Canadian Permanent Resident (Dominican nationality) applying for US Visitor's Visa

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Have any Canadians gone through this process? We'd like to drive from Calgary to Toronto (perhaps Montreal) this summer, and would travel through the US due to time savings (I'm told it cuts up to 12 hours off the journey). In order to do that, we'd need a US Visitor's visa for my husband. Has anyone gone through applying for this? Any success?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
trina said:
Have any Canadians gone through this process? We'd like to drive from Calgary to Toronto (perhaps Montreal) this summer, and would travel through the US due to time savings (I'm told it cuts up to 12 hours off the journey). In order to do that, we'd need a US Visitor's visa for my husband. Has anyone gone through applying for this? Any success?

Within 3 months of being in Canada Yris applied for an American Visa at the US Consulate in Vancouver(there is one in Calgary) paid her money and within 4-6 weeks had her American 10 year Visa. I don't know if the process has changed since 9/11, but she was able to download the application from the internet, sent her passport...etc.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Trina here is the link . They have the application that you can download like Bob said.

It also states:

Changes introduced shortly after September 11, 2001 involve extensive and ongoing review of visa issuing practices as they relate to our national security. Visa applications are now subject to a greater degree of scrutiny than in the past. So it is important to apply for your visa well in advance of your travel departure date.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Awesome, thank you very much, all! Hopefully Angel will be able to get his as easy as Yris did.

If so, Anna, expect some visitors in July!!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
trina said:
Awesome, thank you very much, all! Hopefully Angel will be able to get his as easy as Yris did.

If so, Anna, expect some visitors in July!!!

Fantastic! Let me know.

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Hope you'll be able to make it in July as well...

Trina,
I really hope that you'll be able to get the US visa for Angel so that you can visit Ontario in July. Would love to meet up with all of you!
Anna - pls do contact me when the time comes. I have been lying low for several reasons - mainly, my health has gone down hill with work related stress!
Take care
Helen

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
And I hope you'll consider a stop in Montreal on your US-Canadian tour as well. We could meet up at Marlin's or something...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Jane J. said:
And I hope you'll consider a stop in Montreal on your US-Canadian tour as well. We could meet up at Marlin's or something...

Jane and Helen, meeting you two would be some of the biggest highlights of our trip. Even if Angel doesn't get the visa, we may still come through Canada, and just not have as much time to visit...I'll have to map it out and see how it goes.

Helen, I'm sorry to hear about your recent troubles. Drop me a line sometime!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Me too, me too !!!!!!

Trina,
I was thinking about your trip last night, and thought to myself if Angel doesn't get his visa, you would then be travelling on the Trans Canada, right?
Well, we live one hour south of Hwy. 17, just east of Kenora. I know you will be pressed for time, but I would be honoured (if it happened to be time for a stop) for you and your family to be guests at our home. If you find that it doesn't work for you, I would understand. If you need cheap accommodation for one night, how is free work for you !!!!! LOL
Anyway, closer to the time, maybe we could plan a visit in Kenora on your way through if you didn't want to come down our way, you can still get to Thunder Bay from our highway so it would just offer you a different route.
Let me know !
Marlie

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
You are so sweet, thank you very much! Sounds like a great offer, we'd love to meet you, but couldn't impose. We'll have to get in touch closer to the time and go from there. How is the Immigration for your spouse coming? Any news?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe we can gather close to Toronto so many people can come. Let me know when you have a date.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
It wouldn't be an imposition whatsoever!
I wish I could get to Toronto to meet everyone there, I'll have to start shopping again at Safeway and Shell stations (or Victoria Secrets my spouse is reminding me !!) to rack up some of those air miles!!!!! Unfortunately, I am 1200 miles away so I have to hijack Trina and her family half way !!!!!
Marlie
P.S. Immigration contacted us about a month ago for some more paperwork, but haven't heard anything since. At least they are in the processing stage!!

Last edited:

Helen

Jan 1, 2002
Ontario bound...

Trina,
The offer is open for you to stay with me & my rugrat when you get into Ontario as well. Mississauga is quite close to Toronto so, that would be a good base for you to make your rounds!
There are also several questions I have for you regarding child custody when you arrive. It can probably wait until then. See?! I do have an ulterior motive for having you stay with me.
Take care...
Helen

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
A Toronto get together this summer...

with some other fellow DR1ers would be great!

Anna Coniglio said:
Maybe we can gather close to Toronto so many people can come. Let me know when you have a date.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Hmmmmm.....

:bandit: not to hijack this thread even more than it has been! LOL
But I was wondering if hitchhiking is illegal in Canada, if not, maybe I will get there after all he he he!! Just joking folks!
Seriously Trina, I wish you well in the visa process (Dominican content) but if it doesn't work out - you know where to find me!!
Marlie

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thank you all! I would love nothing better than to be able to finally meet those I've not yet met! Now this is all I can think about, I think even if he doesn't get the US visa, we'll be on our way. Another TO reunion is definitely in order. And MJ, if we have the room, you're more than welcome to hitch a ride with us!