Selling off of national parks in the intl press

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Never did meet a Die-hard "enviromentalist" who had a clue about capitalism!

Do you know that in the U.S. all of the major National parks have road systems, Hotels/Lodges, Water and sewer systems and other bulidings and infrastructure. Not to mention souvenir shops and restaurants and other consessions.

These are National PARKS!!!!! It is suppose to accessable to all for the enjoyment of all. Not for only the self-appointed guardians of mother nature!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tony, How many of the USA national parks are owned and run by foreign AI hotel chains? How much mining is done, in , let's say, the Grand Canyon?

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Cuba has a lot of untouched, beautiful land. I'll take the capitalists and hotel chains, thanks.

I've been outdoors camping and hunting since I was a child. Personally, I find it amazing how little there is for an outdoor person like me to do here. In order to access a decent place to camp in the mountains, one must have a helicopter. The last road I took through the mountains, the one that connects Constanza to San Jose de Ocoa, nearly got me and my girl killed. When I ask a Dominican about camping, they say, "You want to sleep outside? Why?? That amazes me considering how much beautiful land there is here to camp on. I personally would love a few options like hotels, campgrounds, and even a large resort with a paved road going to it.

As far as the evil foreign hotel chains go, what country are you from? I'm sure any of the local DR hotel chains would enjoy capitalizing on the parks as much as any foreign company. Why does the word foreign have to be involved? I am a foreign business owner here in the DR, and I won't even throw a cigarette out of the window. Are you a foreigner that is living here? Did you ever consider that if you and I weren't here, and that if foreigners like ourselves STAYED AWAY, then there would be no talk of building hotels in parks.

Also, I have watched EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK be eaten away piece by piece by the sugar producers and land developers in Florida. If you think our park system in the US is protecting the US environment, you must be kidding. If Trump wanted to rename it "EVERTRUMP NATIONAL PARK", believe me he would and could. US national parks represent less than 1/2% of the land, and less than .02% of the shoreline (obtained from http://www.sierraclub.com/). Also, the eastern US was a solid tree-line from the east coast all the way to the Mississippi when we Europeans arrived. Ever seen the old movies of the logs rolling down the Miss? The US is a bad example of a good environmentalism my friend.

Last edited:

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
UST, I have no issue with un-obtrusive roads and hotels inside DR national parks. We all like to the enjoy the beauty of the DR. Deserts. Rainforests. Beaches. Cool Mountains. I want to keep it that way.

The more we "develop" these lands, the more we will lose them. You almost have to limit access to these in order to preserve them. Once our dirty paws claw their way in there.....forgedd-abou-it...its over...there is no accountability in the DR...no rule of law ...people will do as they please with the parks.

As far as "foreign"...well...call me nationalistic....but I don't want significant portions DR parklands in the hands of foreigners....irrespective of the marginal economic benefits..in a small country like the DR, everything cannot go on sale to the highest bidder....the country would quickly lose its identity...and charm

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
Sounds more reasonable. I agree that here the parks would be littered more than in the US. I also agree that there is charm to be lost,but isn't this country already 'sold to the highest bidder'?

I have to say that as far as who could maintain a cleaner park system, I would prefer to see it in the hands of foreigners. I can't find a garbage can in the capital. Do you think if dominicans built the resorts up in the mountains they would keep it prestine?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
ustelephone said:
Also, I have watched EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK be eaten away piece by piece by the sugar producers and land developers in Florida. If you think our park system in the US is protecting the US environment, you must be kidding. .
I defy you to show me one case in which land was taken from the Everglades National park by sugar producers or anyone else for that matter.
The facts are that the US has been forcing farmers off their land to expand the park's boundaries. We also now have 100's of square miles of scrub land that caanot be developed because they want to have a buffer around the park.
BTW. There isn't a Sugar Plantation for over 50 miles from Everglades National Park.

Many of the US's National forrests are used for logging and minning.
I am not advocating the abolition of the D.R.'s National Parks but I do advocate the use of a small percentage if the Parks for development to allow people access to these beautiful spots.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Guys, so far you've been relatively restrained about using references from the US experience, but I can sense a possible spitting match developing on the Everglades, and just to make it clear, if this thread is in danger of getting hijacked in that fashion, my finger will not hesitate to punch the delete button.

So, let's continue to keep this DR focused.

Your Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
What has happened to that bill before the Senate (of the DR) regarding the allocation ( sale?) of the National Park Land in the South (that Hippo authorized recently) and will Leonel be able to reverse and/or otherwise nullify should it pass and become Law???

I THINK that's what this is all about... Not what is/has happened in the US Everglades or similar National Parks there!!!

Texas Bill