Cabarete Report

Cavite

Feb 28, 2004
The trip was for the week of March 31-April 7.

I have to say that our first day in DR kind of sucked. We couldn?t land on Puerto Plata because of a strike in the airport. We were force to land on Turks and Caicos airport. We were there for an hour until the workers at POP decided to go back to work. So our first day was already wasted.

We rented a car at the airport. We shouldn?t have because our hotel was really close to the strip, plus taxis were everywhere. But if you do have to rent make sure the tank is full or at least half the tank is. We were so hungry and tired to realize that the car we rented although bargained for $28 a day (They said its $38 a day usually), didn?t have enough gas. We met two cool guys on the plane who frequently go to DR and spoke the language. They were the one who haggled with the rental people for about 20 minutes. It works! Another thing, make sure you can speak some Spanish it really helps. One thing I would recommend learning is to say ?That?s ridiculous that?s too much!? hehe.

Since our car was low in gas, we had to stop at the closest gas station on the way to Cabarete from the airport. Please, avoid the shady, old and crusty Shell station we unfortunately had to get gas from. I swear I thought all gas stations looked like that, was I wrong. The young man who works there was probably plain evil or just dumb to tell me that the dollars over there at that particular location equals to 21 pesos! My bf argued with him with a piece of paper writing numbers to what the dollar correctly equals to in pesos. Of course the pesos at the time was 41 to one dollar and probably higher. But he knew that we were just foreigners who had dollars. I can speak some Spanish but this guy was just a jerk. So I was like okay this guy?s an idiot. Mind you we were really hungry and fed up with all the hassle just to get to this country. So we went on and on for about 30 minutes on this and suddenly I saw some dude walking around with a shotgun. Okay he didn?t look scary but he had a gun for crying out loud. I figured we should just go and give this guy the $60 dollars he said the gas cost. Okay it was also partly our fault for not being prepared. The thing was we should?ve changed some of our dollars to pesos at the airport. At the gas station, the amount of the gas was told to be around 1400 pesos on the meter. If we had the pesos we wouldn?t have been in this situation. Whew! Thank God that was the only bad experience we had. The rest was unbelievably great. In general, avoid shady places period.

Wow, Hotel El Magnifico was beautiful! I was so relieved and happy that they meant what they said in their website. I would definitely recommend this place. We stayed in the royal suite which to my surprise located on the ground floor with two amazing bathrooms plus we had Cable TV. It was steps away from the beach. The d?cor was modern and hip. Check it out: http://www.realadventures.com/mv/slideshow.mv?mLN=1025507 . Compared to other hotels I researched, I found this place to be perfect. It was pretty quiet compared to the hotels on the strip. We spent about $800 for a week including rental phone, safety box, beach towels and beverages in the hotel. It is not your typical hotel because it?s actually a condominium. There is no restaurant or room service but the grocery store is nearby and the kitchen has all the things you need if you decide to cook. The fridge has beverages including rum and of course Presidente which I learned to love even though I hated beer. There were fruits on the table as well when we arrived. For some, this is probably not a budget. Of course there are cheaper hotels nearby I would recommend going to www.activecabarete.com. My friends stayed in the standard room which is only about $4 cheaper than our room. They also had two bathrooms. I don?t know why but it?s great. The standard rooms are smaller but also well equipped however there are no TVs. Trust me for some people having TV in their room is quite important just ask my bf who can?t live without his TV even on vacation! Anyway, I absolutely love El Magnifico, not only the place itself but the people who work there including the four cute cats that occupy the garden and pool. It?s weird cos they drink the chlorine water in the pool!

The only disadvantage is you are not allowed to swim in front of the hotel. You will understand why. It?s rocky and the wave crash into each other, it?s very rough. The water is definitely alright if you walk a few hotels from Magnifico, to your right or if you prefer left. The beach is calmer towards your left in front of a small surf school called ?Take Off?. We met Basillio, the local young man, and his friends who work at the surf school. They were amazing kids that made our stay at Cabarete so much more interesting. They didn?t expect anything from us but our company. In return we bought toys for them and exchanged addresses when we left. Their Dad knew someone who gave us a bargain on horseback ride. We spent $20 each for a two hour ride. We rode around a village and saw how the locals live. Most of them just hang around outside their homes chatting. It was a long and slow ride. I got a little bored until we headed off to the beach. That?s when the horses started galloping! I got some bruises on my legs because I was stupid enough to wear shorts.

I have to say that motoconcho is my favorite transportation in Cabarete. For less than a dollar you can be anywhere in less time. I befriended a really nice motoconcho driver named Santo who was always by Janet?s Grocery. He was awesome cos he took me to a small animal farm where I saw a snake, alligators, turtles and an eagle! He even introduced me to his family and friends. It?s amazing how I felt really safe at Cabarete after what happened to us on our first day at Puerto Plata. I was brave enough to trust this gentleman to take me to another town by myself to see the other side of this place away from the usual: the beach the bars and restaurants.

I also learned to surf at Elcuentro through ?No WorK?. This is before we met the kids from ?Take Off?. I should?ve taken it from ?Take Off? because it?s cheaper. ?No Work? gave us a chance to meet Thomas though. I think he?s originally from France. He was a great teacher and I like his philosophy on surfing. My only concern with Elcuentro is the reef (I don?t know if they?re reefs but it?s something like that it was very rocky). Man they hurt! I would recommend wearing booties if you?re not use to this type of environment. I got some cuts and splinters. But it was worth it cos I learned to surf for $30 for three hours that includes the board and transportation plus drinking water.

In terms of restaurants let?s see if I could remember the places we went to. But the one next to Hotel Magnifico on the beach is pretty good but also expensive. There?s Las Brisas, breakfast there is alright and super cheap for $2.50 you can get omelet, fruits, bread, and tea. I recommend Pito for breakfast. They have awesome pancakes and they have breakfast until 4pm for those who like breakfast food like my bf. We went to Miro once for dinner it?s pretty good too and expensive. The place is like an art gallery, there are paintings everywhere. Lax has good banana choco frozen drink (I think it?s like $1) you have to try it and their Pina Collado is awesome. What I love about these restaurants is that they?re all on the beach! It?s really lovely. I heard other people complain about the locals selling stuff but if you politely say no they go away. I don?t think I was ever hassled except maybe by those braid ladies who insisted I braid my long hair.

Although I like the restaurants on the beach, I have to say that I absolutely loved this one Dominican Restaurant across the street from the beach. I forgot what?s it called but they have the best Dominican food for a reasonable price. Eating across the beach gives you the real feeling of the country. The street is always busy. It got quieter when we reached Semana Santa. It was too bad cos we weren?t allowed to dance. But I was lucky enough to experience the night life prior to holy week. I was kind of disappointed with the music at Bambu Bar. They played mostly reggae and techno. I was hoping to dance merengue. There is one bar that plays it I forgot the name though.

We left even before they banned the water sports. I wasn?t even sure if it was completely banned. But from what I heard as long as you have a board or the equipment you can do the sports. I guess the rentals close during this week. I also have to point out that I noticed that some of the people who visited the beach for the weekend left the beach dirty! I couldn?t believe it.

Oh also, like what most people on this forum suggested, bargain- bargain- bargain! I was such a fool to buy a pair of flip flops for 400 pesos! To find out in the grocery store it?s only 100 pesos. But of course you can get it cheaper. I learned to only buy stuff with prices on them. Most ATMs there don?t take Visa so make sure you bring some cash with you. When I went there a dollar go for 41.50 pesos. I don?t know now. Do your homework before you go. Motoconcho usually charge 20 pesos. Taxi from the airport cost about $20. If you need a cell phone, you can rent one for a week for $10, you have to buy the phone card. Also, make sure you bring good sunblock with you. I burned my back surfing..yay! I used nutrogena SPF 30 it?s supposed to be nonsticky but it doesn?t last long. Sunblocks at the pharmacies there are kinda expensive so don?t forget to bring yours. There were a few mosquitoes who managed to get into our room, so get a bottle of that too.
In terms of the weather?.GORGEOUS! It rained once when we were there and didn?t even notice.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Nice to hear you had a good time.

It sounds like you have learnt a few things for if you go back again!

Take a college course in haggling and bartering before your next visit. Nice report!

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Hey your plane was the one I was waiting on to return to the US. Your one hour delay could not have been as bad as the 9 hour trip from NYC tp
POP (3.5 hours of flight) the rest delays and non stop circling in the thunderstorms, also the two hour delay rerouting and sitting on the Santiago airport runway. No food either on the 9 hour ordeal.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I wish every gringo ( or gringa) that was about to visit the DR for the first time would log on here first and do some research. You got raped. From the gas station ( rediculous) to the price you paid for the condo for the week ( unreal) to the price you paid for a pair of flip flops ( sickening).

I am happy you had a good time and hope you go back and have a better time soon. Do a little research on here and you will be better prepared for your next trip and will realize how much money you could have saved on the first.

I am going back in a couple of weeks. I think this will be my ninth trip in 2 and 1/2 years. My last trip was 7 weeks ago. Time between trips getting shorter. Not a good sign. One of these times I will not be coming back.
Larry

nycVu

Mar 30, 2004
I am going back in a couple of weeks. I think this will be my ninth trip in 2 and 1/2 years. My last trip was 7 weeks ago. Time between trips getting shorter. Not a good sign. One of these times I will not be coming back.
Larry[/QUOTE]

- After only one trip under my belt, I definitely can feel where you're coming from... :cool:

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Omg!!!!!!!!!

$60 USD for gas in RD???? What did you rent a H2?

$800 USD for a week of lodging????? Were you staying at Hippo's vacation home?

A little bit of advice. I am glad you enjoyed your vacation there. I'm glad you met some cool locals as well. Ask them questions about things, they will help you.

For your future ANYWHERE, please do research before you go. By your 1st world spending spree in a 3rd world country, all you're doing is raising expectations in the market place there.

Anyway, not to be too negative, but Cabarete is a very nice place to visit. I'm headed back in three weeks, after a two month separation from RD. I love the place.

Things are very cheap in the country as a whole, without looking too hard. Taxi from the airport should run you about $20. Consider that I spent $30USD on a taxi to get from Santiago (1.5+ hrs away) to Cabarete. Just negotiate a little. If someone's unwilling to meet your price, walk away. You won't walk too far, I promise, before you get your way.

Rooms at the Casa Blanca, a bit down the beach are $25-45USD per night. Similar deals can be found all around the strip, maybe lower.

Motoconchos around town run about RD$20. Gua-guas into Sosua or Sabaneta (towns in 15-20 minutes on either side of Cabarete) run about RD$20. Taxis around RD$300. I've been to the island several times, never felt the need for to rent a car, plus the roads suck badly with many unmarked "speedbumps" and "potholes." I would hate to hit one of those and get stuck in the middle of nowhere, and with the cost of the repairs to the car on your hands now. Leave the driving to the locals and enjoy your vacation.

Please don't take this too hard. It's not meant to be mean-spirited, but if or when you return, please do some research, or ask questions here. I believe there are some Cabarete residents on the board that will help you.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Plan Ahead

They sell gas in pesos. Buy pesos at the airport. Pay with pesos not US$ at an inflated rate. And there is not a lot one can do about air traffic controlelr strikes, that was just bad timing but unavoidable.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
toneloc24 said:
$60 USD for gas in RD???? What did you rent a H2?

$800 USD for a week of lodging????? Were you staying at Hippo's vacation home?

A little bit of advice. I am glad you enjoyed your vacation there. I'm glad you met some cool locals as well. Ask them questions about things, they will help you.

For your future ANYWHERE, please do research before you go. By your 1st world spending spree in a 3rd world country, all you're doing is raising expectations in the market place there.

Anyway, not to be too negative, but Cabarete is a very nice place to visit. I'm headed back in three weeks, after a two month separation from RD. I love the place.

Things are very cheap in the country as a whole, without looking too hard. Taxi from the airport should run you about $20. Consider that I spent $30USD on a taxi to get from Santiago (1.5+ hrs away) to Cabarete. Just negotiate a little. If someone's unwilling to meet your price, walk away. You won't walk too far, I promise, before you get your way.

Rooms at the Casa Blanca, a bit down the beach are $25-45USD per night. Similar deals can be found all around the strip, maybe lower.

Motoconchos around town run about RD$20. Gua-guas into Sosua or Sabaneta (towns in 15-20 minutes on either side of Cabarete) run about RD$20. Taxis around RD$300. I've been to the island several times, never felt the need for to rent a car, plus the roads suck badly with many unmarked "speedbumps" and "potholes." I would hate to hit one of those and get stuck in the middle of nowhere, and with the cost of the repairs to the car on your hands now. Leave the driving to the locals and enjoy your vacation.

Please don't take this too hard. It's not meant to be mean-spirited, but if or when you return, please do some research, or ask questions here. I believe there are some Cabarete residents on the board that will help you.

You can hardly compare El Magnifico to Casa Blanca. That's like comparing the Hilton to a Motel 6. Either one is a good value, depending on your expectations and your budget.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Camden T-

Wasn't trying to compare El Magnifico & Casa Blanca. That wasn't the intention. Just stating that there are lower-priced options up and down the strip. The Casa Blanca is not the Four Seasons, or Breezes or whatever, but it's hardly spartan. Why not inform her of other options?

If they were all-inclusive type of folks, have at it. I could somewhat agree if they were a family, or honeymooners, and just wanted to be away in their own little world.

But in Cabarete, why would anyone else do an all-inclusive or resort type of place, when there are so many other decent options? I mean, most of the town centers around the strip, and the beach behind the strip. Many of the lodging options are safe, A/C'ed, within the same distance to the beach - if not on the beach, within the same distance to everything as any higher price resort.

Just trying to help her out for her next trip. Didn't sound like her idea of vacationing was being couped up at her hotel/resort.

Marrico

Mar 28, 2005
I'd like some options!

My husband & I have been to Cabarete twice now. Both times we stayed at apts. at Cita Del Sol. First time was Sept 2004 and we had a very bad time with the electricity. It was shut off more then it was on. But we loved the apt we rented from a Canadian couple. The next time we went was Feb 2005 and stayed at Cita Del Sol again, but we found out the electricity problem was solved. The trip was wonderful and the temp was perfect.
Our original intent was to stay at Kaoba Hotel, but since we cook most of our meals to save some money, their idea of a kitchen was a joke. They didn't even have an oven.

Now we are planning to go to Cabarete in Oct, 2005. We have been told they are having electrical problems again at Cita Del Sol and turn off the A/C during the day. I cannot tolerate the heat so I must have dependable A/C 24/7. We can not pay $800.00 a week for lodging. We will be staying 3 weeks again and do need an apt. that is clean, and has some of the luxuries of home. We do spend a lot of time in the apt so it has to be liveable not "roughing it".

With all that in mind, do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks

abe

Jan 2, 2002
try the Windsurf Resort

Canadian owned and operated. Apartments with A/C on demand. Own generator ensures continuous electricity. Pool, bars, full restaurant, yet well-located in town.

No big social activity--relatively quiet in that respect. Loyal, friendly staff with years of tenure.

Ask for suite away from main road and you won't be bothered by street noise.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
October is low season

October is low season so you should be able to find or bargain good rates at many of the hotels. I imagine that many properties are cutting back a bit on electricity, given the cost of gas. Places in Cabarete that have ac include:
Cabarete Surf Camp (apts only, not in all)
Residencia Dominicana
Casa Blanca
El Magnifico
Hotel Velero
Windsurf Resort
Villa Taina
Hummingbird
All inclusives (Viva, Starz, Tropical Clubs)
Hotel Caracol
Villas at Bahia de Arena/Olas de Oro
Palm Beach Condos
Nanny's Estates

If you want a quieter place, you might want to consider staying on Kite Beach. Agualina, Kite Beach Hotel and Extreme Hotel all have AC.

El Magnifico is a beautiful, unique property directly on the beach. It is not all inclusive and is a good value for what you get. I used to place a lot of people there, especially couples. It has a very charming, romantic atmosphere but is also nice for families. Casa Blanca is also a nice place, about 50 meters from the beach. You can get places in Cabarete for as low as $6US a night up to $250-$350 for a 3 bedroom penthouse oceanfront suite. Just depends on what you want.

Last edited:

Marrico

Mar 28, 2005
El Magnifico

Just the post I wanted to see. My husband and I will be going to Cabarte Sept 30 - Oct 24th. I was dealing with All Dominican Travel (don't ask me how I found them I've been to too many websites to remember). They said they could offer us a duluxe suite ( which is basically the junior suite) only on the second floor for $50.00 per night. The pictures on the Internet look lovely, but this being my third trip, I've been fooled by that before. Did you have electricity all the time? Do they have a backup generator? Since we are staying just short of a month, I want a place we will be comfortable in. We usually stay at Cita Del Sol, but they are having electrical problems now so I'm not sure if that will be fixed by the time we get there. I need A/C 24/7 as I cannot tolerate the heat.

Another question, is this hotel by Janet's Supermercado just so I know approximately where it is.

Your suite sounded very nice, but I'm wondering if you go down in categories if the quality changes. Basically. I'm asking if the lower categories are dumps. Sorry to be so blunt, but hey you gotta know before you commit.

None of the rooms have TV's? We are kind of with your boyfriend since it's too hot to go outside during the middle of the day, TV is our salvation.

Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated or even other places you might have checked out.

Thanks

Cavite said:
The trip was for the week of March 31-April 7.

I have to say that our first day in DR kind of sucked. We couldn?t land on Puerto Plata because of a strike in the airport. We were force to land on Turks and Caicos airport. We were there for an hour until the workers at POP decided to go back to work. So our first day was already wasted.

We rented a car at the airport. We shouldn?t have because our hotel was really close to the strip, plus taxis were everywhere. But if you do have to rent make sure the tank is full or at least half the tank is. We were so hungry and tired to realize that the car we rented although bargained for $28 a day (They said its $38 a day usually), didn?t have enough gas. We met two cool guys on the plane who frequently go to DR and spoke the language. They were the one who haggled with the rental people for about 20 minutes. It works! Another thing, make sure you can speak some Spanish it really helps. One thing I would recommend learning is to say ?That?s ridiculous that?s too much!? hehe.

Since our car was low in gas, we had to stop at the closest gas station on the way to Cabarete from the airport. Please, avoid the shady, old and crusty Shell station we unfortunately had to get gas from. I swear I thought all gas stations looked like that, was I wrong. The young man who works there was probably plain evil or just dumb to tell me that the dollars over there at that particular location equals to 21 pesos! My bf argued with him with a piece of paper writing numbers to what the dollar correctly equals to in pesos. Of course the pesos at the time was 41 to one dollar and probably higher. But he knew that we were just foreigners who had dollars. I can speak some Spanish but this guy was just a jerk. So I was like okay this guy?s an idiot. Mind you we were really hungry and fed up with all the hassle just to get to this country. So we went on and on for about 30 minutes on this and suddenly I saw some dude walking around with a shotgun. Okay he didn?t look scary but he had a gun for crying out loud. I figured we should just go and give this guy the $60 dollars he said the gas cost. Okay it was also partly our fault for not being prepared. The thing was we should?ve changed some of our dollars to pesos at the airport. At the gas station, the amount of the gas was told to be around 1400 pesos on the meter. If we had the pesos we wouldn?t have been in this situation. Whew! Thank God that was the only bad experience we had. The rest was unbelievably great. In general, avoid shady places period.

Wow, Hotel El Magnifico was beautiful! I was so relieved and happy that they meant what they said in their website. I would definitely recommend this place. We stayed in the royal suite which to my surprise located on the ground floor with two amazing bathrooms plus we had Cable TV. It was steps away from the beach. The d?cor was modern and hip. Check it out: http://www.realadventures.com/mv/slideshow.mv?mLN=1025507 . Compared to other hotels I researched, I found this place to be perfect. It was pretty quiet compared to the hotels on the strip. We spent about $800 for a week including rental phone, safety box, beach towels and beverages in the hotel. It is not your typical hotel because it?s actually a condominium. There is no restaurant or room service but the grocery store is nearby and the kitchen has all the things you need if you decide to cook. The fridge has beverages including rum and of course Presidente which I learned to love even though I hated beer. There were fruits on the table as well when we arrived. For some, this is probably not a budget. Of course there are cheaper hotels nearby I would recommend going to www.activecabarete.com. My friends stayed in the standard room which is only about $4 cheaper than our room. They also had two bathrooms. I don?t know why but it?s great. The standard rooms are smaller but also well equipped however there are no TVs. Trust me for some people having TV in their room is quite important just ask my bf who can?t live without his TV even on vacation! Anyway, I absolutely love El Magnifico, not only the place itself but the people who work there including the four cute cats that occupy the garden and pool. It?s weird cos they drink the chlorine water in the pool!

The only disadvantage is you are not allowed to swim in front of the hotel. You will understand why. It?s rocky and the wave crash into each other, it?s very rough. The water is definitely alright if you walk a few hotels from Magnifico, to your right or if you prefer left. The beach is calmer towards your left in front of a small surf school called ?Take Off?. We met Basillio, the local young man, and his friends who work at the surf school. They were amazing kids that made our stay at Cabarete so much more interesting. They didn?t expect anything from us but our company. In return we bought toys for them and exchanged addresses when we left. Their Dad knew someone who gave us a bargain on horseback ride. We spent $20 each for a two hour ride. We rode around a village and saw how the locals live. Most of them just hang around outside their homes chatting. It was a long and slow ride. I got a little bored until we headed off to the beach. That?s when the horses started galloping! I got some bruises on my legs because I was stupid enough to wear shorts.

I have to say that motoconcho is my favorite transportation in Cabarete. For less than a dollar you can be anywhere in less time. I befriended a really nice motoconcho driver named Santo who was always by Janet?s Grocery. He was awesome cos he took me to a small animal farm where I saw a snake, alligators, turtles and an eagle! He even introduced me to his family and friends. It?s amazing how I felt really safe at Cabarete after what happened to us on our first day at Puerto Plata. I was brave enough to trust this gentleman to take me to another town by myself to see the other side of this place away from the usual: the beach the bars and restaurants.

I also learned to surf at Elcuentro through ?No WorK?. This is before we met the kids from ?Take Off?. I should?ve taken it from ?Take Off? because it?s cheaper. ?No Work? gave us a chance to meet Thomas though. I think he?s originally from France. He was a great teacher and I like his philosophy on surfing. My only concern with Elcuentro is the reef (I don?t know if they?re reefs but it?s something like that it was very rocky). Man they hurt! I would recommend wearing booties if you?re not use to this type of environment. I got some cuts and splinters. But it was worth it cos I learned to surf for $30 for three hours that includes the board and transportation plus drinking water.

In terms of restaurants let?s see if I could remember the places we went to. But the one next to Hotel Magnifico on the beach is pretty good but also expensive. There?s Las Brisas, breakfast there is alright and super cheap for $2.50 you can get omelet, fruits, bread, and tea. I recommend Pito for breakfast. They have awesome pancakes and they have breakfast until 4pm for those who like breakfast food like my bf. We went to Miro once for dinner it?s pretty good too and expensive. The place is like an art gallery, there are paintings everywhere. Lax has good banana choco frozen drink (I think it?s like $1) you have to try it and their Pina Collado is awesome. What I love about these restaurants is that they?re all on the beach! It?s really lovely. I heard other people complain about the locals selling stuff but if you politely say no they go away. I don?t think I was ever hassled except maybe by those braid ladies who insisted I braid my long hair.

Although I like the restaurants on the beach, I have to say that I absolutely loved this one Dominican Restaurant across the street from the beach. I forgot what?s it called but they have the best Dominican food for a reasonable price. Eating across the beach gives you the real feeling of the country. The street is always busy. It got quieter when we reached Semana Santa. It was too bad cos we weren?t allowed to dance. But I was lucky enough to experience the night life prior to holy week. I was kind of disappointed with the music at Bambu Bar. They played mostly reggae and techno. I was hoping to dance merengue. There is one bar that plays it I forgot the name though.

We left even before they banned the water sports. I wasn?t even sure if it was completely banned. But from what I heard as long as you have a board or the equipment you can do the sports. I guess the rentals close during this week. I also have to point out that I noticed that some of the people who visited the beach for the weekend left the beach dirty! I couldn?t believe it.

Oh also, like what most people on this forum suggested, bargain- bargain- bargain! I was such a fool to buy a pair of flip flops for 400 pesos! To find out in the grocery store it?s only 100 pesos. But of course you can get it cheaper. I learned to only buy stuff with prices on them. Most ATMs there don?t take Visa so make sure you bring some cash with you. When I went there a dollar go for 41.50 pesos. I don?t know now. Do your homework before you go. Motoconcho usually charge 20 pesos. Taxi from the airport cost about $20. If you need a cell phone, you can rent one for a week for $10, you have to buy the phone card. Also, make sure you bring good sunblock with you. I burned my back surfing..yay! I used nutrogena SPF 30 it?s supposed to be nonsticky but it doesn?t last long. Sunblocks at the pharmacies there are kinda expensive so don?t forget to bring yours. There were a few mosquitoes who managed to get into our room, so get a bottle of that too.
In terms of the weather?.GORGEOUS! It rained once when we were there and didn?t even notice.

a.claessens

Oct 16, 2005
Cita del Sol in full operation!

Dear Marrico, on behalf of the owners association of Cita del Sol I would like to let you know that Cita del Sol has no energy problems anymore. Due to the energycrisis we had to shut of the power between 13.00 and 15.00 hr for a short while, but that is over!
So we would love to see you and your husband back for another visit at Cita del Sol! Ask our reception for the apartment that you liked so much and they will be happy to accomodate you (and everyone else of course!).
Anne-Marie