Leaving POP airport

bak

Apr 26, 2004
Can anyone tell me how a Dominican avoids being stopped by immigration at the POP airport when trying to leave on a flight to the US without immigration stopping that person and asking how much traveling money they have with them and then telling them that is not enough and stopping them from leaving and taking their passport. Even tho the Dominican is visiting someone in the US and will be staying with them and will have no expense out of their own pocket. This has happened at least twice to this person and his trips have been delayed about two weeks each time besides having to pay for atty fees to get his passport back and a number from immigration so he can go thru the line the next time without being stopped. I would appreciate any input anyone has on this subject.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
bak said:
Can anyone tell me how a Dominican avoids being stopped by immigration at the POP airport when trying to leave on a flight to the US without immigration stopping that person and asking how much traveling money they have with them and then telling them that is not enough and stopping them from leaving and taking their passport. Even tho the Dominican is visiting someone in the US and will be staying with them and will have no expense out of their own pocket. This has happened at least twice to this person and his trips have been delayed about two weeks each time besides having to pay for atty fees to get his passport back and a number from immigration so he can go thru the line the next time without being stopped. I would appreciate any input anyone has on this subject.
I went with a fairly wealthy Dominican overseas and he had his *** busted by customs until he parted with 5$ US. They threatened to take him downstairs to ask questions until he flight had already left.

These are first class scum that is the product of a government rife with graft, greed and corruption. I was pissed my friend gave the SOB the 5 bux.

Scott

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
bak said:

I hate those bastards at the POP airport. I'm not sure what to tell you in the case at hand, but we've had trouble at the POP airport every single time we go back. Firstly in getting through customs, and secondly in leaving. We got off cheap last time, $5 CDN at entry (they should've specified they wanted American, heh!), and we paid nothing coming back. On the way back, it was hell. It was April 2003, and when Angel (my husband) was trying to leave, they asked for his Canadian PR card. Keep in mind through this story, my 18-month-old had a bad case of quemaitos and his whole body was covered in about 200 water blisters...he wasn't wearing a shirt, and it was very apparent he was uncomfortable, and we'd had a week of hell.

Canada had just started issuing PR cards to replace the Permanent Residence Visa in October 2002, and they were valid for travel until December 2003, so we were covered. We didn't have Angel's PR card yet, but didn't need it. They weren't going to let him go through (obviously looking for $$$ to "forget" about it, but we weren't doing anything wrong, so like hell if I was going to pay!). This agent STALKED my husband, following us and stopping us SEVEN, yes seven times, asking to see his passport. I kept my cool :cool: , but Angel was slowly starting to lose it. The last time he stopped Angel was after we'd walked the runway to the plane. I was on the plane wondering where he was, because he had just been behind me. We had a very sick 18-month-old, and I walked off the plane to the runway to see what was going on. Here's this mofo harrassing Angel again, for the seventh time. I finally grabbed a pen and paper out of my purse and demanded his name and badge number so I could write a letter of a tourist's (heh - at times like this, I like playing that one for what it's worth) experience at the POP airport to the authorities. He took off, real fast. We finally got rid of him. I hate those jerks...

S

Stephen

We fly out of Santiago..............

..............and into Puerto Plata, just to avoid those IDIOTS!

I can't believe that there isn't a way that all these posts can get sent to the proper people!

The only way that it will ever stop is to make sure that they only hire people with VISA's to travel somewhere. These people are just NOBODIES and are jealous to see anyone who can leave!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I know how you feel!

trina said:
I hate those bastards at the POP airport. I'm not sure what to tell you in the case at hand, but we've had trouble at the POP airport every single time we go back. Firstly in getting through customs, and secondly in leaving. We got off cheap last time, $5 CDN at entry (they should've specified they wanted American, heh!), and we paid nothing coming back. On the way back, it was hell. It was April 2003, and when Angel (my husband) was trying to leave, they asked for his Canadian PR card. Keep in mind through this story, my 18-month-old had a bad case of quemaitos and his whole body was covered in about 200 water blisters...he wasn't wearing a shirt, and it was very apparent he was uncomfortable, and we'd had a week of hell.

Canada had just started issuing PR cards to replace the Permanent Residence Visa in October 2002, and they were valid for travel until December 2003, so we were covered. We didn't have Angel's PR card yet, but didn't need it. They weren't going to let him go through (obviously looking for $$$ to "forget" about it, but we weren't doing anything wrong, so like hell if I was going to pay!). This agent STALKED my husband, following us and stopping us SEVEN, yes seven times, asking to see his passport. I kept my cool :cool: , but Angel was slowly starting to lose it. The last time he stopped Angel was after we'd walked the runway to the plane. I was on the plane wondering where he was, because he had just been behind me. We had a very sick 18-month-old, and I walked off the plane to the runway to see what was going on. Here's this mofo harrassing Angel again, for the seventh time. I finally grabbed a pen and paper out of my purse and demanded his name and badge number so I could write a letter of a tourist's (heh - at times like this, I like playing that one for what it's worth) experience at the POP airport to the authorities. He took off, real fast. We finally got rid of him. I hate those jerks...
I went with my brother to our vacation home in Cabarete a few years ago and when we were leaving POP airport, I was stopped by the biggest jack ax in history. He tried everything in order to get money from us. Mind you, we are american citizens. He tried to intimidate us by telling us all type of things that we were going to lose if we did not show him our Certificate of Naturalization, as if anybody travels with such paper. My brother is one that he does not like to lose his patience and I VERYYY well known in Cabarete. He just told me to take care of it because, as he said, "I have a reputation here and as a joke, I want you to take care of it". The first thing that I told that moron was that I have had the most wonderful time in Cabarete and that if he thinks that he was going to spoil it, that I was willing to stay in the country for months if that was going to be enough time for me to get him fired. I started screaming at him and calling him all names in the book and I made sure that everybody knew that he was doing all this because we refused to give him money. Diplomatically, I made a scene while my brother was just sitting and giving me little smiles as in "I knew that you would take care of it". He called security and threatened to put me in hancuffes and told him that I dared him. When he finaly said to me "I will do you a favor and I will let you go, be thankful to God", I lost it again and told him to go F*** himself because I was talking for every person that he had abused. I called him a ladron, infeliz, pendejo, pajaro, and all the name you can think of because I did not cared, and I told him so. When some detectives came to "take me away" I told them to do as they please because even if I had to spend all the money that I have, I was not going to let that ladron take one cent from me. They spoke to him and MADE him apologize to me. I told him again to go f*** himself and on our way we went. All of a sudden I see my "cool and colected brother" get up from his seat and whisper something to one of the detective something, it just happen that my brother has the biggest connections in Sosua, Puerto Plata and Cabarete and he told the detective to tell that Custom Agent to enjoy his last day of work because as soon as we land in the US, he was going to make just one phone call. That ax never told me because, as he told me, "I just wanted my favorite brother to have a taste of the Dominican Republic and what every day people have to deal with these morons, job well done". A few days later I asked him what happened with that situation and he told me that, that guy would not be abusing anybody else. Then I added, " one down, so many more to go".
Just give them hell and scream and have one of those "I don't care what you do to me" attitude. Ask for their names and badge and tell them that you will report them and that you do not care if you lose the plane. If they see fear in you, they WILL try and take advangate of you.

lensky

May 17, 2004
Can we somehow as Dominicans living outside of the country do something to stop that. I avoid traveling back to the beloved Country and forego seeying my family to avoid such a thing. For the past 32 years I have been back not enough times and yet every time I am stopped and taken to the immigration office because I look like or my name sounds like ( and that reading the passpor upside down) some military man they have been looking for since the days of the regime...and through all this , one needs to smile and avoid flaring this people's passions to speed the momment they decide they are not getting anything out of you and let you go. I would like to think all this is one day going to change and hope and hope and hope...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Don't travel out of POP airport. They are all ladrones like the rest of puerto platenos. I have always hated going out or coming in from POP. I was always lucky enough to have someone important receive me (to aviod customs etc). But now with the new government, I will lose all the contacts and would have to rebuild new ones.
STI airport is all easy going. They are not accostomed to such aggresive bribery schemes. If you bring in items that can be taxed then simply hand over 5 dollars and your suitcase will not be touched at all. I have had problem in boarding the plane 2 times (because I am pakistani born with USA passport and DR residency). They seem to think they can persuade me to hand over a few bucks but I always talk my way out of the mess. They are no way as aggressive as the POP ladrones.
AZB