any changes since '98???

stimpy

Apr 23, 2004
this is a great website, i've been reading in it for awhile now. i was in the DR back in '98 for sometime and am wondering what, if anything has changed? the reason i ask is that i'm visiting this june, and am pretty excited about the return.

i spent most of my time in el capital, and the southwest part of the island. i plan on spending some time in santo domingo, but am interested in visiting the north. any suggestions of good beach resorts up there?

i hope the driving hasn't changed too much, it was always an adventure everytime i got behind the wheel. the only thing i'm nervous about is i could talk (or act stupid) my way out of problems with the traffic police. any suggestions there?

I know i'm rambling on, but what about the snorkeling up north? where are the best spots?

thanks, i look forward to hearing back.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I think Sosua has one of the nicest beaches. Its a good place for snorkelling and scuba diving (plenty of coral reef).

One thing that has changed since '98 is the money. For my honeymoon in '98 i was getting 22 pesos to the english pound, now its 77!

carribean_mom

Apr 20, 2004
North Coast

Hola!!!!! Hello!!!!!!
We just got back from the Luperon Beach Resort, it is on the North Coast. The resort was AWESOME, rated a 3+ but in my opinion it was higher :)

We did some snorkeling at the resort, took a zip lock bag with bread, it was amazing, the fish were all around us, and the coral was beautiful.
There is a snorkeling tour you can take, but we didnt do it.
The driving was a little crazy, but we survived.
Hope this helps you some. :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
No, the driving is still the same. People are free to do what they want, No rules! Well, there is one rule everybody follows, the bigger the car the more right of way you have. Also, going north from Santo Domingo up until the Cibao is much smoother than going west, because it's a super highway with north and south bounds. The good thing is that you don't have to worry too much about people coming in the opposite direction on your lane. The bad thing is that people are still very crazy, but the ride is very scenic. Remember to take your camera. In my opinion, the north is much more beautiful than the western part of the country. For a beach resort on the north coast, anything in Playa Dorada would be fine and the Hilton Coral Marien Resort is nice. I will also say Piergiorgio Hotel in Sosua is very nice for a privately owned (not multi-national) hotel. The town of Sosua is also nice with a decent nighlife. Cabarete is always hip with the young crowd and Puerto Plata is just there, sometimes chock full with tourist and other times with no tourist in sight. Last, but not least, as you make your way north, once you reach the city of Santiago, try to go to the Centro Cultural Leon Jimenes. It's suppose to be one of the best new museums in the country, possibly the entire Caribbean. Enjoy the Dominican Republic!

stimpy

Apr 23, 2004
do you have anymore info on Luperon Beach Resort? Do they have a website? Sounds like a nice place.

carribean_mom said:
Hola!!!!! Hello!!!!!!
We just got back from the Luperon Beach Resort, it is on the North Coast. The resort was AWESOME, rated a 3+ but in my opinion it was higher :)

We did some snorkeling at the resort, took a zip lock bag with bread, it was amazing, the fish were all around us, and the coral was beautiful.
There is a snorkeling tour you can take, but we didnt do it.
The driving was a little crazy, but we survived.
Hope this helps you some. :)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
People are still crossing the streets (now many are highways!) on foot and/or on a 70 - of course, while holding the newborn and the other 3 kids along with the gas tank on the trunk of the moto. LOL...

Nal0whs said:
No, the driving is still the same. People are free to do what they want, No rules! Well, there is one rule everybody follows, the bigger the car the more right of way you have. Also, going north from Santo Domingo up until the Cibao is much smoother than going west, because it's a super highway with north and south bounds. The good thing is that you don't have to worry too much about people coming in the opposite direction on your lane. The bad thing is that people are still very crazy, but the ride is very scenic. Remember to take your camera. In my opinion, the north is much more beautiful than the western part of the country. For a beach resort on the north coast, anything in Playa Dorada would be fine and the Hilton Coral Marien Resort is nice. I will also say Piergiorgio Hotel in Sosua is very nice for a privately owned (not multi-national) hotel. The town of Sosua is also nice with a decent nighlife. Cabarete is always hip with the young crowd and Puerto Plata is just there, sometimes chock full with tourist and other times with no tourist in sight. Last, but not least, as you make your way north, once you reach the city of Santiago, try to go to the Centro Cultural Leon Jimenes. It's suppose to be one of the best new museums in the country, possibly the entire Caribbean. Enjoy the Dominican Republic!