Best beaches in the caribbean & World - Dominican Republic not in the lists?

xiv

Mar 29, 2004
I read on a website that Playa Rincon was ranked as the prettiest beach in the Caribbean and 2nd nicest beach in the world (samanaonline.com ). So I was very surprised to see that on many lists of the most beautiful beaches in the carribean & the world the Dominican Republic was not even mentioned:

http://www.bugbog.com/beaches/caribbean_beaches.html

Then in Frommers they do talk about the DR but do not talk about Playa Rincon (which I thought was one of the nicest in the Caribbean):
Frommers

BBC also made a top 5 world beaches:
BBC

Then for the most romantic beaches:
Weddingchannel

And again:
AskMen

I guess it can be very subjective to decide what the "best beaches" are, and what the criteria should be for judgment.. On top of that it's all a question of taste anyway.

Does anyone here have other lists in which the DR is included?

Thanks,

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I heard that Conde Nast Traveller had Rincon in its list of top 10 Caribbean beaches at one point.

Chiri

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
You know what ?

Having visited Playa Rincon recently, I was much captivated by its pristine beauty.

I much rather people keep hush-hush about it then seeing it on some "Top Beach" list. There are enough over-developed beaches in DR already !

Playa Rincon is still unspoiled. Let's keep it that way !

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Formosano2000 said:
Having visited Playa Rincon recently, I was much captivated by its pristine beauty.

I much rather people keep hush-hush about it then seeing it on some "Top Beach" list. There are enough over-developed beaches in DR already !

Playa Rincon is still unspoiled. Let's keep it that way !

Totally agree with you there. I heard a while back that there were plans to build a huge resort right on this beach...Something like this would completely damage this beach forever.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Former Ambassador John Bartlow Martin

Said that Macao was the most impressive he had ever seen. I think that beaches are very subjective: Like Beauty.

For us, the tranquil waters of Punta Ruc?a were perfect for our growing brood and for today's grandkids. Plop 'em and forget 'em. Keep one person on the beach to "keep and eye on things" and the rest can do whatever.

Personally, I love rough water, like Sosua after a big strom has passed. Or El Morro when a big wind is blowing. Playa Rincon is drop-jaw beautiful. Sure hope it stays that way for a while..

Nothing along the South Shore has impressed me too over much.

HB

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Playa Rinc?n

Chirimoya said:
I heard that Conde Nast Traveller had Rincon in its list of top 10 Caribbean beaches at one point.

Chiri

Playa Rinc?n, the two-mile coconut-tree-backed, rated one of the Caribbean's ten best beaches (Cond? Nast November 1996 issue).

That was a while back, but still one of the best beaches in the Caribbean, IMHO.

WebDev

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Fiesta mama,

If you want go, make sure you drive a jeep or SUV. The "trail" between the paved road and the beach is nasty. At least it was 10 months ago when I last visited.

The locals cooking on the beach had me choose the catch of the day from an icebox and then climbed a coconut palmtree to get the main ingredient in 'pescado con coco' then cooked it all over en open fire. A perfect meal ending a perfect day at the perfect beach. Very beautiful and hardly any people that day.

I'm perfectly okay with the fact that Playa Rincon is not on any best-list. Hopefully it'll stay unknown, making it a real treat for the rest of us.

Cheers,
Bok

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Thanks Bok!

This sounds like a place I will add to my list of "places to see and visit" on my next trip to the DR - hopefully this summer!

Bok said:
Fiesta mama,

If you want go, make sure you drive a jeep or SUV. The "trail" between the paved road and the beach is nasty. At least it was 10 months ago when I last visited.

The locals cooking on the beach had me choose the catch of the day from an icebox and then climbed a coconut palmtree to get the main ingredient in 'pescado con coco' then cooked it all over en open fire. A perfect meal ending a perfect day at the perfect beach. Very beautiful and hardly any people that day.

I'm perfectly okay with the fact that Playa Rincon is not on any best-list. Hopefully it'll stay unknown, making it a real treat for the rest of us.

Cheers,
Bok