Htl Viva Tangerine - some questions.. Please help

Salser0

May 5, 2004
Hi Dr1 peeps,
you have a really great forum, I already got a lot of information out of it. Im going to Cabarete at the end of may and dont know which hotel to choose (im 26).

Either itll be the Azzuro Beach Club or the Viva Tangerine, the Tangerine being 150$ mor expensive but having one star more.

Which hotel would you prefer?

At which hotel are more younger people (19 - 30), or where there many when you were at the hotel ?

Can somebody say anything about the animation and the music they play in the resort?

What about the dancing classes - are there good teachers who can teach some "advanced" bachata and merengue?

What about beachvolleyball - do they offer some games?

Is it really only 5 mins from the Tangerine to Cabarete?

Which one has got the nicer beach?

Where can I book these hotels (at reasonable prices) online, except the page from the hotel company?

Counting, 21, 20 ... :)

Michael

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Michael,

I haven't stayed at either resort, but I have seen both of them (last December) and I do have a few comments. Viva Tangerine is, as you say, about a 5-10 minute walk to the main part of Cabarete. The Azzuro is right at the start of the main area. If I were you (especially considering your age group) I would go with the Azzuro. It "may" have fewer amenities, but it's proximity to the main part of Cabarete more than makes up for that. If you don't find what you want at your hotel, just head out to the beach, make a right and you will more than likely find what you want. Even if there is an "older" crowd at the resort at that time, you will find more young people in the restaurants and bars.

The beach is definitely better at the Azzuro. There has been a lot of beach erosion near the Tangerine.

As far as music goes, all I can say is that we stayed near the Tangerine, and only heard loud music from there on weekends and holidays. It was mostly contemporary "pop" kinds of tunes, not Dominican music.

As far as booking, it would help to know where you want to fly out of.

Rose

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Just came back from two nights at the Tangerine. Please note that the Viva is run by the same people that run the Viva properties in La Romana -- Dominicus area. That chain has made a name for itself based on good entertainment. They are the Italian version of Club Med -- meaning they have a large staff of young GO type people whose job is to entertain. And they are excellent at it, mingling with guests, and developing friendships. There are several Dominican staff and all these will sit down for lunch or breakfast with you and become your friends, becoming a special part of the stay. Night time entertainment at Viva was very good -- I was crying from laughter at the Miss Viva show, the Hollywood show was excellent. After the shows, they offer live entertainment and dancing to Latin beats in the pool area. I can find no fault with the beach part of Viva. Yes, it is at the western end of the beach, but it is a lovely part. It is a five minute walk to the center of the town, but that is a pleasant walk. We walked the beach back to our hotel at 11 pm under a full moon. We walked to town by the outside street , and then walked by the beach strip back to our hotel late in the evening. Part of the attractions of Cabarete is actually walking the entire beach strip -- which can be like a three kilometer walk each way, or as long as you want to make it. It seems endless.

While Azzuro is a lovely property, when we walked through it, from what we saw it is a more quiet operation than Viva. If entertainment is a priority for you, Viva is the place. The hotel offers the entertainment, and you are free to partake in the mingling of people that happens in the restaurant strip of the beach.

See http://dr1.com/travel/prepare/documentation.shtml for more information.

Salser0

May 5, 2004
Thanks for your answers - some question left and arose :)

Thank you very much for the detailed answers. Please tell me if there were many young (18-30) people at the hotel and what kind of music it was they played - Im kinda salsa and bachata addict :D . Were there any female GO-Girls?

Its not an easy decision - the Azzuro costs 1065 Euro, the Tangerine 1255,- Euro (Single Room). Would you say, the entertainment is worth the more costs? (one euro equals 1.22 dollar)

Thanks

Michael

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Yes, there were many 18-30 people at the hotel. The staff is mainly in that age range, as I would think is the general manager of the hotel who is a nephew of the legendary Giacomo of Dominicus who set the Viva standard for entertainment. Viva gets lots of Italian tourists, thus rest assured bachata is played there, because bachata is very popular in Italy. I know because during a visit last November to Sicily and Rome we were surprised by the many cars on the streets out of which we heard bachata music.
Whether the price difference is worth it... only you can answer that, just answered that Viva Tangerine has what you are looking for.

Salser0

May 5, 2004
The Beds

Where there two or beds in the room? - Im going with a friend of mine - and if we take a double room, itd be a lot cheaper...

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I've stayed their twice with the GF since they opened in Nov. 03 and have loved it each time. It's the newest and most modern resort i've been to in the D.R. and everything Dolores said is accurate.

We liked it so much that we talked my parents into spending their next vacation (in Sep.) at the Viva Tangerine with us.

The food IMHO was a couple steps above the other resorts ive stayed at in the D.R. as well.

Whether the Azurro or Viva would be better for your trip is hard to say. I can say that as far as I know, the Viva is a completely new resort and the Azurro is a rebuilt, restored resort.

Yes, the Viva has double bed rooms (2 queens or 1 king).

Salser0

May 5, 2004
The Tangerine is booked!

We'll be there the last week of may and the first of june. Anyone around?

One last question - where do I best change (euros) or get my money via ATM Card in Cabarete?

Michael