driver, taxis, buses?

jfarrow

May 17, 2004
I am visiting the DR in July with my husband and baby flying into Santiago but staying in Las Terrenas (on the samana peninsula). I had been thinking of renting a car but having posted earlier and getting several responses suggesting otherwise I am thinking against it!

As a first time visitor what would anyone recommend as travel between Santiago and Las Terrenas? Taxi? Bus? How much would these cost? I have seen several posts mentioning drivers.....does anyone have someone they would recommend...is this the most expensive option?

If we don't rent a car will we miss out on seeing alot of the island? Or would taking taxis be fine? The rates I have been given for renting a car for 2 weeks work out to be around $500 inc insurance etc....would this get me lots of taxi rides?! Also, it has been indicated that no taxi would have a baby seat....what are the laws regarding this, can you hold a baby in the back seat?

thanks all.....I have really enjoyed reading the forum to get prepared for my trip! Very much looking forward to visiting this country you are all so fond of!

Last edited:

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Just my humble opinion

If I were you, I would try to take a bus or some other transportation from Santiago to Las Terrenas, especially if I were travelling with a small child. I have taken the Caribe Tours bus from Samana to Sanchez (where you then take a taxi over the mountain to Las Terrenas). I found it to be quite comfortable, not unlike a Voyageur or Greyhound bus. The washroom will not have running water and that is something to consider when travelling with a small child :).

You might also consider contacting the hotel/resort where you are staying in Las Terrenas. When we were there lastRose December, the owner of the place where we were staying said that he could arrange a good reliable driver for much less than the "posted price". Getting to Las Terrenas can be a bit challenging, and most places are used to making these kinds of arrangements.

Once you are in Las Terrenas, you might consider renting a car to toodle around in. I would wait a day or two to see if you really feel that you need it.

Driving in the DR is INSANE. I know lots of tourists do it, but I personally would not. I know my limitations.

Rose

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When do you get to Santiago. If it is during the day, would you consider spending the night there? The Hotel Colonial is very inexpensive but not a flea bag.

I ask because Caribe bus service from Santiago to Samana has just been initiated. The bus leaves the Caribe Tours terminal in Santiago at 6:15 am, passes through Puerto Plata and Sosua, then on to Samana. If you go this way, you would buy your tickets to Sanchez and take what we call a guagua in the DR. This is public transportation. They meet the buses in Sanchez because there are usually a few passengers going to Las Terrenas. You would travel in a comfortable air conditioned bus and see a lot of the country and get to Las Terrenas about noon.

Regarding baby seats, there are no laws requiring them here. You can hold the baby in either the front or back seat of a car.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
If you go this way, you would buy your tickets to Sanchez and take what we call a guagua in the DR. This is public transportation. They meet the buses in Sanchez because there are usually a few passengers going to Las Terrenas.

We were able to get a regular taxi (mini van) at the bus stop in Sanchez. For the trip back to Sanchez, the owner (Jos at Los Hollandaises) arranged for a taxi (car) for us.

Rose

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I travel to Las Terrenas by bus all the time. The only two bus lines I would take is either Caribe Tours or Metro Tours. I find them to be reliable, comfortable and pretty safe (according to Dominican standards). By the way, if you decide to take the bus, make sure you bring sweaters or blankets for the baby, since in my experience, it has always been freezing cold inside the bus.

They are also inexpensive and have a toilet on board. You might want to bring baby wipes as well since they don't always have toilet paper on board.

As mentioned above, you will get off in Sanchez; but I recommend that you contact the place where you are staying in Las Terrenas and tell them to send you a taxi to pick you up when you get there. Just tell them the time you will be arriving in Sanchez.

The taxis that hang around at the bus station (which by the way, they don't look like taxis, they look like regular old beat up cars) are not reliable as far as their maintenance is concerned. In order to get to Las Terrenas you have to cross a moutain with lots of curves, some of them treacherous, and I just don't trust those cars and the condition of their brakes. Nor do I trust any of the local buses (they are mini buses).

When are you going to be in Las Terrenas and where are you staying? We are going there this weekend.

Juniper

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Stgo.-Las Terrenas

I suggest to rent a car in Stgo.
The quoted price sounds alright to me, you will not find a reliable car for that money in LT and it will keep you mobile at your destination.
One does need to get accustomed to driving in this country, but taking your time and driving very defensively will get you to LT safely.
I'd rather drive in my own vehicle crossing the mountains between Sanchez and LT than boarding any Dominican car.
Depending on where you stay in LT you may want to have your own transport anyway.
As you are taking your baby I do recommend a car, even more so, as we do get more rain here than other parts of the country.
We live near the Sanchez-LT-road.
You are welcome to give us a call (248-2803) when you are here.

mountainfrog
www.samanave.com

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
lensky said:
Ken ,is the Hotel Colonial near the Bus Stop?...Sounds like a great suggestion

It is right in the city. Close to bus terminal, but you will need to take a taxi. It will cost about RD$50 to get to the bus station from the hotel. The phone number of the hotel is 809-247-3122. Ask them to put you in the new section if they can. Rooms basically the same as in old section, but newer.

jfarrow

May 17, 2004
thankyou all for your responses! I will look into the buses and the hotel that Ken mentions! Can't wait to visit!