rental car?

stimpy

Apr 23, 2004
i can't decide whether to rent a car or take taxi's once i get down there. if i do decide to go with a rental car, would it be cheaper? easier? safer? etc.?

And should I book one online or just get one when I get down there? the cheapest I can find online is about $220US / week.

thanks in advance.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
stimpy said:
i can't decide whether to rent a car or take taxi's once i get down there. if i do decide to go with a rental car, would it be cheaper? easier? safer? etc.?

And should I book one online or just get one when I get down there? the cheapest I can find online is about $220US / week.

thanks in advance.

Cheapest is really not the best in the DR. My advice is to go with a company that can support you if you have a problem.

Use the search function of this board, hundreds of messages on this topic.
Also take a look at http://dr1.com/national/

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Taxis May Be Safer

stimpy said:

thanks in advance.

You haven't said what you are doing or where you are staying but it takes a lot of taxi rides to use up US$220 a week plus tax and insurance and the hair color you have to buy since you will have all white hair after the first 4 hours of driving in the capital. Plus it takes a lot of time quite often to get a car at the airport and turn it back in and frankly unless you are covering a lot of ground use taxis.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I just returned from the DR

where I put nearly 1,400 Km on a 14 passenger Nissan van and nearly 600 Km on a Nissan Sentra from National. The average driver would do well to heed ricktoronto's advice and use a taxi.

Drivers here aren't as disciplined as they should be, the roadways are often in disrepair, and signage is terrible where you need it the most.

Now if you like jumping curbs, driving the wrong way down a one way or going 5 wide down a 2 lane highway (2 going with me and 3 coming at me), then go ahead and rent that car! You will have a blast as long as you don't panic. :)

Swede

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
stimpy
"the cheapest I can find online is about $220US / week."

What vehicle was this for by the way?

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
You didn't say where you're needing the rental, but..

we have had excellent service from Universal Car Rental in Cabarete. their website is http://www.universalcarrental.com . It will give you prices, etc.
The longer you rent, the more the discount. For a Corolla, expect to pay around $30/day which includes taxes and insurance.

They will meet you at POP airport - arriving and departing. You give them credit card number for security and pay them up front for the car. But last time, they didn't ask for our money until end of trip. The main sales person is a beautiful woman named Dairy. She has a cell phone where you can contact her day or night if you have questions/issues. The cars are in good shape, although they may have a knob or something broken inside. Mechanically and structurally - they are sound.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Taxi Better Than Car Rental

By All Means I Recommend You Take Taxis Since A Usd300 Budget Should Take You A Long Way...the Hassles Of Renting And Driving
In A Place You Are Not Familiar With Are Not Worth It!

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I have rented a car seven trips now from a little place in Sosua by the "waterfront" rest. and by the Casa Marina Reef. He always asks me what price I want to pay and we usually agree about $ 23 USD a day. I rented jeep type vehicles, something called a skoda or skrotum ( I don't know )and Toyotas. The only thing I don't like doing is leaving my passport with them, so I have learned they will hold a rubbing of a credit card, which I always bring an expired card so I don't get any surprises. The car Rental place has a yellow tweety bird out front. So far no problems.