Congressman's Letter to Colin Powell Concerning DR

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I found on the PLD website a letter written by NJ Congressman Robert Menendez on April 30th. It is directed to Colin Powell and outlines the problems being experienced in DR and the importance of a fair election on Sunday.

http://www.pld.org.do/2004/05/09/a3.htm

It got me thinking - if the election is on the "radar" of the US - do you think that the US (or other international powers) are hoping for a certain outcome?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Chris_NJ said:
It got me thinking - if the election is on the "radar" of the US - do you think that the US (or other international powers) are hoping for a certain outcome?

I hope not, if they do it's not the same outcome you and I are hoping for. US involvement in Latin American politics has rarely been to the benefit of the country in question.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Taking it a step further, what would be more advantageous for the US?

Would the US want a stable DR with less international headaches and less people trying to get to the US? If so, would Leonel be the best candidate to achieve this?

Or would the US for some underhanded reason want to see the island remain in crisis?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris_NJ said:

Yes, I think so. Many countries have invested a lot of money in the DR, either as a nation or by their citizens. I think any investor who is even minimally aware of what has been happening in the DR would be hoping for a change.

Leonel is very well regarded by the US and the European nations. During his first term as president he was deeply involved in international affairs. Given his training and experience, he is able to talk the same language as his counterparts in other countries. I don't think there is any question that they would like him to be elected. All the concern expressed by the US Ambassador and the ambassadors of other countries about a transparent election is prompted by the concern that Hippo will steal the election if left to his own devices.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Escott said:
While driving with Enrique the fellow that does tile work for me he said that Leonel is close to Fidel which surprised me. He is also hoping Mejia wins. Man was I surprised to here this. Any thoughts?

He obviously "benefits" in some way or another from Mejia's Presidency. Those are the only people Hippo has, his paid followers.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Alot of Dominicans don't understand about currency devaluation, they just think the dollar is getting expensive.

Many of the ones that do think it was Leonel's fault at least partly because he has ties with Baninter.

Alot of people think Leonel is a communist. Maybe he is, who knows. His policies have been plenty good for capitalism though.

Alot of people DID have their savings guaranteed by Mejia when Baninter collapsed, and don't make the connection that because of this everyone's money everywhere (in pesos) is worth roughly a third of what it was.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I was also surprised when my girlfriend (someone who has no political connections or financial benefit to support Hippo) said she would vote for Hippo. 1 of her reasons was that in Leonel's term she said Dominicans were more likely to be picked up by the police at night around Sosua (aren't Cubans also supposed to have limited contact with tourists?).

Other reasons were some of Leonel's entourage which she says belong in jail rather than cruising around in luxury SUVs, Leonel's feelings toward the rural population - he said something about they are all criminals, and the fact that the people working in POP airport had to be tied into Leonel.

I am going to press her for more reasons why she has chosen to vote for Hippo, but there must be a lot of Dominicans who think like her and will therefore not vote for Leonel. I would rather see Leonel win in order to improve the economy but to a lot of Dominicans he is not the definitive end all best choice. I just wish there were better candidates.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
And what Leonel said about farmers being criminals was something to the effect that Mejia's economical mess was causing them to move to the cities seeking work and possibly turn to crime. It made alot more sense in context.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I know I'm late into this thread, but...

Chris_NJ said:
I was also surprised when my girlfriend (someone who has no political connections or financial benefit to support Hippo) said she would vote for Hippo. 1 of her reasons was that in Leonel's term she said Dominicans were more likely to be picked up by the police at night around Sosua (aren't Cubans also supposed to have limited contact with tourists?).

QUOTE]

Leonel was cracking on the disgusting tourist trade that had engulfed Sosua. Of course, right after the crackdown tourism fell incredibly, but Sosua is back up again. At least now there is a bit more respect, though sex still sells there.

Maybe he'll do the same with Boca Chica. That place could have been so much fun if it wasn't for those persistent "cueros" and the "tourist" that make a demand for such thing. There needs to be implemented some sort of public decency law in this country. People are having sex on the streets in places like Boca Chica! It's redicolous!