Are you ready for this?I'm starting to like bachata

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
This week I watched the finals for the "Bailadores de Bachata" dancing contest and I saw some of the sharpest, coolest dancers in DR. They remind me of my old days in New York dancing salsa. The music they danced to was not the old boring bachata of years ago. It seems that bachata has made a big jump in perfecting its rythmn and modernizing their genre. The new bachata is not only catchy, but very well crafted and it certainly reminds me of the early alternative rock music from the 70's and 80's like Julian Cope, The Church, Killing Joke and others. Perhaps the most influence has been brought by Aventura's new style, which is being followed by newer stars like Elvis Martinez. Even Thalia's "No Me Ense?aste" sounds better in bachata style(very sharp)
But my very favorite song besides all of Aventura's music is the incredibly exciting "Barco A La Deriva" version by Eugeny Castillo. If I get up to dance bachata with a great dancer, this is the song to do it with. If you don't get up with this song, you're dead. It is fast and furious and super catchy. Try it.
This stuff is not only for chopos anymore.
TW

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Golo100 said:
This stuff (bachata) is not only for chopos anymore.
TW

I never thought I'd see this day...

If this is your idea of an April Fools Day joke, you're 29 days late, Golo...next thing you know, you'll be talking about giving Haitians equal rights...a female President...perhaps Johnny Ventura as the greatest singer of all time?...what's coming next???

:classic:

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
you've changed your tune!

Golo100 said:
This week I watched the finals for the "Bailadores de Bachata" dancing contest and I saw some of the sharpest, coolest dancers in DR. They remind me of my old days in New York dancing salsa. The music they danced to was not the old boring bachata of years ago. It seems that bachata has made a big jump in perfecting its rythmn and modernizing their genre. The new bachata is not only catchy, but very well crafted and it certainly reminds me of the early alternative rock music from the 70's and 80's like Julian Cope, The Church, Killing Joke and others. Perhaps the most influence has been brought by Aventura's new style, which is being followed by newer stars like Elvis Martinez. Even Thalia's "No Me Ense?aste" sounds better in bachata style(very sharp)
But my very favorite song besides all of Aventura's music is the incredibly exciting "Barco A La Deriva" version by Eugeny Castillo. If I get up to dance bachata with a great dancer, this is the song to do it with. If you don't get up with this song, you're dead. It is fast and furious and super catchy. Try it.
This stuff is not only for chopos anymore.
TW

My!..My!...you've changed your tune!....well, a lot of the newer bachatas have nice rythms and watching the dancers on TV is pleasing since they have a lot of style....I remember when I arrived a few years back I had no idea what this was...I enjoyed watching the country people dancing to it though and slowly over the years have become to like some selected bachatas...in any case, it is, and always will be, CHOPO music.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Well, I have tried it.

and it's not bad, my husband and I really enjoyed dancing it. There's nothing wrong with that.

Say, this thread is going to give Miguel some serious competition, who w/ of thought. Golo liking bachata, Dios mio :classic:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
This post really could've been encompassed under

"Curiousities, Curiosities, and more DR Curiosities"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It sure got my attention!

The phrase, Trina my dear, is "curiouser and curiouser"...I think it is from Alice in Wonderland...

Bachata is good, Two feet better than four feet. Hummm, methinks this is Rightspeak in the DR!!

HB

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
What happened???

Who took Golo100? Please, return him...we forgive him...but this is not the real Golo100...it can't be...he not only changed his tune...he actually LIKES bachata??? It can't be...no, no...
Please someone wake me up...I MUST be dreaming!!! ;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Praise,El Jefe Supremo Del Mundo",Luis Vargas!

Who first introduced me to "La Bachata" in "Chopo Discotecas",like "Hawaii Kai",in "Los Mina",and "El Crystal",in "Ensanche La Fe" in the "80,s"!

Now if "golo" will admit to listening to "Bachata" in a "Colmadon" in "Cristo Rey",while sipping "Presidante con Clamato",the end of the World will be at hand!!!!!!!
Next we will hear that "AZB" has married a "UBH" with "Bad Hair", :cheeky: from Sosua,and is converting to Judiism!!!!!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
All any of you have to do is look at the historical significance of developments in "Popular" music.

Changes in musical style has always had it's roots in "lower" elements of any society. Folk music has always been the begining element of those changes.

I'm reminded of the explosive development of "Rock" and "Country Music" in the USA and the going away of the "ballad" type of music that was so prevalent for so many yeaars.

So, why not the popular embracing of "Bachata" in the DR and it's incursion into the other nations of the "south of the border" mileau??

Just a thought--- for what it's worth?

Texas Bill

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
frank alvarez said:
My!..My!...you've changed your tune!....well, a lot of the newer bachatas have nice rythms and watching the dancers on TV is pleasing since they have a lot of style....I remember when I arrived a few years back I had no idea what this was...I enjoyed watching the country people dancing to it though and slowly over the years have become to like some selected bachatas...in any case, it is, and always will be, CHOPO music.

We've heard these comments many times over by all kinds of people who say "Me...Listen to Bachata? No way that would make me a chopo...bla, bla, bla..."

In the end whether you guys like it or not, we Dominicans are at least 95% chopo, Bachata is our music and we're taking over. Those who can't adapt will be left behind. You'll all be like Maria Obetsanov who thinks people still listen to Mangulina.

As for Golo, those of you guys who have followed his DR1 "career" should know that I've commented in the past that he's a chopo at heart, even if he tries to appear otherwise. He likes girls from Cotui (who doesn't?), likes to have threesomes in cabanas, carries a gun like a vaquero, likes regetton music (Tego Calderon and others)...Bachata was just the natural progression.

Just remember, chopos have more fun!!!

Suarezn (Chopo 4 life)

Last edited:

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Bachata is my favorite...

Golo100... I don't know what you used to listen to but I have to say that although bachata is supposedly "chopo" music, it is my favorite and I can easily see how you have finally been affected by it. I prefer Bachata over Merengue or Salsa any day. It goes with my personality - easygoing, relaxing music.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
suarezn said:
We've heard these comments many times over by all kinds of people who say "Me...Listen to Bachata? No way that would make me a chopo...bla, bla, bla..."

In the end whether you guys like it or not, we Dominicans are at least 95% chopo, Bachata is our music and we're taking over. Those who can't adapt will be left behind. You'll all be like Maria Obetsanov who thinks people still listen to Mangulina.

As for Golo, those of you guys who have followed his DR1 "career" should know that I've commented in the past that he's a chopo at heart, even if he tries to appear otherwise. He likes girls from Cotui (who doesn't?), likes to have threesomes in cabanas, carries a gun like a vaquero, likes regetton music (Tego Calderon and others)...Bachata was just the natural progression.

Just remember, chopos have more fun!!!

Suarezn (Chopo 4 life)

Suarez you are tooo funny..... (LIKE A VAQUERO) jajajajajajjaajja!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Frank

I will not even enter into my regular diatribe. It's not worth the energy. As such, based on your response to Golo, call me chopita campesina...thank you very much.

Funny thing happened last night. I was dancing a sweet bachata and my dance partner said I must be from el cibao the way I moved my hips.

I said yeah...I just forgot to mention it was by way of NYC! I had to school southern US-Dominican cibaenos how it is done just right.

:p
Voy pa' lla
Deelt

frank alvarez said:

Apr 26, 2002
Criss Colon said:
Who first introduced me to "La Bachata" in "Chopo Discotecas",like "Hawaii Kai",in "Los Mina",and "El Crystal",in "Ensanche La Fe" in the "80,s"!

Now if "golo" will admit to listening to "Bachata" in a "Colmadon" in "Cristo Rey",while sipping "Presidante con Clamato",the end of the World will be at hand!!!!!!!
Next we will hear that "AZB" has married a "UBH" with "Bad Hair", :cheeky: from Sosua,and is converting to Judiism!!!!!

:laugh: There goes my Presidente (sin Clamato) spraying out my nose again.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Texas Bill said:
All any of you have to do is look at the historical significance of developments in "Popular" music.

Changes in musical style has always had it's roots in "lower" elements of any society. Folk music has always been the begining element of those changes.

Texas Bill

Too bad it took Bachata so long to become mainstream. It has been popular for quite some time?

This is exactly how rap music started. Blues as well, Bachata is our way of singing the blues. That?s the way I've had to explain it to non-Dominicans who don?t understand Spanish. The difference is that Dominicans are of a happy nature and thus our Blues have to be sung with a catchy tone and dancing music. If we didn?t dance to it, then we would all be slitting our wrists after really listening to most of the lyrics.

Cuanto cuernos y despecho!!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The next surprises I have for you: Things I will be achieving next

To complete my full trasnsformation to "chopo" status I will be doing the following..next.

1.I will ask Yoscar Sarante and SuarezN to be the godfathers for my next son.
2.I will throw away my "Future Sound of London" collection and change it for Johnny Ventura's Greatest Hits.
3.I will begin a tour of Sosua seediest joints with AZB and Criss.
4.I will marry a campesina from Sabana Iglesia.
5.I will sell my penthouse and move to Los Mameyes and park my car in the Voladoras lot.
6.I will establish "Palenque" as my official beach and "La Toma" as my official balneario.
7.I will pay my first visit to AquaSplash and switch my Sundays from Malecon Libre to el V Centenario Libre.
8.I will adopt a Sankie as my permanent companion and change my laid back gel-ized long hair to braids done in Boca Chica by a Puta/stylist.
9.I will start a beach vendor franchise at Costamabar.
10.I will join Los Prados Club.
11.I will begin to practice to make Los Mameyes Softball Team sponsored by Hype Ole.
12.I will take my next vacation in Villa Altagracia and visit Sergio Vargas.
13.I will hire Krisspy to play in my next birthday.
14.I will order my "Jordan #23" shirt. I already bought his 18.5 $7000 sneakers.
15.I will chose my partner(Musicqueen)for the Bailadores de Bachata contest.
16.I will switch to Oscar De La Renta's ready to menswear and throw away my Matsudas and D & G's.
17.I will change my Onyx for a 22k heavy gold neckchain.
18.I will switch all my accounts to Banco Popular and do all my transactions on the 25th. and 30th. of the month "para darme un ba?o de pueblo".
19.I will join Los Mameyes PRD base(filial) and vote for Hipolito.
20.I will nickname my son "El Guapito de Gurabo".
21.I will attend Sunday church at Cristo Rey's instead of Jesus Maestro parish.
22.I will shop at Megacentro instead of Multicentro from now on.
23.I will switch my Bang & Oluffsen stereo for a Daiwa.
24.I will change my Gibson refrigerator for "La Bendita".
25.I will buy my first Camry.
NOW THE LIST OF MY TOP 20 CHOPO HITS..BUY THEM!!!!
1.Loca Conmigo-Toros Band
2.Si tu estuvieras-Toros Band
3.Tonto Corazon-Rubby Perez
4.Nada De Nada-Frank reyes
5.Amigo Mio-To?o Rosario & Tego Calderon
6.Dile-Don Omar
7.Necesito un Amor-Andy Andy
8.Cuando Volveras-Krisspy
9.Barco A La Deriva-Eugeni Castillo
10.Intentalo Tu-Joe Veras
Others; Hermanita-Aventura;La Cura-Pe?a Suazo(Banda Gorda);Asi te Amo-Elvis Martinez;El Amor Me Mata-Johnny Ventura;
Any other ideas I should follow????
TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
But will you eat,"Jonny Cake"? and drink "Mabi"?

Lets meet at "Casa De Mofongo" over a "Presidente con Clamato"! Better yet at the "King of Mofongo" on Sosua beach!The Mofongo is so greasy that it drips off your elbows while you eat.And the toasted garlic will be on your breath for days!!!You can eat "Mofongo" and watch the "Cueritos" walking by for hours!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC"Que Pais"!! :p

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Criss

I specially like the mabi sold by a bicicletero in recycled green bottles with a cap placed by hand and with a fly inside. $5 pesos la botella, and $6 if you keep the botella. And nothing in the world like watching "chopas" walk by!!!
By the way, I got bad news for you. One of my two chopas I took to a 30 de Mayo caba?a lift her head and I got caught bringing in two of them. The attendant called me and said...GOTCHA!!! But he was like any other "policia". He offered to just take a bribe and let me go without charging me extra for the added p-ssy. I gave him $30.

TW