Buying a car

Italianguy

May 6, 2004
I am planning to spend in the next few years some months in DR (Bavaro Area) and I would like to buy a car (new or second hand). Can anyone give me some info on papers required to own a car in DR (I will NOT be a permanent resident).
Thank you very much in adavance

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Papers

Italianguy said:
I am planning to spend in the next few years some months in DR (Bavaro Area) and I would like to buy a car (new or second hand). Can anyone give me some info on papers required to own a car in DR (I will NOT be a permanent resident).
Thank you very much in adavance
You will need your passport when you buy it, just to identify you, a minimum insurance policy, and in theory, a DR driver's license, but if you are not getting residency, you will have to get by on the driver's license form your country of origin.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Rocky said:
You will need your passport when you buy it, just to identify you, a minimum insurance policy, and in theory, a DR driver's license, but if you are not getting residency, you will have to get by on the driver's license form your country of origin.

If I'm not mistaken your Driver's License from your country of origin is only valid for 60 or 90 days after which in theory you are required to get some type of residency in order to get a DR Driver's License. (Someone who is sure of this - please confirm.) Of course, this is only really important if you have an accident in which case it is really, really important.

Gregg

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Your insurance is good for the duration of your license/stay.
In most cases this is 60-90 days. If you plan to stay longer then you will need to get a Dominican license. The only way to get this is with a cedula and you need to be a resident to get a cedula.

If your in an accident, the first thing the police will do is photocopy your passport and entry stamps. If you have an accident and someone is hurt and you cannot produce a valid license, kiss your butt good bye.

A residency card may work out a lot cheaper than jail and lawyers fees.

Italianguy

May 6, 2004
Thanks

Than you for the advices. For the moment I plan to stay in DR only for "long" holidays (about 40 days each time). So it seems to me that I don't need a DR drving licence.
Does anybody know if there are good car dealers in Higuey? Or is it better to buy the car in Santo Domingo?