Word from today's news...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Today's news has a spanish word that my trusty Franklin talking dictionary does not have the translation for...

Quote from DR1 news: "Mejia in Miami
President Hipolito Mejia during his campaign visit to Miami affirmed that he has met all his campaign promises. ?For the first time in all of Latin America a ?jodido? politician has fulfilled what he wrote and promised,? Mejia grandstanded"

What does ?jodido? translate to in this context?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
:eek: :surprised My vox dictionary reads: Bloody, f*c*k**, annoying, knackered, exhausted, f*cked up, done for, kaput, buggered, complicated.

Sounds about right :laugh:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I can only guess...

Anna Coniglio said:
:eek: :surprised My vox dictionary reads: Bloody, f*c*k**, annoying, knackered, exhausted, f*cked up, done for, kaput, buggered, complicated.

Sounds about right :laugh:

But "joder" means to F. So, it may mean a F'ing.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Yes, I get the same translation - but I cannot figure out the context here.... I'm sure that there is a catch somewhere in this word.

Did he really say ?For the first time in all of Latin America a ?F@CK!NG? politician has fulfilled what he wrote and promised,? ?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Did he really say ?For the first time in all of Latin America a ?F@CK!NG? politician has fulfilled what he wrote and promised,? ?[/QUOTE]

I think he meant an "overwhelmed, doomed politician"

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is not something a polite person would say, but in Dominican Spanish slang 'jodido' is not as crude as 'f@cking' is in English.

Chiri

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
LMAO when I first read that

And yes he did say that. Just goes to show you want a terribly uneducated person he is. He also said to his audience that "the hospitals in the Dominican Republic offer assistance at the same level as the hospitals in New your (City)." I wish the guy would get sick or injured and have to go to one of his public hospitals where there is nothing to assist the patients. My God! What affrontery to the Dominican people.!!
My cry from now until the 16th of May is ?QUE NO!

HB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Now I'm laughing - I first thought I'm not reading right, or not understanding right - I actually do know the word, so, I was flabbergasted when I read the news.

I'm working with a bunch of well-educated Dominican folks today and asked what the word meant - Dead silence! - all looked at me in shock! - Then I showed the folks the news report. First, the folks were a little embarassed at what their President said. Then, when they figured out that I'm really not holding it personally against any person around me, the laughter started..... and we are still laughing. I think we'll all end up in the pub tonight and we'll all still be laughing....

?QUE NO!

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The President's colorful quotes in Spanish as covered in El Nacional.

http://www.elnacional.com.do/(ciausazhyypov1j4moolww55)/aspx/article.aspx?id=6572

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Chirimoya said:
It is not something a polite person would say, but in Dominican Spanish slang 'jodido' is not as crude as 'f@cking' is in English.

Chiri

But then our Beloved President is NOT 'Polite'. Nor is he educated, nor does he have any "Simpatico"!!!! This proves he does not know what he is saying, he just memorises what his PPH script writers have written for him & regurgitates it like a well trained parrot!!! If he DID understand what he was saying, at least he would blush heavily or look embarrased as he said it!!

Okay 'El Thicky', time for you to go was 3 1/2 years ago - you have MORE than outstayed your welcome!!!! Let us hope that all the "White" flag bearing these days is 'Hired' help only there for the handouts & NOT an indication of the support he might get come 16th May. - Grahame.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
"Por primera vez en toda Am?rica Latina un jodido pol?tico cumple todo lo que escribi? y prometi?", asegur? el gobernante.
Worse than using the word 'jodido' is perhaps the fact that he is saying that he is the first politician in all of Latin America to keep his promises.......

But in using the word 'jodido' I do fear he endears himself to the general masses. The word from my people in Sos?a is that El Burro tiene gente, s?.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Jane J. said:
Worse than using the word 'jodido' is perhaps the fact that he is saying that he is the first politician in all of Latin America to keep his promises........

That's why I'm laughing Jane - as you say 'jodido' pales in comparison to the rest of the statement...

We travel into the rural areas quite a bit. Looking at it in Mao over the last few days, and simply judging from the number of political posters, purple painted telephone poles, purple painted walls and purple painted everything, the Purple covers the countryside. I saw the same thing driving to Nagua a week ago. I did not expect to such a mass of 'purple' in the rural areas. Driving past the political rallies, I see more purple supporters than white supporters, just judging by driving on the roads and looking around. Either Leonel Fernandez is spending a tremendous amount of money, or there are really more purple supporters.

I truly hope this mass of purple that I see is a reflection of what is going to happen come election day. I'm truly getting my fill of politics these days. There is an election in my country today, and we are heading up to an election in my adopted country. All very interesting.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I think you're right JJ

Claro que hippo tiene su gente. By using the word Jodido he likened himself to the people (que de verdad estan jodido :ermm: ), thereby gaining their symphathy. He wanted to get the message across: that in spite of all the odds, he has come through on his promises. He knew exactly what he was doing.

But in using the word 'jodido' I do fear he endears himself to the general masses. The word from my people in Sos?a is that El Burro tiene gente, s?.[/QUOTE]

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Another one!

Well, in today's news he has called the ex-army chief a "baboso."

Even though I don't imagine Hippo has to try very hard, they are clearly stepping up this vernacular campaign tactic. "Just be yourself..." they must tell him......

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Paulino said:
Guess you meant "aqueroso" with a k-sound...(sorry, couldn't resist)

P.

you meant "asqueroso" (disgusting). Trina has the right word, she meant "asaroso"