presidential vs. general elections

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Is anyone aware of any serious civic efforts to re-reform the electoral process, i.e., having congressional and municipal elections simultaneously with the presidential contest? I believe it was made what it is today via a constitutional ammendment following the last of Balaguer's fiascos.
No matter who wins the upcoming presidential election, the congress is still under the control of a bunch of brutes for a minimum of 2 more years. They are, for example, currently railroading changes in the laws that protect national parks with the support of lameduck presidente Hippo and it will be rather difficult to reverse such self-serving laws if the new president is unable to get support in the chamber od deputies and senate.
These elected officials (many are actual criminals) are also protected by parliamentary immunity and seem untouchable. Any comments?
-Tordok

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Darn!

That's the law that needs to change. If they are proven to be corrupt, then we can get them out faster. Start with Hipolito and work your way down. Last week Hipolito was asked what he would do to curb corruption. You know what he said? "It's hard to put away friends." 'nuf said. 'E Pa' Fuera Que Va'!

Tordok said:
These elected officials (many are actual criminals) are also protected by parliamentary immunity and seem untouchable. Any comments?
-Tordok

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The law was changed because legislators rode into offfice on the coat tails of the presidential candidate. It was felt there was a better chance of legislative candidates being considered on their merits if they were elected in a separate election.

The president in the DR is not without power when confronted with a hostile legislature. He can do more with presidential decrees than is possible in the US, for example.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Thanks for the input Ken. I believe that you are correct. The Dominican presidency has more relative power than its American counterpart to act unilaterally through executive decrees. That's the tradition, and it has held regardless of who is in majority at the congress.

Unlike in the U.S., the check and balances system in the DR is way tilted to the executive. I see your point about the weighty presidential ticket dragging along party cronies instead of true representatives of the people. But in my view this separation of elections can have the effect of actually perpetuating this imbalance of power in favor of the presidential ticket precisely because in practice, it is the palacio nacional where the real power emanates from, and people tend to view the congressional branch as irrelevant.

-Tordok