it's in the bag for hipolito.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
he's done it all now......the electricity is good, a 30% pay rise promise, convinced the people (listin poll) that there will now be a second round, got the jce in his pockets, banco central in his pockets, subervi and mob in his pockets.
he knows there will be a low turnout....there is no motivation/reason for people to vote for leonel.
will he even need to carry out any fraud?.....although these are already in motion.
everything is going to plan.

....and just to top it all off, he has declared that monday will be a holiday (a good enough reason for many people to vote for him).

he is no 'burro'. he's a genius!

Apr 26, 2002
White flag, yes. PPH no. Bochinche is a Hatuey supporter. And I agree with what he says, except that Leonel WILL win the popular vote.

But, to coin a phrase, if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, has it made a sound?

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
bochinche said:
he's done it all now......the electricity is good, a 30% pay rise promise, convinced the people (listin poll) that there will now be a second round, got the jce in his pockets, banco central in his pockets, subervi and mob in his pockets.
he knows there will be a low turnout....there is no motivation/reason for people to vote for leonel.
will he even need to carry out any fraud?.....although these are already in motion.
everything is going to plan.

....and just to top it all off, he has declared that monday will be a holiday (a good enough reason for many people to vote for him).

he is no 'burro'. he's a genius!

My GOD how I hope you are wrong. If it turns out like you suggest, Monday will NOT be just a holiday it will be a day of Mourning!!!

Got the latest e-mail from the PPH squad this evening telling me how Leonel took money from the BanInter bank & gave it to his friends/Foundation etc. I wrote back about them having their heads up their A**es if they couldn't see what their Government had been doing for 4 years & told them I was expecting GOD to make things right for the Dominican Republic on Monday morning by giving us a bit of hope & NO MORE PRD/PPH!! - Then I blocked future mail from this site!!! - Grahame.

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Grahame:

I hope you will see the populist plight in Latin America is a major bluff.

We need to follow some of the Asian Tigers of the 80's and make a national agenda of priorities and forget about politics!

This is the pefect timing, 2 major parties colluding to oust the PRD a perfect time to make a national 10 year non-partisian plan and forget the populism.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Question to those living in DR

On my last visit (in March), I witnessed many political parades (mostly for Hipo). Do you think most of the people involved in these "parades" actually vote or are they just jumping on the bandwagon to be part of what is going on? Also, is the reason there is not a high voter turnout because people are not educated about the fact that their vote counts to make a change or is it because they think their vote will not make any difference because the voting is corrupt to start with so why bother, OR is it because they just can't be bothered to go and vote? Just curious.

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Fiesta Mama said:
On my last visit (in March), I witnessed many political parades (mostly for Hipo). Do you think most of the people involved in these "parades" actually vote or are they just jumping on the bandwagon to be part of what is going on? Also, is the reason there is not a high voter turnout because people are not educated about the fact that their vote counts to make a change or is it because they think their vote will not make any difference because the voting is corrupt to start with so why bother, OR is it because they just can't be bothered to go and vote? Just curious.

You are right on the money with the assumption that many of the people you see in the parades are just in for the ride. You can see the same individuals participating in demonstrations from several parties.

The reason that they aren't expecting a high voter turnout is because the party that holds the populist vote, the PRD, has disilusioned its people to the point that they don't want to bother. You can hear the defeat in their voices when they speak about the elections.. The hard core PRD can't bring themselves to vote against their party, but they can't cotinue to support the current admisnitration. As for those who support the other candidates, they are quite enthusiastic about voting.

What worries me about this particular election is the high probability (or should I say certainty?) of foul play and the consequences it may bring. The word on the street is that there will either be some violence involved or a massive emigration; either of which would be devastating to an already crippled economy. Then again, people are always predicting doomsday around here. For all we know, all that will run through the streets will be Brugal both from the ones celebrating and the ones drowning their sorrows.

I was advised today to lay low on Monday, fill up my gas tank and stock up on groceries as prices will supposedly rise as of Monday regardless of the outcome.

I'll just make sure to get my vote in early and go hang out at the Junta to get the gossip as it comes in.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Fiesta Mama said:

My wife says that most of the people in the parades go to all of them, just for the party (as in fiesta, not partido) and to go with the flow, it doesn't mean they will vote that way.

We were driving back from PP to Santiago, and got stuck in a PRSC parade, and everybody on the side of the road was cheering them. So I wondered, if the PRSC actually has the least amount of support, how is it possible that every single person living between PP and Santiago is PRSC? They're not, they just like to get along and they're bored so they stand there and yell "woo-hoo" no matter who it's for.

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
I think Hip?lito will beat Estrella by a double digit margin. Say 10%-12%. Leonel will beat Hip?lito by a rather larger margin, say 13-17%. Whether Leonel makes it past 50% is something I can't tell right now.

Contrary to many opinions, I think Hip?lito has no chance on a second round. Hip?lito's rejection rate is considerably higher than Leonel's. And Leonel won't lose ground or heart about going to a second round. He's been there before.

As for fraud, I think it will happen. However, I think it won't happen at the JCE HQs. It's too well guarded (I mean by the party members, not by the armed forces). I expect a lot of mixed signals to flow around the provinces. Many regional PRD leaders will feel confident of their efforts and let the people decide. But some (or many) will risk losing too much. Losing in their districts and municipios could cost them dearly, even if Hip?lito wins. I expect these fractions of the leadership to panic and stuff the ballot boxes. Whether these tactics will happen from spontaneous leaders or from the PPH top is something we'll never know, just like in Balaguer's time.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Fiesta Mama said:
Also, is the reason there is not a high voter turnout because people are not educated about the fact that their vote counts to make a change or is it because they think their vote will not make any difference because the voting is corrupt to start with so why bother, OR is it because they just can't be bothered to go and vote? Just curious.

This year a high voter turnout is expected. The so-called "voto en contra", or vote against, is the one that brings lots of voters to the polls, regardless of the generalized perception there will be attempts at fraud.