PROS & CONS OF AI'S...WOULD LIKE TO HEAR YOUR OPINIONS

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
1st of all I dislike AI's but...

If you are a single traveler, AI's are worthless because of no guests. You usually can save a lot of money if going solo by purchasing the flight and staying at a moderate hotel and eating moderate meals.

For a couple, it isn't too bad because usually they can get a very nice flight package with AI stay and is generally cheaper than purchasing two separate flights, paying for a hotel, and then food and drinks.

Pros of AI's: Free food and drinks. Some AI's have good variety. Being in a relaxed atmosphere and not being hassled by vendors. If you like hanging with fellow countrymen and other tourists you'll have it made. You may or may not like the animation teams/shows/contests, etc.

Cons of AI's: Often repetitive type of food and not the best food overall. Obnoxious tourists. Not guest friendly. Not experiencing local culture unless you spend a lot of time out of the AI sightseeing and mingling. Shows/events in my opinion at AI's are Generally stupid and boring. Did I also mention, loud, obnoxious tourists who complain. I hear that around AI's all the time, people that just bi.ch and moan about everything.

Whatever you feel, go for. But I do hope that if you choose an AI that you would spend a lot of time outside of the facility and explore and mingle with others. I personally prefer not to stay an AI but to each his own.
dale7(Howard)

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
In my opinion the AI?s have a very useful purpose in the large scheme of things. Many people who are now regular vacationers in the DR most likely never would have gone to the DR if it weren?t for the supposed savings of the AI resort concept.
As far as the obnoxious tourists go I am sure they can be found in GREAT numbers on and off the AI resorts, I have had the misfortune of meeting more than my share!
We have a time share so we stay at an AI but sped as much time as possible away from the resort, however when we are at the resort we are very comfortable having everything taken care of for us.
Having made many trips to both the North and South coast of Dominican Republic I ALWAYS encourage everyone I meet to take at least one or two days and get away from the resort and meet some of the friendly and giving people whose home land they have the privilege to visit and enjoy. (Some of the DR1ers aren?t too bad either :) )
Each time I visit I find myself spending more and more time away from the AI and more time with the great friends that I have made there.
John

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Surrounded by your neighbours

QUALITYGUY1 said:
So what do you think? All responses welcome. Thanx! :classic:

1. They are not all that cheap, though at times I admit AI last minute packages are low cost, though you have to suffer with horrible , no leg room charter flights as part of the deal.

2. After a while the food becomes the same. The buffets are large but you see a lot of repetition in the buffet and over time.

3. The life is overly regimented and artificial

4. You hang out with your neighbours - if you want to stay on the beach with other white folks from your home town, go to the beach in your home town, or Florida .

5. A lot of people overdo the free booze and turn into total a**holes, multiplied by the 1,000 people there it's a treat.

6. You get no feeling of the actual country you are in - regardless of organized bus tours to the city, or those ridiculous zombie-like safari trucks or the organized ATV rides, etc.

7. The pitch that you will be robbed and mugged and ripped off traps guests to the point that when AI tourists dare to venture out they look like prisoners on the last mile walk to the electric chair.

The main problem is that it promotes vacationing not tourism/travel - they are so homogenous they could literally be anywhere - if you could get DR underpaid resort workers inside a walled compound in Florida legally, Americans (and Canadians too) wouldn't leave North America.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
You're Right, John

In my opinion the AI?s have a very useful purpose in the large scheme of things. Many people who are now regular vacationers in the DR most likely never would have gone to the DR if it weren?t for the supposed savings of the AI resort concept.

That's exactly what happened to us. We chose the DR over other islands 4 yrs ago simply because Casa de Campo offered more of what we wanted over other caribbean islands. We now own a villa on the north coast and come down about 4 times a year.

I choose an AI if I want a totally stress-free, pampered vacation. Sometimes, you want to just slug it for a week.

But now when we're at our villa, I'm cleaning, cooking, grocery shopping, etc. I'm totally satisfied with this because it's home away from home where I'm still in my element of daily routines, but in a totally different atmosphere. There's variety of beaches, restaurants, towns, and the intermingling of people from all walks of life - rich/poor, black/white, locals/foreigners. In an AI, you tend to be with people that are the same as you.

I don't think staying in most AIs in DR saves you alot of money. People don't understand that food, drink, and entertainment here are dirt cheap.

We know a couple that at first were going to rent our villa. They thought it was really cheap. Then when they were about to book the flight, they noticed some ads for AIs in the DR. In comparing costs, they told us they would spend alot more renting from us. I tried to tell them eating out 3 meals a day with plenty of booze would equal their package cost. They couldn't get it thru their heads that a nice lobster dinner did NOT cost $30!! I even tried to entice them with our private pool that they could get nasty in every night. Oh well, in the end they said they just wanted a place to vegetate.

I think people who stay in DR AIs aren't interested in DR - they just want to travel to some island. And that's fine - to each his own.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Those who are timid or fearful about a foreign country, language, culture, will feel safer and happier within the walls; the opposite is true for the adventurous free spirits. Know thyself.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Being a Dominican I know what the DR is about so an AI is just a way to have a "no hassel" quick vacation. Nonetheless if I want to engage in any activity other than just relaxing on the beach or pool being in the AI is a problem.

When I travel elsewhere outside the DR I try to do my research in the local area before I go with the AI dive shop. As in the DR if you do your research you will be rewarded with much cheaper cost and avoid the crowds.

In Cancun/Cozumel if you dive with the AI dive shops you will have to share your dive with many people some newbies etc and it is still expensive, but venture into town and look for the smaller independent dive shops and not only will they cater to your level of experience but you will have a small group as well at a great price.

This is exactly the same as in the DR. The AI activities are more expensive than looking for independent companies. Many independent fisherman take divers out in areas like Bayahibe at a fraction of the cost of the AI dive shops, but you would never know this unless you do your research.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dawnwil said:
Those who are timid or fearful about a foreign country, language, culture, will feel safer and happier within the walls; the opposite is true for the adventurous free spirits. Know thyself.

If they are so timid and fearful, why are they even coming to the Dominican Republic?

Regarding AI's, I don't see anything wrong with staying at them as long as you don't have in mind that since you have already paid for your meals and drinks that you aren't going to leave the grounds. Then I think you might just as well have saved the air fare and gone to a resort closer to home. If, like John, you come wanting to get acquainted with the country and spend at least part of the visit getting acquainted with life outside the walls of the resort, it doesn't seem to me it makes much difference where you sleep and eat breakfast. In fact, I can see some advantage in having access to the activities offered by the AI as well as access to those off the grounds.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
It basically boils down to your likes and dislikes and whether or not you are adventurous or not. I would never stay at an AI again in the DR. It is sooo much more fun to stay at a place where you are mingling with the locals (as long as you still have access to a beach and get out to do many things). My idea of travelling is to see and experience how people around the world live and what day-to-day things they live with that shape the culture of the country. The Dominican Republic is a very safe place for tourists (in my opinion and I am a woman who has never felt afraid there). Food and drinks are EXTREMELY cheap in the DR, especially if you go to local restaurants and discos, etc. If you are not the adventurous type of person though and will be annoyed and complain about little things (this is the reality of not staying at an AI - things aren't always perfect) instead of taking them in stride you will be better at an AI. I know for sure my parents would hate to go there and not stay at an AI simply because they enjoy sitting around a pool or laying on the beach and could care less if they went to a local disco off the resort or not. They also have no interest in even making an effort to try and understand someone who speaks another language. For me, that's all part of the fun. It's a learning experience. Good luck with your decision.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
JanH said:
Fiesta - don't be so quick to judge your parents! Mine are the most narrow-minded as they come. Read my post of dad's experience in DR this past January.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29017&highlight=shock

Well it's true, I don't know for sure but I have shared with them my many stories and pictures from my trips to the DR and I have not stayed at an AI and they always question how I could consider that a holiday. They wonder how could it possibly be fun to just sit around with the locals and drink, play dominos, tell stories and not be at a beach, especially when the conditions are so poor - and believe me I was not staying at the Ritz but I had more fun than any other time I have stayed at an AI!! They have taken several holidays to different carribean islands and rarely venture off the resort and when they do they are just itching to get back because "it's not safe"! I love them dearly but I just don't think they are very adventurous.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Pros and cons

We used to go to our little place in Playa Dorada every August for a week or two of R&R. Back then the place had thick pile rugs, fully equipped kitchens, and a great staff. We'd pack all the kids and at least one friend per into the penthouse andhave a blast. One trip to the Jimenez Messon grocery store, plus what we brought from home was enough, with the odd run for more Coke or nibbles.

Then they changed everything. Limited the number of people at any one time, and even later they took up the rugs...kitchens were bare, too. We still went with a crowd, just because we could have a week of doing nothing. The children we took now were our grandchildren. We haven't been back for a while. Now we go to our house in Punta Ruc?a, which I pretty much left when I got golf crazy.

Pros: No hassles, close to the golf course and mall. Food is okay but breakfast is made to order.

Cons: For me and a lot of our friends, the worst thing about the AIs is the fact that they have killed the little businesses in town. The nice little restaurants that once flourished, the giftshops the pizza places. The idea of keeping everything "inside" is the most unfortunate result.

That is why we always encourage people to get out and about..

HB