Alternative power experts!

jetfuel

Mar 4, 2004
Ive been reading in the other forums and Mr.Mike seems to be the expert on alternative energy, but if there are others, please answer this simple question.

All i need power for is to run a new computer (1.8mhz) with a 17? screen. I dont have a tv, radio, fridge or lights. Some people have told me i need 4, 50w solar panels others have said 1, others 2. Others have said get on the grid, which i wont do, and get an inverter. Others have simply told me ma?ana, no problema!!!! I keep getting the run around.

Whats the reality about running a new computer for approx 8 hrs a day. Should i go solar, or wind or just forget about it?

Thanks for all your inputs,

Jet

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
your computer plus monitor may be using as much as 400 W.... that would require more than 10 50W panels and you STILL wouldnt have AC power and would only be able to run in the middle of a sunny day...

If you cant connect to the grid, get a laptop, it will use about 150W. You will also need an invertor, a battery bank and at least 4 panels. You will still run out of power with this configuration. one of the experts on the board can gve more info

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
sjh said:
your computer plus monitor may be using as much as 400 W.... that would require more than 10 50W panels and you STILL wouldnt have AC power and would only be able to run in the middle of a sunny day...

If you cant connect to the grid, get a laptop, it will use about 150W. You will also need an invertor, a battery bank and at least 4 panels. You will still run out of power with this configuration. one of the experts on the board can gve more info

I like the laptop solution. Just get one with a bunch of spare batteries. It will work fine if you connect to the net via dialup, and save you a lot of time in messing around with electrical stuff.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Possibilities..

jetfuel said:
Whats the reality about running a new computer for approx 8 hrs a day. Should i go solar, or wind or just forget about it?

Thanks for all your inputs,

Jet

I assume that there is no electricity at your residence and that you want to keep the costs as low as possible.
Perhaps you need a tiny gas generator, along with a tiny inverter with a couple of batteries and a UPS.
The generator would be used to charge the main batteries when they are low, and the inverter would operate your PC until the batteries run out, at which point your UPS would take over, giving you enough time to shut your PC down without losing any info, and then you could run your generator to recharge the batteries through the inverter.
This arrangement would allow you to use your PC in peace and quiet, but if you didn't mind the noise, you could forego the inverter and batteries alltogether and just run a generator and a UPS.
Marco.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Batteries and generator

I don't know what $ you want to invest, so it is tough. If it were me, and I didn't/couldn't tie into the grid, I would run a standard battery/inverter system with a generator to charge with. That way the generator only runs when required, and I don't have to deal with the Ede's.

You could run solar panels as a charging system, but you may run into cost restrictions and you may not get enough charge for what you require.

I have also seen/heard of people that use modified bikes that they pedal to charge batteries - in case you are into that kind of thing. I am not, to be sure :)

Good luck
m

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You can expect 200w-300 watts of useable energy per 50w panel per day depending on the season and the amount of clouds. The laptop idea would be preferable if using solar panels. 4-8, 6 volt batteries, a small gas generator, and, 2-4 - 50w panels, a 1k invertor (i like to oversize here) and you will be set. The acutal battery bank size and amount of solar panels will depend on your exact usage and capital. In the long run, off-grid, you will be better off designing your system to handle your average daily needs with solar, and use the generator as back up and on those heavy use days or multi-day cloudiness. If you have access to the grid, it is always better to replace the solar panels with a traditional connection. This is assuming you are paying for metered electricity.

a.m.a.

Feb 17, 2004
7-10 panels

Soluz usually assumes 150W per desktop computer (your 17 inch monitor may draw a bit more.) Since you have low consumption and are evidently off the grid, I recommend going entirely solar. Buying a few extra panels and batteries will give you the rainy-day security you'll need without the added cost and hastle of a gas-powered planta.

If you indeed use only the computer (150W x 8 hrs/day) you can have a reliable energy source (3 days of energy reserve) using 7 51W panels, and 6 6V batteries. Those calculations are for a 5 day work week. If you plan to use the computer for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, you'll need 10 51W panels and 8 6V batteries. A 300W inverter would do the job for your computer, but I agree with Tom that it's a good idea to oversize on inverters. I'd go with at least a half kilo. I'm not working with them anymore, but I know that Soluz sells appropriately sized "Plantas Soluz" that would do the trick for you.

The laptop idea is a good one, but it sounds like you just bought this computer. To reduce your energy consumption a bit, remember to set your monitor to turn itself off (NOT to enter 'screen saver' mode -- which doesn't actually save energy) automatically when you are away from your machine.

Cheers,
Allison