DR Roadtrip... opinions wanted!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I am flying into Santo Domingo (Las Americas) at the beginning of July for 5 days. My body and soul are in need of a quick DR fix and I have never been to that part of the island so I am quite looking forward to it. The original plan (I will be travelling with a friend) was to rent a car and head down to Bavaro/Punta Cana area. BUT I have been thinking. Maybe after already travelling for 4 hours we won't feel like a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive to Bavaro and should go somewhere closer. Here are the requirements... don't want to stay at an AI but rather a clean budget hotel (breakfast included would be okay). Just want some R n' R... walking on the beach, swimming (although hotel does not have to be right on the beach), enjoying the good weather, going to local (non-tourist is fine) discos, etc. On past visits I have stayed in a typical Domincan barrio so I definitely don't need all the comforts of home. This is just going to be a total "chill" vacation and we are not looking for sightseeing, etc. For 4 nights, 5 days what do you all suggest? I don't know anything about that side of the island having previously only travelled to the North Coast. I have not discarded the Bavaro/Punta Cana road trip idea (since from what I've heard it would be worth the drive), but I want to know if there may be options that would be JUST AS ENJOYABLE ... or should we stick with the original plan?

If you want you could stay in Santo Domingo and go to Boca chica for the beach or La romana a little further out, then return to the city for the night life. Then on another day take a trip a little north to Bonao or Jarabacoa and enjoy a dip in a cold river. PM me and I could get you some decent priced hotels and maybe pass paths as I will be down there from 7/5 -7/13.
Badpiece

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Boca Chica

Thanks for those great suggestions. The only thing is that a few people have told me that Boca Chica is not always that safe and from some of the posts I have read on DR1, it sounds like there are a lot of hookers and sankies there and that is not what I am looking for! How about Juan Dolio?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
@ Fiesta Mama

Although Saman? is a lengthy drive from SD (about 4 hrs.) you would get the true Caribbean feeling there.
Going there by bus is cheap and small hotels are found near
beautiful beaches (Punta Bonita, LT).

m'frog

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
badpiece33 said:
If you want you could stay in Santo Domingo and go to Boca chica for the beach or La romana a little further out, then return to the city for the night life. Then on another day take a trip a little north to Bonao or Jarabacoa and enjoy a dip in a cold river. PM me and I could get you some decent priced hotels and maybe pass paths as I will be down there from 7/5 -7/13.
Badpiece

Great advice, although La Romana is someplace I've never been, I have heard really great things about it. One of my best friend's husbands is from La Romana. I have travelled with Angel to Boca Chica. To tell you the truth, I liked Sosua much better than BC. I didn't ever feel afraid or that I could be in any danger, but I've never had that feeling anywhere in the DR.

If you feel like travelling to the West and want something off the beaten path, Barahona is also beautiful. It's about 3 hours from SD if memory serves me well. The people are very friendly, even though you'll probably be the only white people there. We also found very few that spoke English. And if you're looking for a beach, the beach there is beautiful, but it's more of a rock beach than sand.

I also like the Semana idea, but I'm afraid that's a very long drive from where you are flying into. I LOVE the Semana area, that's definitely a consideration for us for retirement (it's 30 years down the road, and I'm already thinking about it...guess that's what happens when you don't like your job!). Mountainfrog, is Semana only 4 hours from SD? For some reason, I thought it was more than that. If you do decide on Semana, Angel and I stayed at a great motel (not too expensive, and absolutely beautiful...) in Las Terrenas called Las Palmas. I'll send you the info if you wish. Las Terrenas is a perfect fit for what you want, but a little far.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
All of these suggestions sound wonderful but the original plan was Bavaro which is a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive and we've decided we don't want to drive more than 2 so drivng to Semana or anywhere else in that range is just too far. I don't care if it's east or west of Santo Domingo but I don't want to spend half of the vacation driving. The return flight is departing at 2:30 p.m. so I would like to be somewhere that I don't have to get up at 6:00 in the morning to drive back to the airport. If anyone has the name of a nice (luxury not needed) hotel within 2 hours driving distance, that would great. It does not have to be right on the beach but close to one would be nice. Also, if it's a little off the beaten path that's okay too because a booming nightlife, etc. is not necessary. Even a very non-touristy location would be great. Trina as for being the only white people, that is not a concern as I have never experienced racism towards me while in the DR... to me Dominicans truly are a culture that others around the world could learn from in that department! Trina how far is La Romana from SDQ? Thanks for all the great suggests so far - I am going to do my research now but keep them coming if anyone else has suggestions.

One other thing, we may decide to stay the first night near Las Americas or in Santo Domingo so any suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel would be great.

P.S. Ladybird ... I promise to visit you and your side of the island on my next trip (sometime in the fall) so save the stripper night until then :).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here are my suggestion...

If you want to truly enjoy the eastern section of the DR well, you should consider doing the following, though not all because you might not have time to do them all. But, there's always next time!

1) Stay in either Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone or Juan Dolio. The Colonial Zone is very historic and beautiful. It feels very much like Europe with a Dominican filter. Many small hotels here located inside buildings where important historical people once stayed at, example would be the Nicolas Nader Hotel ( I think that's the name) it's in the mansion of Nicolas de Ovando (the first governor of Santo Domingo Colony) and Columbus himself stayed a couple of times there. Who knows, you might just sleep in the same room such historic people slept in over 500 years ago? See the appeal of the Colonial Zone?!

Juan Dolio is great is you want a beautiful beach at your door step. There are lots of all-inclusives (what a surprise! :p ), but the Barcelo Hotel Chain also operates a small hotel there that is not all-inclusive. It's set back from the beach, but who cares when you can walk the 5 minutes of so under tropical soothing Palm trees and trade winds! The beaches in Juan Dolio are perfectly fine and beautiful with mature palm trees and clear waters, however, the beaches there are no match for what's found in Boca Chica, La Romana, or the Goddess of the All-Inclusives Punta Cana. Don't start to panic, the beach in Juan Dolio is still nicer than most beaches around the world. In addition, you will only be 45 minutes east of the Capital, 30 minutes east of the America's Airport, 15 minutes west from Sammy's birthplace (San Pedro), and there are some wonderful golf courses nearby (like Guavaberry) and lots of activities at the resorts. There are some local businesses in the area for you to patronize also.

EXCURSIONS

1. Isla Saona, if you have the chance of taking this tour, by all means take it! It's heaven on earth, and no this is not a cliche, it's true!! The most beautiful place on earth, hands down, well, Maybe Samana could give it a nice competition.

2. Scuba Diving at La Caleta Underwater Park, this is between the Airport and the Capital along Autopista Las Americas. There are some boats that were sunk in 1984 that have grown some nice corals on them. Alot of colorful fishes, very nice scuba place. If you like the underwater world, consider this!

3. Altos de Chavon, I know you said no sightseeing, but how can you be so close and not go! Instantly you would feel like if you left the DR and stepped into Italy! Aside from the beauty of the town, the views are so nice that if you forget your camera, no one will believe you back at home. There are also some cruises in an old Mississippi style river boat up the Chavon River. Very scenic river with high cliffs and coconut groves over hanging along the meandering river. Paradise at its finest!

4. Parque Nacional del Este, if you like birdwatching this is the place to go! So many birds of so many colors that it's unbelievable. It's a shame that Hippo wants to slaughter all of this, so go now before it's lost forever.

5. Punta Cana drive, if you decide to sleep in the America's Airport vicinity and head for PC the day after your arrival, you should consider driving to Punta Cana via Highway 4, instead of Las Americas. Highway 4 can be taken by turning left at the rotonda once you enter San Pedro. Follow that road all the way and it will become Highway 4. The road will take you to Hato Mayor, in the town of Hato Mayor (I don't really like this town, though it does have some charm) make sure to follow the Highway for El Seibo and not Sabana de la Mar. Between Hato Mayor and El Seibo you are going to witness some of the most peaceful and drop dead gorgoeaus Tropical countryside on the planet! Very sparsely populated area, but gorgeaus the full way. Once you reach El Seibo (nice town in my opinion, though not affluent) you should keep going towards Higuey. The ride is still very nice. As you approach Higuey you can't miss the highest belltower in the Hemisphere that belongs to the Cathedral of the Altagracia (the holiest spot in the country). The church is suppose to look like a pair of hands in prayer (took me a while to figure it out). The insider just makes you wonder how they built it, it's really impressive. The church looks best under sunlight, so if it's overcast, don't bother taking a picture from the outside because it looks like something from Transilvania or something. From there, follow the signs for Punta Cana. Lovely terrain, though it gets drier until you hit the coast. Once on the coast, enjoy some of the most idillic beaches anywhere.

There are other stuff to see and do in the area, but this is enough to satisfy your appetite for Dominicaness. Enjoy!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would suggest Bayahibe. There are locally owned rooms for rent as well as larger hotels and AIs, good beaches and excursions to Saona, Altos de Chavon, La Romana, etc. A couple of hours away from SD.

Chiri

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Wow, I am overwhelmed at how helpful everyone has been - that's what I love about DR1!
I have decided that I will stay in Juan Dolio (the short drive sold me) and take some daytrips to Santo Domingo, Isla Saona and Altos de Chavon. Mainly I think we will just live day by day and we will do what our hearts desire each morning when we wake up (whether that be laying on the beach, driving down the coast or going into Santo Domingo). I will definitely give a trip report when I am back and let you all know how it turned out and what we did!!!

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
A Great Plan

Nal0whs said:
If you want to truly enjoy the eastern section of the DR well, you should consider doing the following, though not all because you might not have time to do them all. But, there's always next time!!

This is the perfect plan! I wish I would have ventured out a little more when I was in La Romana last week.

Charlie
Indianapolis