Fraud and Violence Emphasized in International News

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I saw that this morning - and thought to myself that if it does not have at least one dead body in it, it does not seem to be worth publishing. Makes one sick eh! There is hardly any reporting of the positive side. I wonder why these reports sound so uniformly negative?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's How the Media Works!

In general, the media focuses on what is more exciting because they are businesses like all others trying to attract the most attention. It's more exciting to say that 4 people were killed in Dominican elections than saying that compared to previous elections and elections of most democracies around the world, The Dominican Republic became a stellar example of Democracy during it's election. Lets face it, we hear the first one on a news brief and we'll stay up late to watch the news, for the latter it's not as exciting. That's why the media focuses on the negative than the positive.

However, it cannot be denied that the international media has always considered the Dominican Republic a third world country. As such, in the media at least, those labels must be lived up to. In such cases, the media focuses on the crimes that less than 1% of voters actually experienced. By doing such thing kind of keeps the DR in that "position" of third worldness. Also, I don't remember international coverage of the robust economic gains during the 1990s when the DR practically lead the world, but there was more than enough coverage of the current crisis. These are things that I don't agree with the media, but I understand why they do it as such.