Earthquakes in the Cibao

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Earthquakes shake Cibao
An earthquake measuring 4.1 on the Richter scale struck Santiago yesterday (Tuesday, 19 April) at 12:15pm, according to the National Emergency Committee (COE). El Caribe reports say that students and residents panicked, in light of the 6.1 earthquake that tore through the area last 22 September, however no damage was reported.
Hoy newspaper says that on Sunday another earthquake shook Monte Cristi at 12:25am with a 4.3 magnitude.

Neither of the two quakes were felt in Santo Domingo, the capital city.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Dolores said:
Earthquakes shake Cibao
An earthquake measuring 4.1 on the Richter scale struck Santiago yesterday (Tuesday, 19 April) at 12:15pm, according to the National Emergency Committee (COE). El Caribe reports say that students and residents panicked, in light of the 6.1 earthquake that tore through the area last 22 September, however no damage was reported.
Hoy newspaper says that on Sunday another earthquake shook Monte Cristi at 12:25am with a 4.3 magnitude.

I felt it. I'm really getting tired of this earthquake stuff. I live in a building that is totally unsafe when a big quake comes; it has garages underneath the building. If you live in a building like this, (usually a "torre") you should be aware of this issue.

In California they will not insure buildings like this, precisely because they have a tendancy to collapse in big quakes.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Good news is that companies here will insure your building. Bad news is that you are telling yourself what to do. If you are renting, then move.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Dolores,

Dolores said:
Earthquakes shake Cibao

I do not recall feeling any quakes here in Puerto Plata over the last few days but just to get my memory banks working correctly could you confirm time & date?

By Tuesday 19th @ 12.15 pm, do you mean Tuesday 20th at 00.15 am or 12.15 pm midday, or was it MONDAY 19th at those times? Was the Sunday quake in Monte Christi @ 12.25 pm or Monday morning at 00.25 am?

Assuming (as I do from the way you phrased your notice) that it was early morning stuff, it is interesting to note the times of large quakes all seem to have been 00.15 - 01.30 am. The two back in September, a couple of others a few weeks back AND these latest ones!!! I wonder if there is a sisemological (is that the right spelling??) reason for this??? - Grahame.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Sunday one was at midnight, Monday/Tuesday one was at noon. For sure dr1ers that live in Santiago or Monte Cristi can set the dates right and report if they felt the shakes. Hillbilly told me he felt it in Santiago, but it was slight.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'm getting confused!

Dolores said:
Sunday one was at midnight, Monday/Tuesday one was at noon. For sure dr1ers that live in Santiago or Monte Cristi can set the dates right and report if they felt the shakes. Hillbilly told me he felt it in Santiago, but it was slight.
Was the Monday/Tuesday one noon on Monday or noon on Tuesday?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Mirador said:
I suggest you take all COE quake announcements with a grain of salt. I havent been able to verify many of these through the reputable quake monitoring institutions that you can access through the net, for example

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/

Mirador

Actually,

When we had all those aftershocks after the Sept. 22nd quake, those web sites you mentioned only registered about 1/3 of the quakes we actually experienced. So those web sites you have to take with a grain of salt. They wont show one that didnt exist but they certainly don't post many that did.