Beaches near Santo Domingo

HHA

May 7, 2004
What other good beaches there are near Santo Domingo besides Boca Chica ? What's the best way to get to those beaches ?

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Someone please reply. In my opinnion, Boca Chica is completely over-rated. Not to mention the over-priced umbrella seating. It was interesting the first time, boring as hell the second time. I desperately need to know another beach to visit. Thanks.
TEHAMA

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Don't have a conniption fit, jeepers

You can go to Guaycanes (sp?) between Boca Chica and Juan Dolio for a post-George demolished town with no services ( rental umbrellas included from what I could see) with a few very nice beaches or you can go to Juan Dolio and use theirs, that is, the beaches that are not all taken over by the 75 AI resorts, that is.

You just keep going east from Boca Chica and there are turn offs/ exits for them both. You'd need a car or taxi or get off the gua-gua and hoof it to the beaches. For the sake of the cost of an umbrella this seems extreme, mind you.

As for "overrated" if you are sitting on a beach, with your chair and umbrella , rented or not and reading, a beach is a beach really, sand, water, people.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Take the bus to Juan Dolio and get off at the "Parada"

in front of Ferreteria Mas Uno. The cross street is the road to Los Conucos.
Go left a block to the beach. There are many "umbrellas" to rent if you wish and there are several small "bars" such as Il Cappucino and Don Pedro's where you can buy a Presidente (or other refreshment) as well as a snack.
If your appetite says "meal" any of the restaurants are good however for a really sumptuous meal try the new "Jardin del Caribe" restaurant! The food is fantastic!
The natives are friendly, the beach picturesque with not too many vendors and the UBH's won't hound you to death but are available if that's your "desire"!
Weekends especially Sunday are busy with "locals" and you can even buy Dominican fare right on the beach Sat. & Sun.
I think Boca Chica is over-rated also (more like a giant wading pool) altho' the fine white sand there is a treat (even if it is a man-made beach as opposed to a "natural" gem).
Have fun........ :laugh:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
How about the beaches West of SDQ?

Can anyone advise on the beaches West of Santo Domingo, between San Cristobal and Bani? Playa Najayo, Palenque, Bani, Las Salinas? Is it worthwhile going there by car, or is there public transport from the capital?
Thanks
Bartolomeo

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Cocolandia de Palenque

Cocolandia is a part of Palenque Beach and accesible in less than one hour from Santo Domingo driving South on the San Cristobal highway. The easiest approach is past the Nizao bridge (Lucas Diaz) taking a turn South toward Nizao town, at the end of the town you cross the river bridge and drive the winding road up to Palenque town, then south toward the shore, until the sign Cocolandia. I like the taking a dirt road past Yaguate toward the sugar mill, then up the hill and across toward the road by the sea, taking a right to Palenque. Great fresh fried fish with moro de guandules, fried plantain, etc. I usually take my own cooler with refreshments. The surf is mild to medium. I rent inner tubes for the kids. Fishing boats give rides for RD$15 per person. Lots of beach peddlers from coconuts, to mussels, to corn on the cob. Great beach for the family.

Mirador

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Rick- 2 meals and 8-9 drinks= $103 US. Not complaining as the food was better than average but the drinks were weak. $50 US very possibly, but $100 hell no, and never again.
TEHAMA

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
what is so "over expenisive" about paying 100 pesos for an umbrella seat in boca chica? thats what...about 2 USD? I wouldnt buy my food there...but if you wander down towards the end of the beach....right past costalunga beach club....the guys who set up the chairs are very cool. not the VERY last one tho...(he's an @@@). I have found that that chairs and tables that are near the hamaca tend to rip you off and be over priced.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
JERSEYGUY,
That a US$100, not pesos. Thanks for the info though. I think I went to the area near Hamaca and WAS ripped off. I will try the far end of the Beach next time...possibly in 4-5 months. Right now, I dont want to go anywhere near Boca Chica. Thanks.
TEHAMA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Theama,"U Wuz Ripped Off,Big Time!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone should take a "Lesson"!!! Agree beforehand on the prices! If you eat and/or drink,the chairs should be free! Just don't pay if you are being ripped off! These Leeches depend on intimidating you into paying.Intimidate them.Start yelling "Policia,Policia",at the top of your lungs! When one arrives(He may want to help rip you off!),ask to see his supervisor,get as many police as you can muster! Tell them that the guy is trying to "Steal" from you! Create a big scene! They will back off! Ask for an itemized bill,then protest the overcharge!They like to first tell you there is no charge for the chairs,then try and tell you later that there is!!Don't be intimidated by "Low Life" beach scum!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
TEHAMA said:
Someone please reply. In my opinnion, Boca Chica is completely over-rated. Not to mention the over-priced umbrella seating. It was interesting the first time, boring as hell the second time. I desperately need to know another beach to visit. Thanks.
TEHAMA

Try visiting Playa Vista in Boca Chica. A great spot in my opinion.

http://dr1.com/blogs/playavista/

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
u was ripped off bad!

for real...im saying 100-150 PESOS NOT USD!!!! costalunga beach club (green umbrellas) near the end of the beach was 150 PESOS.....the guy next to them with the blue umbrellas...100 PESOS. you MUST be sure to negotiate before you sit down. you might wanna give the the umbrella guy (is there a term for him) an extra twenty or fifty pesos....

if you are still there...take my advise and go to the other end of the beach...and ask before you sit. My non spanish speaking friend was similarily ripped off on my last trip. I left him to fend for himself as i went to get changed.....and he got socked for nearly 500 pesos for 2 cervesas..(again..he was sitting at a table closer to the hamaca.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Thanks I will try Playa Vista next time. Embarrased to say but the joker that ripped me off is two buildings to the right of Playa Vista.
Thanks,
TEHAMA