diving in Las Terrenas

scuba~girl

May 14, 2004
Hello out there...

I'm heading to the north coast in June to do some diving and relaxing... I've heard that Las Terrenas is a good place to go? It looks like there are a couple dive shops in town, does anybody know if one is better than another? I'm also not too sure where to stay - somewhere within walking distance (safe walking distance that is) of the dive shop yet not too noisy etc... does such a place exist??! Somewhere on the nicer end of the scale would be great, I don't mind splurging a little :) I've been told that Playa Colibri is one of the nicer resorts, but how far is it from the dive shops? Any help would be muchly appreciated! Or other suggestions as to where to go... thanks in advance for any help! :squareeye

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Cacao Beach and Aligio Beach Resort both have a diveshop. I think it's two or three more somewhere along the beach. Stayed in Cacao Beach a few nights, classic all inclusive (didn't like the meatballs they served for dinner). Aligio Beach Resort is between Las Terrenas and El Portillo (the local airport), three minutes walk from "downtown" LT, Cacao Beach five min. the other way. Know nothing about Playa Colibri but it's plenty of places to stay close to the town center.
I don't know the divers in Cacao Beach these days but it's a nice shop (they used to have both DIN and yoke valves (if you bring your own reg). Paolo in Aligio Beach Resort is a nice chap, he's probably on his 15th year in LT by now. Tell him to take you to The Three Islands, some small caves with lots of king crabs. Have fun, and enjoy the drive from Sanches to Las Terrenas.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I don't know much about the diving shops; however, I can tell you that the only place I would stay in is Playa Colibri. It's not too far from the diving shops and there are motoconchos available that can take you back and forth for 20.00 pesos. It would take you no more than 5 minutes by motoconcho.

It is not noisy by Colobri, it has one of the best restaurants in town, and the service is superb.

Have fun!

scuba~girl

May 14, 2004
Thanks for your help, I'll do some more looking around to see what I can find out. I was reading about Las Galeras and Playa Rincon last night - anybody know how they compare to Las Terrenas? Diving/nice resorts etc?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Diving in LT

The diving school at Cacao Beach Hotel is open, the hotel itself isn't.
There should be another diving spot at Castello Beach (Punta Poppy).
Playa Rincon does not seem to have a diving shop at the moment.
Do a search on both, Las Terrenas and Las Galeras and get in touch with the listed shops.
May you always have enough air in your tanks.
m'frog
www.samanave.com

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
scuba~girl said:
Hello out there...

I'm heading to the north coast in June to do some diving and relaxing... I've heard that Las Terrenas is a good place to go? It looks like there are a couple dive shops in town, does anybody know if one is better than another? I'm also not too sure where to stay - somewhere within walking distance (safe walking distance that is) of the dive shop yet not too noisy etc... does such a place exist??! Somewhere on the nicer end of the scale would be great, I don't mind splurging a little :) I've been told that Playa Colibri is one of the nicer resorts, but how far is it from the dive shops? Any help would be muchly appreciated! Or other suggestions as to where to go... thanks in advance for any help! :squareeye

Stellina Diving Center, located on Cacao Beach hotel grounds, is a 3 minutes walk from Playa Colibri.

Enjoy your stay at Playa Colibri.
WebDev

scuba~girl

May 14, 2004
thanks, unfortunately Stellina Dive Center is going to be closed while I'm there so I have to change my plans :) But thanks for the info anyway!