Bringing Liquor/Snacks with you - Can You?

Stevie

Feb 23, 2004
I wonder if anyone knows if its okay to bring a bottle of rum with you?

Has anyone done this? My travel agent tells me its okay to bring in 1 liter per person. Anyone have any experience with this?

We just want to have a drink when we get there without having to go look for a place to buy some...I am sure we can get it there, but I just really want to know if there are any restrictions in bringing unopened liguor with you.

Also...what about umopened snacks...like cheetos or something like that?

Thanks! :nervous:

msugirl

Apr 16, 2004
I was there in March...brought plenty of snacks with me...had no problem at all. We flew into Puerto Plata...and they did not check our bags at all...as for rum...no idea...keep in mind there are guys willing to sell you a Presidente (beer) the minute you step out of the airport.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Here's a simple answer:

The price of local rum (by the bottle) is sooooo cheap that what you would pay at home for 1 bottle will more than cover the cost of buying local bottles for your whole trip. You will not have a hard time finding where to buy a bottle as soon as you get off the plane because they sell rum by the bottle at every bar, disco, colmado, etc. on the island (for a few bucks). BUT if you really want to bring a bottle with you... you will NEVER be checked for it. Pack all the rum and snacks in your carry-on or checked luggage that you please!

Stevie said:

Has anyone done this? My travel agent tells me its okay to bring in 1 liter per person. Anyone have any experience with this?

We just want to have a drink when we get there without having to go look for a place to buy some...I am sure we can get it there, but I just really want to know if there are any restrictions in bringing unopened liguor with you.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I usually bring with me my favorite wine, cereal and snacks in my carry-on, make sure not to pack any bottles in your luggage. Never had a problem.

Stevie said: