UK Airline query

cjbrooks

Mar 21, 2004
We are flying to DR in July with Airtours who use Mytravel airlines and I was just wondering if any-one has flown with them from the UK and could answer these questions

1. My boyfriend is over 6 feet tall with very long legs, will we we squashed tomatoes or is there plenty of room?

2. My 11 year old daughter is hyperactive (not really but she seems like that sometimes), is she going to be bored stiff?

3. What kind of entertainment is there for adults? seat back tvs?

Thanks
Caroline

Dec 9, 2002
I haven't travelled to DR with Airtours (I usually go with JMC/Thomas Cook), but I have been to other long haul destinations with them. But it really doesn't make any difference who your operator is, the charter flights from UK are all the same - they squeeze in as many as possible!

Unless you are travelling in the "premium" bit at the front you are all going to be squashed tomatoes. The cost of the premium cabin does add quite a bit (with Thomas Cook it is ?200 return per person), but personally I think it's worth it. Nine or more hours in the air is a long time to be uncomfortable!

You are all going to be bored stiff too - sorry! Even if Airtours have seat back TV (and I don't know if they do or not), the choice of channels will be limited. I watch TV, listen to my CDs, read, do crosswords - and I still get bored on long flights. Your best bet is to sleep if you can.

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
Caroline,

I have flown both Airtours and Thomas cook many times and Dominican Babe is correct in saying 'the charter flights from UK are all the same - they squeeze in as many as possible!'.

Airtours do not have seat back TV, but overhead ones at certain places along the aisle. Depending where you sit they can be a little hard to see, particularly if there is someone tall in front of you. Normally they show three films during the flight.

Hope that helps.

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Airlines

Hi Caroline,
As there are 3 of you, there will most probably be one of you that has a aisle seat-your boyfriend could sit there and stretch his legs into the aisle at every opportunity. I'm 5 foot 11 myself and it's a nightmare!!

They usually show a couple of films (you'll be lucky if you haven't seen them unless you never go to Cinema! They also show a few half hour popular sitcoms like Father Ted etc. There are lots of Radio Stations to choose from.

I usually try and get into a good book before the flight so I can read on the flight. If all else fails you can pass some time looking for the ugliest person in the cabin etc! and walk around the plane.

Once you have done 5 hours it does get easier-believe me!

Tip - Don't look at the TV which charts your journey over the atlantic (there's a little map and a pointer where the plane currently is ) as it will make the flight seem longer!!

I'm going in May and not looking forward the flight either!

Good luck!

cjbrooks

Mar 21, 2004
Thanks

Thanks to you all for posting, I guess I better go well prepared for the flight then!
Caroline