another passport question

travelling fool

May 17, 2004
www.7daysinparadise.com
Hi All.
My wife and I, along with 2 teens are planning on a trip to the DR shortly, unfortunately, one of the teens doesn't have a passport, and the timing for us to take this vacation doesn't afford us the time for her to get one. We've been scouring this (and many other boards) for any information that we can get about traveling without a passport. We've ready many reports from the American travellers, but very few from the Canadian ones. Soooo.. any Canucks out there that can offer us their experiences with this? We are flying out of Toronto, probably World Of Vacations (air transat or Skyservice).

Sorry to be flogging a dead horse over this topic, but some of the reports that we've read have got us a little nervous.

Thank you all in advance!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
travelling fool said:
Hi All.
My wife and I, along with 2 teens are planning on a trip to the DR shortly, unfortunately, one of the teens doesn't have a passport, and the timing for us to take this vacation doesn't afford us the time for her to get one. We've been scouring this (and many other boards) for any information that we can get about traveling without a passport. We've ready many reports from the American travellers, but very few from the Canadian ones. Soooo.. any Canucks out there that can offer us their experiences with this? We are flying out of Toronto, probably World Of Vacations (air transat or Skyservice).

Sorry to be flogging a dead horse over this topic, but some of the reports that we've read have got us a little nervous.

Thank you all in advance!

I personally have always travelled with my passport from Toronto to the DR (POP point of entry) but on my last trip I met a couple who were only travelling with their driver's licence and birth certificate and they did not seem to have any problems. I tend to find that entering customs in the Dominican Republic is rather laid back and they are more concerned that you have your tourist card. I hate to say it but immigration into the DR seems rather lax! If your daughter is a Canadian citizen and has proper ID other than a passport, I would not be worried but why don't you call your travel agent to make sure. You definitely won't have any problems on your return - even if they hold you up at customs, if you are Canadian citizens eventually all will be sorted out.

travelling fool

May 17, 2004
www.7daysinparadise.com
Fiesta Mama said:
I personally have always travelled with my passport from Toronto to the DR (POP point of entry) but on my last trip I met a couple who were only travelling with their driver's licence and birth certificate and they did not seem to have any problems. I tend to find that entering customs in the Dominican Republic is rather laid back and they are more concerned that you have your tourist card. I hate to say it but immigration into the DR seems rather lax! If your daughter is a Canadian citizen and has proper ID other than a passport, I would not be worried but why don't you call your travel agent to make sure. You definitely won't have any problems on your return - even if they hold you up at customs, if you are Canadian citizens eventually all will be sorted out.

Thanx Fiesta Mama!
we have talked with all sorts of travel agents, most say that there won't be any problems, but a few have said that they won't even book us without a passport. We're pretty much sold on the fact that there shouldn't be any problems, but we're just trying to be sure.

Thanx again!!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It is always easier to travel with a passport but it is not necessary for the DR. That said, if you have any trouble, it will be before you leave Canada, when you are checking in. I suggest you call the airline that you will be flying with.

PS Have the agents check out www.drembassy.org

Last edited:

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
Hi!

I travelled to the DR in February with Skyservice and Signature Vacations. I did not have a passport and had no problems at all! I used my Driver's Licence and Birth Certificate. There were no problems booking with the travel agent, and no problems entering the DR. Fiesta Mama is right....they are more concerned that you have your tourist card.

However, you CAN expidite the passport process. Only problem is that it will cost you!

Good Luck!

travelling fool

May 17, 2004
www.7daysinparadise.com
Nelly said:
It is always easier to travel with a passport but it is not necessary for the DR. That said, if you have any trouble, it will be before you leave Canada, when you are checking in. I suggest you call the airline that you will be flying with.

PS Have the agents check out www.drembassy.org

Hi Nelly,
we tried the airlines, they said talk to the consulate. :ermm:
consulate says birth certificate and gov't issued photo ID. You'd think we were asking a politician to commit to a straight answer or something!

thanx for the response and the link!

travelling fool

May 17, 2004
www.7daysinparadise.com
LuvtheDR said:
Hi!

I travelled to the DR in February with Skyservice and Signature Vacations. I did not have a passport and had no problems at all! I used my Driver's Licence and Birth Certificate. There were no problems booking with the travel agent, and no problems entering the DR. Fiesta Mama is right....they are more concerned that you have your tourist card.

However, you CAN expidite the passport process. Only problem is that it will cost you!

Good Luck!

Thanx LuvtheDR!

the airlines didn't give you any hassel at the airport here? It seems that the DR is no problem ...no pun intended :cheeky: , but the Canadian side seems to be where we are having all the trouble getting a straight answer out of someone.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
travelling fool said:
Thanx LuvtheDR!

the airlines didn't give you any hassel at the airport here? It seems that the DR is no problem ...no pun intended :cheeky: , but the Canadian side seems to be where we are having all the trouble getting a straight answer out of someone.

We had no problems at the airport here. The person I was with had a passport, and I didn't. There was no problem at all! I do have to admit that I was a little nervous about not having a passport, but it all worked out very well. I do have a passport now though, but not because of any issues that I encountered.

When are you going on your trip? If you are able to drop off and pick up your passport application, you cut the processing time down to 2 weeks from 4 weeks.

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
You cant be serious

Although I wish you the very best for your trip, I cant believe you would put your family at risk in this way. Think about it, this world is a very dangerous place, we never know what will happen from day to day anywhere and you want one of your children to travel without a passport????? :mad: Get your bum to the isuing authority and queue until he gets his passport. Bon Voyage

travelling fool

May 17, 2004
www.7daysinparadise.com
Ladybird said:
Although I wish you the very best for your trip, I cant believe you would put your family at risk in this way. Think about it, this world is a very dangerous place, we never know what will happen from day to day anywhere and you want one of your children to travel without a passport????? :mad: Get your bum to the isuing authority and queue until he gets his passport. Bon Voyage

Well, the fact of the matter is that this is a friend of my daughter who is looking to come with us, our family all have our passports, and we never travel without them.

thanx for your input.

travelling fool

May 17, 2004
www.7daysinparadise.com
LuvtheDR said:
When are you going on your trip? If you are able to drop off and pick up your passport application, you cut the processing time down to 2 weeks from 4 weeks.

TIme unfortunately is not on our side in this case, that's why we're considering the non-passport route. If we had a few weeks to go, there wouldn't even be a question as to what to do.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
travelling fool said:
Well, the fact of the matter is that this is a friend of my daughter who is looking to come with us, our family all have our passports, and we never travel without them.

thanx for your input.

You say these are teen's.....just how old are you talking? I'm not sure if I would want to take my daughters friend to another country if she's under 18 and no passport!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
travelling fool said:

thanx for your input.
You would be wise to find out what you need for the child to fly with you other than a passport, such as notorized letters from her parents. I needed a notorized letter from my attorney for my 12 year old daughter to fly alone. I needed the same from her mother.

Scott