Snorkeling around Las Galeras

xiv

Mar 29, 2004
I will stay at the Casa Marina Bay in Samana this june and I was wondering if it is also a nice place to do some snorkeling. I read somewhere that there is little fish to see there. Is there any place around there where fish can be seen while snorkeling? Or should a boat bring us to more "lively" places?

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Snorkelling

xiv said:
Nobody knows? :ermm:
Patience, laddie. Snorkelling from the beach is quite humdrum if you have had any decent snorkelling experiences. You can walk to Playa Madama (get detailed directions, or take a water taxi). Things are a bit more interesting there.

However, CMB has a dive shop. Ask for Peter, tell him the Old Gringo from Casa del Gatto sent you, and explain what you are looking for. Peter speaks native German, fluent English and Spanish, and can be downright insolent in all 3 if he takes a liking to you. Good luck! Stan.

I presume you were referring to Casa Marina Bay in Las Galeras. Samana is the peninsula and also the usual name for Santa Barbara de Samana which is about 30 Km from Las Galeras.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
stan chapman said:
Peter speaks native German, fluent English and Spanish, and can be downright insolent in all 3 if he takes a liking to you.

That's about right! French too, BTW.

Chiri