What voting was like

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Just to share a Dominican voter's experience this past Sunday...I arrived at my voting place (Colegio San Juan Bautista) at 9:25 a.m. and promptly located my voting table (0265B) in the roofed back yard of the school (nice and cool in the shade) in Bella Vista, right behind Bella Vista Mall, in a well-to-do neighborhood of Santo Domingo.

There were two lines in each voting table, one for males and one for females, the female one being about twice as long (supposedly, females went early in the morning so they could finish promptly and go back home to cook the noon meal--sorry about this machista reality of our culture). For every male, two females were let register and vote. The process was well-organized and not a hardship at all. I had previously checked my status by internet and had my numbered position in the voters' printout and gave this number to those in charge to make things easier and quicker.

Upon presenting my 'cedula' (national i.d. card) I was given the voting form from which I could chose any of 10 candidates and proceeded to the voting booth to mark block no. 21 (Frente Nacional Progresista with Leonel Fernandez as its candidate) and put it into the ballot box. Immediately thereafter I signed the printout next to a copy of my cedula and photo and was marked with indellible ink in my right forefinger (to avoid attempting to vote again if holding a second i.d.). I was out by 10 a.m. In 35 minutes I had done the supreme duty of citizens of countries where democracy has some kind of presence. It felt good, especially after voting for the correct and winning candidate.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
My experience

was just like yours at Naco's Colegio Luis Munoz Rivera, electoral college #209B. I came in at 6:30am, paid $20 for a parking space and was out by 8:30am after drinking free coffee and exchanging the latest gossip and news with the blue bloods from Piantini and Naco. The place by 6:30am was heavily crowded already. I got number #34 in my line of men.

Of course, my electoral college is perhaps the most peaceful an organized of all and nothing funny was happening there. However, we knew that several goons from the PRD were inside and in the vicinity heavily armed and ready to start trouble if they got their orders from Guido.

But we were also ready. Although none of us brought in guns into the college, our guns were packed and ready in our cars. The PRD knew this. They were very cautious and fortunately, Collin Powell stopped the nonsense with a simple phone call to Hipolito and PPH sympathizer Hans Hertell, who will be an ex-ambassador as soon as Leonel takes over.

TW

Apr 26, 2002
Golo100 said:
...fortunately, Collin Powell stopped the nonsense with a simple phone call to Hipolito and PPH sympathizer Hans Hertell, who will be an ex-ambassador as soon as Leonel takes over.
1. It makes no sense that the PPH would plan an anti-democratic takeover without a contingency plan as to what to do when the US calls and says "stop" other than to quit.
2. Leonel will have absolutely no say over who is the Ambassador to the DR. How much money did Leonel contribute to George Bush's campaign, anyway?!?!

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Totally hassle-free

frank alvarez said:
Just to share a Dominican voter's experience this past Sunday...I arrived at my voting place (Colegio San Juan Bautista) at 9:25 a.m. and promptly located my voting table (0265B) in the roofed back yard of the school (nice and cool in the shade) in Bella Vista, right behind Bella Vista Mall, in a well-to-do neighborhood of Santo Domingo.
QUOTE]

I voted at the exact location, down to the voting table ! However, I went in at 3pm and finished the whole process in 2 minutes. No line whatsoever !

The round-trip drive from San Pedro de Macoris (where I live), though, took almost 3 hours due to heavy rain. Then again, I would happily drive to Monte Crisiti just to vote Hippo out ! :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If the "Cardinal" can get rid of Ambasador Peligrini,

I think that Leonel,as President,can get rid of "Hertell The Turtle!!!!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
how about that?

Formosano2000 said:
frank alvarez said:
QUOTE]

I voted at the exact location, down to the voting table ! However, I went in at 3pm and finished the whole process in 2 minutes. No line whatsoever !

The round-trip drive from San Pedro de Macoris (where I live), though, took almost 3 hours due to heavy rain. Then again, I would happily drive to Monte Crisiti just to vote Hippo out ! :)

How about that! Two DR1 members at the same voting table, a 1 in 12,000 chance. I also drove in from somewhere else, La Vega, my hometown, where I was weekending and on my way to Bani where I work for a U.S. manufacturer. I still vote at that table for the convenience since I have a Santo Domingo voting address. Hope you voted for Leonel too!