It's all over bar the shouting

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I never watch TV here but I did watch some of the Hippo end of campaign show on (I think) Channel 5 last night. It was... well, I don't know if it was meant to be slapstick but it certainly ended up coming across that way:

TV personality Corporan who has apparently supported each of the main parties in the past was asked to say a few words about his support for Hippo and ended up giving a rambling speech about himself, how great he is, quoting a whole series of people from the deity to Balaguer, Bosch and Pe?a Gomez downwards who had told him he was a fantastic chap. He even went on to say how modest he was. Each time his speech seemed to reach its climax, the studio audience which was fronted by a knackered looking Hippo, a twitching Fello and a frankly embarrassed Tony Raful, applauded with relief hoping it had come to an end, but oh no, Corporan and his ego were not to be stopped. It dragged on what seemed like forever. The First Lady was falling asleep on her feet, Hippo checked his watch oh so subtly at least once...

When the camera showed the crowd shots you could easily spot the animator directing people when to applaud.

When they finally got rid of the raving Corporan the band started playing. It was complete chaos. They had a bunch of dancing girls who looked as if they had been pulled in from some lowlife cabaret - all very well, but was this the time and the place? The assembled dignitaries took to the dance floor in a clumsy attempt at spontaneity. Unusually for the DR, there was some really awful footwork.

A highlight for me was when one of the musicians knocked Hippo sharply on the side of the head with his guitar.

The Minister for Women was there, strutting her stuff amidst the exotic dancers. Where else could we witness such a spectacle!

Even the Hippo supporters I was with found the whole thing highly amusing.

Chiri

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
And I wonder how many of those present remember Hippo's words at the beginning of his Presidency? >>>>> "I never thought it could be this difficult to run a country!!" THAT was in the GOOD old days when there was a country to RUN rather than PLUNDER!!! - Grahame.