It's Happening

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Just as I said.
The latest Gallup poll has Fernandez with 53.6 %. Gallup has a error rate of plus or minus 4 % so already it can be said that Leonel doesn't have enough to win on the First round. Not that Polls mean anything in the D.R..

Are you ready for 4 more years of Hippo? I know I am.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Fiesta Mama said:
Are you crazy? I don't don't even live there and know that that would not be a good thing!

I think you need to slow down in case you burn yourself out :)

I wonder what I did with that "Nathan Counter"?

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I can't see it myself, but who knows? I still think Leonel will win in the first round.

The PPH or someone very close to them had fake audio recordings of Leonel produced saying bad things. They leaked them to the press thinking it would make him look bad.

Unfortunately for them they got caught big time!

Not that anything will come of it, but it's amazing the lengths some will go to in an attempt to bend an election.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Robert said:
I think you need to slow down in case you burn yourself out :)

I wonder what I did with that "Nathan Counter"?

Okay Robert, please explain yourself as I am trying to interpret your reply???

Are you saying I should stop posting?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Fiesta Mama said:
Okay Robert, please explain yourself as I am trying to interpret your reply???

Are you saying I should stop posting?

I have PM'd you, let's keep the thread on track.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Tony C said:
Just as I said.
The latest Gallup poll has Fernandez with 53.6 %. Gallup has a error rate of plus or minus 4 % so already it can be said that Leonel doesn't have enough to win on the First round. Not that Polls mean anything in the D.R..

Are you ready for 4 more years of Hippo? I know I am.

Maybe I am being ultra thick again because I have been chatting to people soince 04.30 this morning (sorry, yesterday morning), but can someone with a little more mathematical savvey than Tony tell me how Gallup showing 53.6% for leonel means we will get a Mejia/PPH Government in again??? IF his 4% + or - figure is correct & IF the top (negative) scale is reached, that means Leonel will get 49.3%. Assuming the PRSC gets only 8% & the other small parties only attract 2% of the vote, that means Mejia can only get 40.7% of the vote! It has been shown on the polls, that Leonel would get MORE votes on the second round, so how does that mean that Mejia will get back in?

So, on the figures submitted, I can only disagree with the premise of anothe Hippo term in office. Had Tony suggested that ther would be excessive FRAUD to take the figures still further away from the Gallup results, that I would noit argue with - I think there is a GOOD chance of that, but I am hoping against hope that the difference between Mejia & leonel is sufficient to keep the leonel vote in excess of 50% +1, even if it is JUST above!! - Grahame.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Voter apathy and/or fraud is enough to drag down that 53% figure to just under 50%. Not sure if this is really true but I also heard somewhere that the ruling party gets all the spoiled and blank ballot papers added to their total.

You can bet your boots that the PPH will not concede defeat should Leonel get just under 50%, the way Medina and Balaguer did in 2000, even though Hippo hadn't quite made the 50% + 1 vote.

In a second round, most people agree that Estrella is much more likely to support Hippo than Leonel. After all, the rumours have it that the PPH helped him to the top of the PRSC against all the odds.

That is why Tony C.'s scenario is indeed a very likely outcome.

Chiri

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Last pesos.

gringo in dr said:
Hipo will win. You can bet your last peso on it.
Well if he did, you can have my last pesos, and all the other pesos I have, 'cause they won't be worth a square of toilet paper.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Few points

A couple of things that show the fraud is already being implemented.
-You all know about the story the other day, where it was found that they were printing a list of voters in the middle of the night for the PRD. Today Leonel announces that after a correlation of voters by the PLD it was found that there were more than 400,000 people missing from the newest list (equivalent to about 10% of the vote)...I bet 99% of those "missing" or moved from one voting station to another are known PLD sympathizers. When they get to the place they are supposed to vote at they will not be found and that vote is lost for the PLD and Leonel.
-The cases of missing ballot boxes (which occur every election in The DR) have already started with a report today that a guy that was given all the voting supplies (including the ballots) is missing along with the supplies. This happened in eastern Santo Domingo, where the PLD is expected to sweep.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I've seen it done many times before, specially by the fraud meister (Balaguer) who Hippo wants to imitate.

I'm really glad the doctored conversation presented by the PRD to the press in which Fernandez is supposedly heard talking about plans to destabilize the economy doesn't seem to have had the effect expected. I remember an election when a similar stunt cost Juan Bosh tons of votes. At the time Balaguer and his cronies presented a doctored tape where Juan Bosch said "I don't believe in god..." I remember hearing people say "Well, I was going to vote for him, but I can't vote for someone who doesn't believe in god..." I remember thinking just how ignorant some of my people were.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
The final outcome

Since the election is tomorrow, at what time do the polls close and when will the results be announced? Will we all know the fate of the country by tomorrow night?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Polls open officially at 6 am and close at 6 pm. The JCE has promised a first bulletin by 10 pm. Coordinated by the National Young Entrepreneurs Association (ANJE), Gallup will be running an exit poll (outside the premises of the voting station people will be ask to cast their vote again into a box). Was told that CNN will be filming this.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Dolores said:
............. Gallup will be running an exit poll (outside the premises of the voting station people will be ask to cast their vote again into a box). Was told that CNN will be filming this.

Now THAT sounds interesting!!! How many polling stations will they be running this "second vote"?? Are they taking a sample or trying to get everyone? Do you know what format they will be using for this second vote? (One party on a piece of paper, chouce of party with a tick against the one chosen, choice of a colour etc???? Do the PPH thugs know this & will they allow it when the time comes tomorrow?? Loads of other questions come to mind on this, but for the time being I am sure most of us would like the answers to these important ones!! - Grahame.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Fiesta Mama said:
Since the election is tomorrow, at what time do the polls close and when will the results be announced? Will we all know the fate of the country by tomorrow night?

Normally the electoral board is very slown counting the votes. It may be as many as three days, before you know if Leonel won in the first round or if we're going to a second round...

Last edited:

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
What is the JCE website?

suarezn said:
Normally the electoral board ie very slown countin the votes. It may be as many as three days, before you know if Leonel won in the first round or if we're going to a second round...

It seemed like some of the 2002 results were posted somewhat quickly.
Although the finalized results took a few days.

JD

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I am very surprised that the results could take up to 3 days to tally! One would think that if a governement was corrupt or cheating it would be in their favour to announce the results as early as possible (unless I suppose the results were not in their favour)! I will stay tuned to CNN tomorrow night to see if they have any coverage. Thanks all for your response.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Fiesta Mama said:
I am very surprised that the results could take up to 3 days to tally! One would think that if a governement was corrupt or cheating it would be in their favour to announce the results as early as possible (unless I suppose the results were not in their favour)! I will stay tuned to CNN tomorrow night to see if they have any coverage. Thanks all for your response.

3 days is not un-normal, look at Florida.

We will be posting an update on the DR1 home page (http://dr1.com) at around 10pm tomorrow night, this is when the first bulletin from the JCE is expected. If anything unusual happens, we will also cover it.