Violence Potential?

danflood

Jan 31, 2004
I?ve got a question and I hope I?m not sounding dramatic as I don?t mean to. I?m staying with some Dominican friends in the country and they seem very protective right now. Actually suffocating is more the word. Anyway, I?m trying to get a reasonable opinion on the potential for problems should things get funky during or right after the election......thanks for any input!
Dan

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've been here for 4 elections and have never experienced any trouble. However, I didn't go looking for it either, staying in the same areas that I am normally in.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Another Mejia Strategy

Inciting fear is just another strategy that Mejia is currently using to win as part of his bag-o'-tricks. The less people go to the polls to vote the better it is for Mejia. This fear crap IS ALL POLITICAL STRATEGY.

If he continues to coerce/bribe his followers these individuals are forced to turn out and vote. This is a constant. 27% +/- those bribed

Now throw in the alarmist behavior you have being hearing and reading...the need for steel bars and crap at the polls, the need for armed men, etc.

The more people (especially from the PLD) that become afraid to turn out the more he chips away at the 54% lead Leonel has over him and the 19% PRSC/Estrella has.

Dominicans are people of courage. A new administration is stepping in.
Waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
deelt said:
Dominicans are people of courage. A new administration is stepping in.
Waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh Gosh, I hope its not a train!!!!

danely

Apr 23, 2004
Boca danger election weekend ???

danflood said:
Thanks for the input folks.

Would it be dangerous to hang out in Boca Chica election weekend ?? I have a ticket but maybe it's smarter to just stay home during the election. Opinions please !

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
One Opinion

danely said:
Would it be dangerous to hang out in Boca Chica election weekend ?? I have a ticket but maybe it's smarter to just stay home during the election. Opinions please !

Don't cross-post by asking your own question is this thread while you post a new thread that says the same thing verbatim. You will be safe, although the last time I was in BC for the election day itself there were a whole lot of people lined up to vote so service and the overall population was quite nonexistent in places.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Problems in Boca Chica

so service and the overall population was quite nonexistent in places

Where on earth do you find service in BC? Excepting the obvious, of course. :lick:

danely

Apr 23, 2004
Rickthe ....site monitor ????

Wasn't aware you were in charge here, sorry.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
elections

I have just had dinner with some Dominican friends that tell me they wont be around next Sunday as most people will spend the day queueing to vote and so many people will not be able to before the doors close as 6pm, I wondered if violence is likely to break out with frustrated would be voters or are all poll stations heavily manned.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You Obviously Needed the Help

danely said:
Wasn't aware you were in charge here, sorry.

Hijacking a thread and posting your own, answer-less one I mean. Ask, then wait, you aren't leaving tomorrow you know. You could say, you know, "I didn't have to do that",instead of being Dan the Smarty-pants man.

And at times, hijacking my own reply to your oh-so-pithy observation, is that in quite a few places the service in Boca Chica isn't all that bad. In others, it's pretty weak.

All joking aside I heard even "the obvious" was in short supply in the morning part of the day as the women vote earlier than the men do I am advised.