the visit
anne :classic:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Hi, we are back in the DR on June 8th for 2 weeks.

Which things will definately be ready for that time? I must admit i am a little confused by all the 1/2 day this and 1/2 day that combo prices.
Also will it be best to book on-line? Will this save me money?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Effective June 1st, Ocean World's new programs/price list:

Day Pass - Admission $55

Includes round trip bus transfer from nearby hotels (surcharges apply for Luperon, Sosua, Cabarete, Rio San Juan)

Lunch Buffet

Snorkeling in Reef Pool (includes equipment)

Sea Lion Show

Rainforest with tropical bird interactions

Swimming in Tiger Grotto (separated from Tigers by glass)

Beach area in dolphin lagoon

Observation of all dolphin and shark interactions

Dolphin Swim $145 includes Admission

Dolphin Encounter $100 includes Admission

Sea Lion Encounter $80 includes Admission

Prices are the same whether you book with tour operators in hotel or if you book on-line. Dolphin Swim does sell out during busy times, so reservations can be made via reservation@ocean-world.info to secure spot.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
That's great, Conchman...what an excellent job you have! Thanks for the update, that'll be the highlight of our next trip to the DR.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks a lot for the info Conchman. 4 of us will definately be coming while we are away. I will go and get my credit card now! :)

Hel

Aug 4, 2003
Ocean World is Amazing!!

Hiya everyone

We just got back to England from the DR on Tuesday morning, sob sob, wish we were still there! We went to Ocean World, booked it through our rep as we were told that was the only way it could be done (not absoloutly sure if this is true) We booked for the Dolphin and Sea Lion encounters which cost $125. The encounters were amazing, we've never been in contact with such animals before so we were fascinated. They were so gentle and friendly! We were amazed at the things they could do and how obedient they were to the trainers. They didnt seem to be kept in small confinement either, the dolphin pool was huge, the holding areas are pretty big too, and the Sea Lions had several diferent pools. As well as the 2 encounters we were given a full tour of the open areas of the park, which included the tiger grotto and swimming in the pool (i loved this as tigers are my favourite animal, i was literally 2 feet away from one of the tigers - throught the perspex of course! It really was amazing) We also saw the sharks, stingray, small tropical birds, parrotts, tucans, and we went snorkelling in the artificial snorkel reef. We saw the Sea Lion show which was fantastic! A very nice lunch was also included.

The whole experience was just brilliant. If you like anything to do with animals i would definately suggest that you take a trip to Ocean World whilst in the DR. We loved it.

Matthijs

Jun 9, 2004
Thanx for the info

Thanx a lot for the info. Had allready looked up the oceanworld site, but could not find any prices. Will certainly look into visiting Ocean World, and meeting the dolphins.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I am really upset that i didnt get to go to Ocean World on this trip to the DR. I got back today and funnily enough it is raining here in the UK.

We did that many other things we just ran out of days, also the $25 hike in price just slightly pushed it beyond what we had left.

Others i spoke to who had been said it was well worth it. I will just have be content with going when i am back in September.

bee

Jul 6, 2004
Hi I`m going to the DR juli 26 th. Have you been to the ocean world yet, what can I expect?