EPS, Shipping items

sisjay

Feb 27, 2004
I am moving to Santo Domingo in August. I found a place already (in Bella Vista) and visited last week for orientation at UNIBE.

BOY OH BOY :confused: did the insight provided on this forum help me... Although I definately experienced culture shock, I reflected on some things I had read on the forum and was able to minimize the effects...First things FIRST, I HAVE GOT TO LEARN SOME SPANISH FAST...On the other hand, I left Santo Domingo with a smile, and couldn't help but notice how beautiful the people are there - men and women!

I've been reading about shipping personal items, which I have decided not to, or at least to keep them to the BARE minimum, after reading the horrors!

I am coming with my 3 children so I figure we each get to bring 2 check in backs totalling 72 pounds each AND we each get to bring on a carry-on...

I have a printer, fax-machine, VCR and a couple of phones that I am planning to "stuff" into our carry-on luggage... then I will pack all the personal things that I can possibly fit into our check in luggage. Will bringing these items with me on the airplane be a problem coming through customs?
My dilema... I have a desk-top computer that I'd like to ship. I considered getting a lap top but my children use the desk-top all the time... I have looked for the company that the forum talks about... EPS but I haven't found any contact information on them...

Will someone help me get a better understanding of how to ship my computer from San Francisco to Santo Domingo using the best company, and also provide the contact information....

trt

Feb 3, 2004
First, unless you really need that specific printer or VCR, consider leaving them at home and buying replacements here. We bought a decent VCR for about $70 and a printer for about $100 and we don't even live in SD, where there is bound to be a better selection.

If we had to do it over again we would not ship anything. We lugged in 9 huge suitcases plus carryons for the three of us, including some electronics and even a TV satellite dish (don't ask) _ we paid a guy about $10 to "help" us through customs, but we didn't have to pay anything else on any of it. We shipped four or five boxes and got dinged about 30 percent duty on everything, plus it all sat around in some warehouse for weeks, i guess while they decided how much they could wring out of us.

good luck on the move

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do not use EPS-they are too expensive.

If you must ship something, ship it Business Mail. I can get you the contact information in Miami.

TRT is probably veryclose to what you could expect.

Good Luck

HB

sisjay

Feb 27, 2004
Business Mail

Hillbilly said:
If you must ship something, ship it Business Mail. I can get you the contact information in Miami.

TRT is probably veryclose to what you could expect.

Good Luck

HB

Thanks!... I will wait for the business mail information. I am afraid that I won't be able to buy another computer, especially if it is affordable to ship it... I will be living on financial aid (yikes).

trt...
thanks for the insight. I will consider buying those items again...

I guess I will just host a HUGE Garage Sale before I board the plane :cool:

casscade

May 24, 2003
Eps

I have to agree - shipping with EPS is very expensive! Last time I picked up my mail from them it was RD $2,350. That's about U.S. $54.00 for around 15 letters and 4 magazines/mail order catalogs. I'm in the process of reducing my incoming mail!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Cascade,and other EPS users!

Please be very aware,you don't pay for any correspondence you don't want!!!!!! Just look at what they give you,and hand back anything you don't want.They will not charge you for those cards,letters,bank advertising,magazines,etc.,that you don't want!!!Don't be shy!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

casscade

May 24, 2003
It is my understanding that with EPS you cannot decline the mail. I have a friend that received her mail at a different agency in Santo Domingo and she could decline her mail. She came with me to EPS (in San Pedro) and asked if that was their policy (my Spanish is not fluent) and they told her I had to pay for it all!!!

roca

Jun 23, 2003
Yes, you can refuse any mail you don't want on EPS.
Yes, Business Mail is far cheaper than EPS.
Example, I had a mini Ipod shipped to me, just imagine the size of it. Paid over 900 on it including import duties.
Shipped a box 6 times larger and about 4 times heavier than the Ipod with 4 laser ink toners via Business Mail, paid only 200.
BTW, with Busness Mail, you rarely pay any import duties, maybe because of their connections to the government, but hey, who cares.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Addresses

In Santo Domingo: Roberto Pastoriza #1

In Miami: 6911 N.W. 87 Ave
Suite A
Miami 33178
\

HB:)

Lissa

Aug 7, 2003
www.lldesigndr.com
roca said:
Yes, you can refuse any mail you don't want on EPS.
Yes, Business Mail is far cheaper than EPS.
Example, I had a mini Ipod shipped to me, just imagine the size of it. Paid over 900 on it including import duties.
Shipped a box 6 times larger and about 4 times heavier than the Ipod with 4 laser ink toners via Business Mail, paid only 200.
BTW, with Busness Mail, you rarely pay any import duties, maybe because of their connections to the government, but hey, who cares.
Of course Business Mail is cheaper, but by far, than EPS, because the owner of business mail is mr. alberto atallah the same guy that is the Administrative secretary of the presidency, so he is very connected and in customs he must pay very low fees...