An open proposal to Leonel Fernandez-Can anybody tell him?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Just to show you, that corruption, graft and business-as-usual will be the order of the day again, I will throw this challenge to Leonel:

I offer myself for the post of Consul general in Miami, Florida...with several conditions:
I will take the job for one year with just a basic salary, no expense account, no living expenses paid, no rent allowance, no travel expenses except for mandatory meetings called by the foreign office, no commissions, no honorary fees, no gifts, no christmas bonus or 13th. salary, no vacation,no sick days and all under written contract. I would even take my salary in pesos.

I will take the job if given the responsibility to charge only legal fees(stamp fees) and fees established by law for all consular transactions, including passports, legalizations, export permits and facturas consulares, visas, traslations, birth certificate legalizations, all document legalizations. I will not allow any additional fees for myself or any employees and reduce fees that I consider to be discretional to the office. I will cancel all parties and celebrations that cost the Dominican taxpayers. I will not allow any political activities. I will not accept political pressure from the government or any political party.

Is such thing possible? Can anybody do the right job under these conditions? You bet your life!!! There are hundreds of Dominicans like me who don't need the money, the bragging crap, and the prestige, who can save our taxpayers their hard earned money and bring this country back to health. We got the resources in DR to make this a healthy nation.

The problem is, men like me, who don't need a lousy government job to survive or live a good, solid citizens life without taxpayer help are not welcome in government. We're too good to be true. Politicians hate our guts, because we earn legally both here and abroad, pay our taxes and sleep well at night.

Let Leonel know. I bet my life he will pick a henchman, chopo who needs to build a palace for himself, but does not have the cash to do it, or is so f--king greedy, he needs a lousy honorary fee from a helpless Dominican citizen abroad.

TW

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
La Utopia

Politics and Government in a Latin American country, in a 'banana republic' like the DR, is far from being perfect and you, Golo100, through your posts have shown you know what things here are about. I don't know how young you are but I can guarantee you that neither you, your children nor your grandchildren will see great changes in the way things are done. Sure, it would be great if things were as in the U.S., for example, but heritage and customs dictate otherwise in these latitudes and neither Leonel, Bush or the Pope himself could do much to change that.

Just be glad Hippo will soon be gone and with Leonel we should be much better off but hardly in "La Utop?a". Our hard realities will be here for a long, long time.