Who is Responible for Repair of Water Pipes in Condo?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A question for condo owners and managers. Who is responsible for repair or replacement of water pipes located in the floors and walls? Is this the responsibility of the condo association or the owner of the apartment which is supplied by the pipe in question? I'm not asking about the fixtures, etc, that can be seen, just the pipes that are in the floors and walls.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ken said:
A question for condo owners and managers. Who is responsible for repair or replacement of water pipes located in the floors and walls? Is this the responsibility of the condo association or the owner of the apartment which is supplied by the pipe in question? I'm not asking about the fixtures, etc, that can be seen, just the pipes that are in the floors and walls.

In my experience it's usually down to the condo association, especially if it has a common use in some way. It's no different if the roof leaks or the swimming pool needs a new filter. I'm sure in most cases, internal plumbing and wiring are usually covered by the condo association. Usually everything except a condo owner's individual airspace.

Internal pipes are part of the structure and construction of the building, why should an individual condo owner have to pay when he/she has zero control of the integrity or structure of this pipe?

Does your condo assoc have insurance to cover these types of repairs?

S

Stephen

In my experience

...as having my lifelong career in Real Estate/Insurance, the INTERIOR pipes are the responsiblity of the Individual Condo Owner. The individual condo owner is usually responsible for any wiring, plumbing, inside walls etc from the studs IN. Now in a case like the DR where there are no "studs" who knows, but I would assume that pipes in the floor/ceiling of a condo once they are further in than the "questionable" studs of a concrete constucted building would definately be the problem of the INDIVIDUAL.

This problem actually just happened yesterday in a complex in Costamabar where the cieling is leaving in a first floor apt., coming from the bathroom of the second floor apartment.

The condo assoc told the owner of the first floor, that it was NOT the condo's responsiblity and that they would have to get it repaired and fight it out with the owner of the unit above.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The usual practice is that if the pipes causing the problem can be traced to an individual apartment, then that apartment should resolve the problem. If they are common pipes of the building, then it is an association problem. Sometimes, when a building has adequate money in bank, it will go ahead and resolve a problem caused by an individual apartment rather than make the request. But the first appeal should be made to the individual owner who is causing the problem. Best practice is always to be on good terms with all in the condominium for the common interest and well being of the building.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
In the case of our condo.....Dolores and Stephen have it right!

The pipes and wiring that supply the individual apts are the responsibility of the apt. owner. Pipes and wiring that service common areas are the resposiblity of the condo association.
we are presently in a legal dispute with the owner above our condo because we moved wiring that served his apt but were running through our apt. when we renovated our kitchen. His electric works just fine but he's being an a**hole (even though we got his permission to move the wires BEFORE we did it). The judge ruled that because the wires we IN our condo we could do whatever we wanted with them as long as it didn't cause any problem with his service and as long as he still had access to them should any future problems arise! Since his water pipes also are in our apt. and since the condo regulations state clearly that access must be provided should repairs be necessary it is a given that he will have access.
Check your condo regulations Ken and if they don't specifically state that interior plumbing and wiring are the responsibility of the association them they are the individuals' responsibility!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The responses are very interesting.

When the condo where I live was constructed, iron pipes were used rather than plastic. And in the first years, the condo drew its water from a well with a higher than desired salt content. Over the years, some of these pipes corroded to the point where water filtered through the ceiling and walls of the apartment below. At that point, it was considered the responsibility of the owner of the apartment served by the corroded pipes to replace those pipes. This has been the practice for years.

However, recently an owner protested this practice, claiming it was his experience in the US that the condo association was responsible. An attorney that we consider very competent was asked for his thoughts on this and he indicated that the insides of the floors and the walls are common property, as are the pipes that are located there. In otherwords, the responsibility of the condo association. The pipes above the floor or that protrude from the walls, the faucets and other fixtures, as well as the tile on the floor are the responsibility of the owner of the apartment. So that after the floor has been broken into and the pipes located there replaced, the owner of the apartment would be responsible for replacing the tiles that were broken. He further indicated that any owner who was required to pay for the repair replacement of pipes in the common areas could submit a claim to the condo association for reimbursement.

If our condo association has a problem, it appears that we will not be alone.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Residents of condos where individual owners are expected to pay for repairs to pipes in the walls and floors should check the Condominium Declartion for your condo. Every condo has one.

The description of the common areas and items for the condo where I live read in part:

"b) The central electric power installation, plumbing, telephone, sanitary and rain water drainage, wherever these installations are within the floors, walls or partitions, not including the accessories or equipment that are found inside each apartment."

Looks to me to be boilerplate language. I'd be surprised if the Declaration for other condominiums doesn't read the same.