I Need A Cell Phone for My DR Visit!!!!

jayemorena

Apr 9, 2004
imjustjenny.blogspot.com
Hi everyone,

I am new to the community. I live in NYC ("nueba yor") and I have a boyfriend in DR, and I'm going to see him in July for the whole month.

Does anybody know an affordable way I can get a cell phone where people can reach me while I'm down there?

JayeMorena...

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
It's easy. Just buy the darn thing, and use phone cards. When you're leaving at the end of the month, give it away. E-mail the number to your friends in NY and make them call you, and then they pay for the call also, hehehe.

RD$1000 for a cheapie cell phone, (US$20 or so), and phone cards from RD$25 up to several hundred pesos, and you only pay when you initiate the call from the cell phone. The best cards are Codetel for RD$150, as they don't expire for 45 days after you credit them to your phone.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Bingo! What he said!

GringoCArlos said:
It's easy. Just buy the darn thing, and use phone cards ...
It's really easy. I use Orange, but take your pick. Just take your passport. They'll sign you up in a few minutes, have a phone for you, and the cost is 10x less than a typical monthly cell bill in the U.S. for the equipment, line, service, and all. PM me if you have a problem when you're here and I'll helpor send someone to help. But really, don't fret it. It's easy.

Tom aka XR I hate when my hand falls asleep! I know it'll be up all night.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Every time

I do it every time I go to the DR. Buy a phone and use Orange or Virison. It will save you big bucks over taking your own tri-band from America. You can also leave your cell at home with a friend or family member and once you get to the DR have your Ameican cell put on call fwd. to your new DR cell.

Charlie

jayemorena said:
Hi everyone,

I am new to the community. I live in NYC ("nueba yor") and I have a boyfriend in DR, and I'm going to see him in July for the whole month.

Does anybody know an affordable way I can get a cell phone where people can reach me while I'm down there?

JayeMorena...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Plently of posts

jayemorena said:
:bunny: Ay, mira que rapido!

Thank you all for the helpful responses. I am going (back) to the Orange website to check them out.

Gracias,

Jaye
Do a search--we covered this last month--I posted the cost of the phone etc.

JOHN

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Never use your North American Cell!!!

Last time I was in the DR, I figured "what they hey... I will use my cell here for local calls". Well the calls only cost me about $10.00 but the "roaming charges" from Canada cost about $110.00. I could have bought a whole new phone and talked for 20X the amount that I did for about the same price!

flec

Feb 7, 2004
www.flec.ca
I go tri-band

I always take my UNLOCKED GSM TRI-BAND phone (Nokia 6100), put an Orange SIM chip in and just use phone cards. If you don't have such a phone, you should be able to pick one up in NY for under $100, or check eBay. That way I never have travel problems. My phone has worked without issue in Chile, Venezuela, Mexico, Japan, France, USA, Canada. And I always get a local carrier with a local phone number... no roaming. Maybe I missed a couple countries. I now have a collection of SIM cards I always take with me. Great solution for the extensive traveller. Best of luck!