Weather to Expect and Earthquake Prediction?

mikefromphilly

Apr 27, 2004
My fiance and I are traveling to Punta Cana for our honeymoon for the middle of May, and I was hoping to get some guidance on what type of weather to expect for May 10-20 timeframe. I am finding a lot of reports that say rain or thunderstorms and high humidity. Is this accurate of what to expect? Is the rain typically for brief periods with sun during most day hours?
Also, I am hearing there are earthquake predictions for the area...would this potentially hit near Punta Cana, if these predictions are at all valid?
Thanks in advance for any information!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As far as earthquakes are concerned, nobody can tell you when, where or whether there will be one. Just like nobody knows for sure which planes will fall out of the sky. If these things really bother you, best stay home.

Re the weather in mid-May, best to wait for the predictions closer to your date of departure. and when you read them, most of our rain comes in short showers, sometimes very heavy showers, interspersed with sunshine. Very few days completely lost due to rain. Bring an umbrella and light rain jacket and you will be ready for anything.

mikefromphilly

Apr 27, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for the info...I should restate my question re earthquakes, as obviously no one can predict...are there particular areas that have fault lines or are subject to greater risk than others. Thanks again!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
mikefromphilly said:
Thanks for the info...I should restate my question re earthquakes, as obviously no one can predict...are there particular areas that have fault lines or are subject to greater risk than others. Thanks again!

Punta Cana is not a high risk area for earthquakes. I don't think anyone can plan a vacation on whether an earthquake can affect an area. San Francisco, California is a high risk earthquake area and I doubt very much that stops anyone but the extremely precautious from traveling there!

For your information, a 6.1 earthquake shook the Dominican Republic (the higher risk areas of Santiago and Puerto Plata) last September. All hotel structures withstood the hurricane outstandingly well, thus earthquakes should be the furthest of your concerns when traveling here. You should be more concerned about getting a bad sunburn.

For a link on what to expect weather-wise, see http://dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml