Dominicans in Canada - HELP

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Have all you guys done your Permanent Residence card yet? I'm ashamed to say that we have not even begun...... Every time I look at the papers, I get really discouraged and overwhelmed - it's like doing the immigration thing all over again! Translate this paper, certify this document....it makes me want to CRY.

So I want to know if there are any buscones-type people (lawyers?) in Canada who will do the process for you? Also, we are so late - I need this card FAST if we want to travel this year...

I need HELP!!!!

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Permanent Card

The Canadian embassy in Santo Domingo, was trying to be in contact with Dominicans who have not changed the permanent residence card from November to January. You better contact the CIC at 1-888-242-2100 or go in person to the Canadian consulate in Haiti. We all know that the immigration and Visas process are in Haiti.

Good luck.
Homer

Jane J. said:
Have all you guys done your Permanent Residence card yet? I'm ashamed to say that we have not even begun...... Every time I look at the papers, I get really discouraged and overwhelmed - it's like doing the immigration thing all over again! Translate this paper, certify this document....it makes me want to CRY.

So I want to know if there are any buscones-type people (lawyers?) in Canada who will do the process for you? Also, we are so late - I need this card FAST if we want to travel this year...

I need HELP!!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you are talking about the Canadian Permanent Resident Card you can go to any immigration Canada office (Montreal for Jane) Tell them your travel dates, bring your form all finished with photos....etc, and they will try to expedite your card. In Yris(my wife) case, she is becoming a Canadian Citizen on the 12th May, and then she will go directly to the passport office and get a Candian passport. This is better than doing the permanent Resident Card.
Less hassle from customs...etc.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Hi Jane. I did everything myself, it's really not as hard as it looks. The toughest thing was probably the guarantor part, because Angel had only been here just 2 years, so having someone that will guarantee that they have known him for at least 2 years, I thought, would be a struggle. However my boss, a CA, guarantored for him and all was well. Make sure his guarantor signs every document you have photocopied (as well as the photos) and fills in the appropriate section.

I didn't get anything translated, nothing, and it wasn't an issue. I sent all documents "as is", but you don't have to send his birth certificate, do you? I really can't remember what documents I sent other than his passport and visa, but will find out and update you.

The photos were easy, too, done in about 10 minutes, however, make sure that you request the "Permanent Residence" card size, and not the passport size, as there is a difference, and passport photos will not be accepted.

Also remember to order a fees receipt now if you don't have one, because it doesn't come with the downloaded version of the on-line kit. It you ordered it from the office, it would have been provided for you when you received it. You can pay the $50 at any bank, and make sure you send the government's copy of the receipt with your package.

You definitely don't need to pay a lawyer to have it done. File now, and if you're getting close to the time of travel and don't have it yet, contact them with your situation and give them a copy of your airline tickets as proof. That happened to friends of ours, they were ready to travel and didn't have his card yet, but upon contacting the Visa office, it arrived in about 10 days.

We applied in October, and the card arrived March 15! Brutal...

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
You guys are the best...... Why do I feel like I CAN'T do this??

Our minister can be the guarantor - aha, bet you didn't know that Mr.JaneJ is a church-going man - we were Mary & Joseph in the Xmas pageant last year! - so that's not a problem....

But Bob, your idea is a good one - my husband has been here 3 years as of this month - can we apply for citizenship now? How long will that take and would we have to do the $%@#ing PR card for the interim?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Congratulations, Bob!!! How long does it take to become a citizen? If MrJaneJ could get his citizenship before you travel, it would be way better for you guys! I'd imagine a passport is easily attainable (6 weeks max?) once the Citizenship process has been completed. Then you'd be laughing! Show that to the POP airport freaks that stalk any Dominican trying to leave the country to extort money!!! BTW, even I couldn't even pass that goddamned (pardon my language...I won't say "pardon my French" out of respect to Jane!) Citizenship test without studying a whole lot! My brother-in-law emigrated to Canada when he was 2, so he wrongfully assumed he was a Canadian citizen, thought his parents would've done the paperwork long ago. He went to get a Canadian passport, and couldn't...then he had to find out he had to go through the citizenship process. He showed me the test booklet...OMG...I don't know half of the Parliamentary staff that he had to know in order to attain citizenship. It's not an easy test for any Canadian, so I truly congratulate Yris on her success! Jane, I'm going to e-mail you with a friend of mine's e-mail address. She lives in TO, and her husband recently applied for citizenship. He failed the exam, and now they're going through the appeal process. Maybe she can give you guys some tips. I'll be there with Angel soon, too...he's here 3 years on July 1!!! Yippee!!! Freedom to travel!!!

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Btw

After your Immigration nightmare, I can imagine how this PR card would overwhelm you. It's not that bad...I put it off forever, too...but Angel started getting anxious for it...rightfully so, I mean, I had the forms for almost a year before I sent them!

Link to Citizenship and Immigration, some questions may be answered there:

www.cic.gc.ca

Here are sample questions on the Citizenship test. How many true-born Canadians would pass this exam?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/look/look-21e.html

Last edited:

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Do you have to apply for citizenship or can a Dominican just apply for "landed immigrant" status. This is what my c/l spouse did as he does not want to denounce his US citizenship. Are the rules different for Dominicans? Just wondering.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
No, you can remain Permanent Resident/Landed Immigrant status. Some Immigrants will never become citizens, but if you're a Dominican, many more doors would open up for you with Canadian citizenship (ie the Canadian passport). No one can actually apply for Citizenship without having lived in Canada for at least 3 years.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When you apply for citezenship you have to have a total of 1095 days in the country and you have to subtract the days that you were out of country(vacations...etc). You do this on the application and make sure you have the math right before you sign and send away. $200 FOR ADULTS, $100 PER CHILD. Yris applied in November 17, 2003 and will do the test on May 12, 2004. She has been teaching citizenship classes to other immigrant for the last 2 months.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
marliejaneca said:
Do you have to apply for citizenship or can a Dominican just apply for "landed immigrant" status. This is what my c/l spouse did as he does not want to denounce his US citizenship. Are the rules different for Dominicans? Just wondering.

I think the difference is that officially you can't have another citizenship at the same time as you have American citizenship(all you Yanks correct me if I'm qwrong) Canada and the DR both allow Dual Citizenship. Since your Husband has an American Passport, being a permanent Resident would be the way to stay unless he want to work in a federal government job in Canada.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, he does not want his Canadian citizenship as he is a born and bred Minnesotan and likes it that way!!! That is why we will stop after he is granted his landed immigrant status - which by the way takes a lot longer for a US resident than a Dominican ( just ask Trina and Ricktoronto what we have been going through !!) He will still be able to recieve his pension from the US and since we are in our 40's, he will not have contributed enough in Canada to make his Canadian pension a decent one anyway!!
Congratulations on your wife, Bob, on being granted citizenship, I am curious to hear about the trials and tribulations of Dominicans and their visa/residency/citizenship experiences so that I have something to compare our situation to.
Jane - good luck to you, I didn't realize that a Domincian wouldn't be able to travel without this "another way for the government to make money scheme" permanent resident card. This is becoming insane!!
Marlie

Last edited: