No one ever has change

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Whenever I am drinking in a bar in Sosua and I ask to pay my bill, they never have change. I don't understand this. I never attempt to pay with more than a 500 peso note. How can an establishment that is attempting to stay in buisness look back at the customer and say, " lo siento pero no tenemos cambio." ? Like this is a delimma I am supposed to solve. I just look back at them and say, " no hay problema, puedo esperar". Am I , as the customer, supposed to carry 10, 20 and 50 peso notes at all times for the convience of the bars I decide to drink in? I don't complain about much when I am down here but this is rediculous.
Larry

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Larry said:
Whenever I am drinking in a bar in Sosua and I ask to pay my bill, they never have change. I don't understand this. I never attempt to pay with more than a 500 peso note. How can an establishment that is attempting to stay in buisness look back at the customer and say, " lo siento pero no tenemos cambio." ? Like this is a delimma I am supposed to solve. I just look back at them and say, " no hay problema, puedo esperar". Am I , as the customer, supposed to carry 10, 20 and 50 peso notes at all times for the convience of the bars I decide to drink in? I don't complain about much when I am down here but this is rediculous.
Larry
Thats funny Lars you dont usually ask for change........ :cool:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Boobie!!

Larry said:
Larry
The same darn thing happened to me 2 times while I bought food for my brother at a restaurant near where he is staying. The first time I paid with 500 pesos and I was told that they had no change. I had to call Elena so she could give me change. The second time that happened, I told the lady "this is a restaurant, for God's sake, it's not my problem if you do not have change, if you don't have it, go get some because I will not get change and if I have to get the change, I will not come back and pay you". Man, she flew out of the restaurant and got change. It amazes me that they look at you like if you are a moron, like telling us "shame on you for not carrying 10 and 20 pesos all the time".

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
They see you coming Larry. Next time ask if they have change for 500 before you order or you'll move on. It works.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Am I , as the customer, supposed to carry 10, 20 and 50 peso notes at all times for the convience of the bars I decide to drink in?

That cracked me up! (Total non-sarcastic mode.)

What works is you'll say you'll owe it to them until next time. Not your problem.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
True!

Jane J. said:
That cracked me up! (Total non-sarcastic mode.)

What works is you'll say you'll owe to them until next time. Not your problem.
That would work fine.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
question

do they do this only to the people who "look foreign"?

i liked the idea of you owing to them till the next time hehe.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
The economic situation is so deteriorated that usually there is never enough change when you pull out a 100, 500, or 1000 pesos bill...it happens nationwide, it has nothing do with tourists, it affects everyone.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
We never have that problem in Puerto Plata....

In Puerto Plata we never have that problem....When the merchants do not have any change they just give us the differance in CHIKLETS.

Gringo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Gringo said:
In Puerto Plata we never have that problem....When the merchants do not have any change they just give us the differance in CHIKLETS.

Gringo

I have a feeling that's what CD owners will be paid in from the Central Bank.

Porthos

May 13, 2004
Larry, one thing I'm going to generalize here is that most dominicans are bad, and I mean terrible "entrepreneurs". I'm not going to explain here why I think that, but I'll tell you this: Your problem is very common nationwide and it can have two reasonsn. The fact is that here in DR, people at shops and mostly at any kind of business are very concerned about giving away their change just to the first people that shows asking for it, because they have the appreciation that if they don't have change they wont be able to please their custommers (what a contradiction!). In your specific case, and I'm sorry I have to say this, they can do this just because they want you to say to them "well, don't have change? never mind, keep the change as a tip" or something, because yes, you are gringo and yes, we tend to assume that you people swim in money. Again all this is very common here.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
i asked what i asked because i know that SOME people think that they can rip off someone who doesn't look dominican :)

Oche said:
The economic situation is so deteriorated that usually there is never enough change when you pull out a 100, 500, or 1000 pesos bill...it happens nationwide, it has nothing do with tourists, it affects everyone.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
jerryme said:
It's Their way of making an extra buck. They have change

Then why do they always leave and come back in a few minutes? I realize some people are just hoping for the tip but most really do not have change of 500 peso notes.
Larry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have been known to pay in Chicklets!

If it is food for the goose it is food for the gander! Screw 'em.

I agree that it is poor business practice (I was not sure how to spell entrepreneurship) not to have change.

And nowadays, with everyone carrying thousand and two thousand peso bills, it just makes sense to have a bunch of change during business hours.

Unfortunately, I can remember when the DR had real change. Their change, like the US, was silver, their pennies were copper, of course, but the 10-50? pieces were silver. SIGH!!

HB

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
as an owner of a business there that i operated for 3 years, i understand the frustration. alot of business people are just too plain lazy to go every day to the bank to get change. i am sure that alot of small businesses don't even have bank accounts so they would not get change at a bank. i can tell you that i went to the bank every other day and on almost every ocassion they either didn't have 10's or 20's or 50's or 5's or all of the above. seriously. always waiting on the money truck from the capital. nothing's easy there when you have a business.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
A little off topic but... if the banks are in such a shambles there, how do any of the locals do business with banks? Do many Dominicans have bank accounts or do they just hide their pesos in their casas? What do the upper class Dominicans (with serious dollars to worry about) do with their money... especially since many Dominicans can't leave the country easily, I can't imagine many have "off-shore" bank accounts?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh, we manage.

there are tens of thousands of Dominicans that have bank accounts. Most of the major businesses will direct deposit your paycheck. Debit cards abound.
Plastic is very popular.

Just like you are doing in Canada or in the States, we change checks, deposit checks and cash and manage to work.

But we are just 400,000 or 800,000 people. The vast majority of individuals live on a cash only basis. The colmaditos where Jan hangs out, the colmadones where CCCCC buys his beer, most of the smaller, neighborhood stores operate on a cash basis. But above that level, in the city, there is normal financial instruments in play. In the countryside, you would be surprised at the number of people that operate with banks. After all Banco Popular has what? About RD$35 billion in activos.?????????? It's got to come from someplace....

No, we might be backward, but you'd be surprised at what goes on....

HB