La Vega - Samana transport information

lensky

May 17, 2004
I will be traveling in September to La Vega and from there I need to go to a wedding in Samana where I will be staying for two days.Because we will be partying I do not want to drive. Now the question. What is the best way to get from La Vega to Samana, I remember being in La Vega a few years ago and not being able to get a car to take us to Santiago . When I was growing up there one just called a car and they came to pick you up at your door first thing in the morning. Is there such a thing anymore?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yes they still exist, they are now known as radio taxis. These taxi cabs tend to be comfortable with AC, they don't stop around like Publicos, and many of the drivers have some very interesting stories to tell. They will even cross the entire country if you ask them to, well you being Dominican you should probably know how nice Dominicans are!

Anyways, if you are driving from Downtown La Vega, make sure you get on Highway 132 or as it's much more commonly known, the La Vega-San Francisco de Macoris Highway. Once in San Francisco de Macoris (notice the nice mansions there, impressive) make sure you get on the San Francisco de Macoris-Nagua Highway. Technically it's still highway 132, but nobody know the roads by their number in the DR. Once in steamy but pleasant Nagua, make sure you get on Highway 5 or the Nagua-Sanchez Highway also known as Carretera Luperon and that Highway will take you straight into the idillic Samana Peninsula. The Highway passes right through the town of Samana and finishes at Las Galeras. If you are headed towards Las Terrenas or Limon, turn at the turnoff on your left onto a spankin newly paved road after the town of Sanchez. The road ends in Las Terrenas, enjoy the magnificient views!! Remember, if you get lost, just lower your windows and ask for directions from a Dominican that seems in a good mood to ensure a kind response, especially if it's a very hot day. In general people are nice, but it's not nice to bother people when its hot and humid and its noon! Well, you know! Enjoy your trip!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No Caribe Tours bus from La Vega to Samana.

There are a couple of "public" buses that travel between Samana and Santiago. The one I am familiar with leaves Samana about 7:30 am and leaves Santiago around 1 or 1:30. You can wait along the highway and flag it down when it passes. If you are interested, I can give you some phone numbers you can call for more info and perhaps arrange to be picked up on the highway if your schedule meshes with that of the bus.

Another good option is to take a public car (publico) from La Vega to San Francisco de Macoris, then take a Caribe Tours or Metro bus from there to Samana. In term of flexibility, that is your best bet unless you want to pay for a taxi to take you and a considerably higher price.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jimmydr said:
Caribe tours doesn't stop there??

Yes, you can take a Caribe Tours bus from La Vega to Santo Domingo, Santiago, Jarabacoa. But not to Samana.

lensky

May 17, 2004
Everyone have been increddible informative, Thank you so much. Its nice to know there are so many nice people out there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there are easier ways

1) Come to Santiago early in the morning and get a direct bus to Saman? at the corner of Pedro Francisco Bon? and Mella, near the hospital Cabral y B?ez.

2) Go to SFM, get there by 8:45 a.m. and buy a ticket on the Metro for Samana.

There is a Metro bus that goes through SFM twice a day, morning and afternoon. You could call the Metro Station in SFM and ask the right times.

Piece of cake..

HB

lensky

May 17, 2004
Thanks so much Nal,Jimmy,Ken,HB. I think I will be able to handle the trip thanks to you all . Looking forward to enjoying vacation and visiting my Mom without having to drive ( wich I am terrifyed of doing in DR),(Long Story).

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You're killing me..

Nal0whs said:
Yes they still exist, they are now known as radio taxis. These taxi cabs tend to be comfortable with AC, they don't stop around like Publicos, and many of the drivers have some very interesting stories to tell. They will even cross the entire country if you ask them to, well you being Dominican you should probably know how nice Dominicans are!
You had me laughing so hard, I inhaled part of my tuna sandwich and darn near choked to death.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
watch it Rocky, I don't want any fatalities now! :D