Aren't sankies for older people?

Porthos

May 13, 2004
I know this might be opening a Pandora's box or whatever you say it in english, but that's what I've seen. I said before that I'm a 23 y/o dominican, born and raised here at DR's Capital. I'm middle-high class or even rich by dominican standars, and thus my point of view is a little different from the 90% of dominicans here. Yada yada yada. Anyway, I've been to some of the touristic zones as a tourist myself (you name it, Bavaro, Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Sosua, Romana, Bayahibe, Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, etc) And I do get surprised at the way of life of the sankis. Of course, it surprises me more that there are people who buy them. I've read a lot of your complaining or whining about what sankis do to you, you know, use your feelings to get some money, and all that crap. The thing is: Aren't sankis almost always hitting on 50+ women, with tits like socks and more wrinkles than an old shirt? I repeat, this is what I see. If you don't look like this and you got fooled by a sanki, then you diserve it, for staying at those hellholes where nothing good can come from (cheap bars and that kind of places). Wanna know real domincan way of lovin'? Then start using your head! wanna know some hints on how to tell a sanki from a not sanki? That may come later

Porthos

May 13, 2004
Sankies and tigueres

I started this thread and for no reason had only one reply, even thought a couple of days after mine, AZB, which I don't know by the way, started his own thread called "All you sankie loving trailor-trash, Lets talk seriously." He basically said the same thing I did, only that he went on more details I didn't want to touch in the first place. But I still want to make one point clear and it is that sankies are an underground "culture" here and, in fact, many educated people aren't even sure about what a sanky is. I've never met a sanky myself, all my experience, if any, comes from seeing them acting at beaches, and I must say I find their "friendlyness" even anoying, don't forget they earn their lives that way, and most of them have nothing to loose. They are players and pros, and so they have a lot of practice on the art of (manipular?) afecting people, and I don't see who want to spend some time with anyone like this. With all this I mean that sankies don't represent the real dominican man.

We do have a lot of tigueres, wich at first have practically no differences from the sankies, but somehow they aren't affected by the aura of "scumbags" or "crap" that usually surround the sanky. Tigueres are a very wide range of guys who by definition are smart-asses, defying, womaneizers, some of them low-educated, but hard working and life embracing. Our most famous tiguere right now is Mr. Hipolito Mej?a. And he is proud of being a tiguere. I don't find a reason a sanky would be proud of being one.

I don't consider myself a tiguere, but I do find I have some things in common with them. It's something that most dominicans have, in a way or another.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Porthos said:
I know this might be opening a Pandora's box or whatever you say it in english, but that's what I've seen. I said before that I'm a 23 y/o dominican, born and raised here at DR's Capital. I'm middle-high class or even rich by dominican standars, and thus my point of view is a little different from the 90% of dominicans here. Yada yada yada. Anyway, I've been to some of the touristic zones as a tourist myself (you name it, Bavaro, Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Sosua, Romana, Bayahibe, Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, etc) And I do get surprised at the way of life of the sankis. Of course, it surprises me more that there are people who buy them. I've read a lot of your complaining or whining about what sankis do to you, you know, use your feelings to get some money, and all that crap. The thing is: Aren't sankis almost always hitting on 50+ women, with tits like socks and more wrinkles than an old shirt? I repeat, this is what I see. If you don't look like this and you got fooled by a sanki, then you diserve it, for staying at those hellholes where nothing good can come from (cheap bars and that kind of places). Wanna know real domincan way of lovin'? Then start using your head! wanna know some hints on how to tell a sanki from a not sanki? That may come later
If you are dominican, born and reised as you stated, then you SHOULD know (and seen) that sankies do not discriminate against age, beauty or gender!.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Pathos, I am tired of beating dominican true reality into some of the hardhead foreigners on this board. The thing is that we live different lives in the same island. If you come here, stay on the beach area and only deal with dominican trash then your reality would be as follow: dominicans are all poor, women are loose and hookers, all dominicans are blacks and almost all are dying to get out of this island. Oh, and amelia vega is only representative of 5% dominican population. You, my friend, don't even exist in their books. There is no such thing as an educated rich dominican.
Now if you live in my world then you would also see this: domincians are rich, perhaps more richer than many americans who come to this island, they are equally educated (if not more than) their american counterparts, they drive late model SUV's (by the way it cost twice as much for the fully equipped model in this country than in USA for the same car), the girls are amelia vega type and many seem 100% spanish (from europe), they all pay for women on dates and many live in luxurious homes with maids and servents.
Note: I am not talking about the elite class yet, thats a whole different world.
So pathos, don't waste your time here, most tourists men come here for easy sex and when they do venture into santiago, they always end up in carwashes and whorehouses. Many hook up with "grillos" from barrios and feel thay have found decent dominican women (as opposed to hookers). These tourists are hopeless and thickheaded, they will not learn this in this lifetime. They are here for completely different reasons.
Take care buddy.
AZB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
To answer your question, No sankies are not just for old people and if you're A true Dominican you should know that like Miguel pointed out.

A SANKIE's purpose in life is not to date pretty girls but to extorte money and anything else they can get from their victims no matter what the age, shape or the looks are.

Again: This is not about all resort workers or Dominicans it's about Sankies.

Chilipepper

Mar 28, 2003
Not all Dominicans know what a sankie is........

My husband is dominican, born and raised, my parents are dominican and I was born in US. My husband and I didn't know what a sankie was until a few years ago while we were in Bavaro. A beach vendor was talking to my husband and was pointing out to him who were the sankies at the resort. We're not isolated people, we just never took notice of that. We have been to many places on the island and never really encountered this. Sankies know who to approach, not once did we seem them with latina/hispanic looking girls/guys we only saw them with anglo/european looking tourists.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the girls deserve what they get, but I couldn't imagine myself going somewhere on vacation and meeting somebody and think I am in love and willing to completly give my life for that person and I can't understand why some women would do this. Love does not happen in a week, I don't care what anybody says, it just doesn't happen. Especially long distance.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Don't be fooled, a sankie could be anyone in/out of the resort, street, beach, etc, not necessarily a member of the activities staff of an AI. A veteran or smart sankie will lure his/her prey into a trap instead of hunting it. A veteran sankie also knows that he has far less chance of success when dealing with hispanic/latin looking girls/guys than when dealing with anglo/european looking tourists. If those hispanic/latin looking girls/guys are "dominican" then the sankies will smell them coming a mile away and will stay clear of those.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
In a way it comes down to using your heart and your head to find out the truth about yourself and your partner... I usually (but of course not always) can feel people, if I like them, not like them, if they are sincere or bullshitting you... those kind of things..

When hit by a sankie women usually know this in their heart of hearts but choose to look the other way because they themselves are in love with the picture that is being painted.. something they can't experience at home for a variety of reasons (work, looks, time etc).. but mostly because it doesn't really exist...

The minute you're honest to yourself you know you have doubts and should act accordingly... dump the person in question... but most people find it difficult to be honest to themselves.. so they get taken..

MD

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Porthos said:

You know? You just never get used to seeing them. Last week while relaxing at Playa Grande with my family from the campo in Jamao Del Norte I saw a young good looking "sankie" relaxing with his 50+ something "lady of the moment". He sat there like a peacock while she sat (on two chairs because she was so huge) with her legs spread open, boobs resting on her stomach and munching away on some (alot) of food. Both seemed content and that's fine with me but I still must ask myself because my cousins from Jamao Del Norte were asking me "what the heck is that over there" (in Spanish of course). I shrugged and said "happiness".

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Porthos said:
I started this thread and for no reason had only one reply, even thought a couple of days after mine, AZB, which I don't know by the way, started his own thread called "All you sankie loving trailor-trash, Lets talk seriously." He basically said the same thing I did, only that he went on more details I didn't want to touch in the first place. But I still want to make one point clear and it is that sankies are an underground "culture" here and, in fact, many educated people aren't even sure about what a sanky is. I've never met a sanky myself, all my experience, if any, comes from seeing them acting at beaches, and I must say I find their "friendlyness" even anoying, don't forget they earn their lives that way, and most of them have nothing to loose. They are players and pros, and so they have a lot of practice on the art of (manipular?) afecting people, and I don't see who want to spend some time with anyone like this. With all this I mean that sankies don't represent the real dominican man.

We do have a lot of tigueres, wich at first have practically no differences from the sankies, but somehow they aren't affected by the aura of "scumbags" or "crap" that usually surround the sanky. Tigueres are a very wide range of guys who by definition are smart-asses, defying, womaneizers, some of them low-educated, but hard working and life embracing. Our most famous tiguere right now is Mr. Hipolito Mej?a. And he is proud of being a tiguere. I don't find a reason a sanky would be proud of being one.

I don't consider myself a tiguere, but I do find I have some things in common with them. It's something that most dominicans have, in a way or another.

In the Dominican culture it is widely known "you are either the tiger or the chicken". The answer is an easy one, but that doesn't mean that a man or woman has to go overboard. With that said and done I must write that I disagree with many posts here regarding the Dominican man and woman and I must say that the real Dominicans are NOT the ones that the tourists see. Real Dominican men and woman are educated, cultured and civilized. The ones that travel to a tourist trap AI or puta town and think they can judge 9+ million people are not in this world. Get off the beach, out of the AI and travel a little bit and you will experience the most wonderful people you might ever meet.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Amen!

DominicanScotty said:
In the Dominican culture it is widely known "you are either the tiger or the chicken". The answer is an easy one, but that doesn't mean that a man or woman has to go overboard. With that said and done I must write that I disagree with many posts here regarding the Dominican man and woman and I must say that the real Dominicans are NOT the ones that the tourists see. Real Dominican men and woman are educated, cultured and civilized. The ones that travel to a tourist trap AI or puta town and think they can judge 9+ million people are not in this world. Get off the beach, out of the AI and travel a little bit and you will experience the most wonderful people you might ever meet.

Dominican Scotty,

I could not agree more. I have a friend here in New Jersey who has been to the Dominican Republic 5 times, Panama and Costa Rica more than ten visits
each and a few other countries as well. I have heard him tell other people how poor the DR is. He has this view, as well as do some other tourists, that
I just cannot seem to change. ARGHHHHH!

I think this is a battle to educate others that we will never truly win.

JD

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Jersey Devil said:
Dominican Scotty,

I could not agree more. I have a friend here in New Jersey who has been to the Dominican Republic 5 times, Panama and Costa Rica more than ten visits
each and a few other countries as well. I have heard him tell other people how poor the DR is. He has this view, as well as do some other tourists, that

JD

I don't know where your friend thinks that Costa Rica is less poor than the DR. Costa Rica is just as poor if not more.........Central America as a whole is extremely poor and desisicate.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Jersey Devil said:
Dominican Scotty,

JD
Jersey Devil,

Alas...this is the problem... education. Firstly the one wishing to be educated must first wish to be educated. "You can bring a horse to the river but you cannot make him drink". You and I know better..let us enjoy the Caribbean's best kept secret. To the others? Oh well......

Scotty (By the way, the Dominicans call me Garrie pronounce like the mobster Gottie)

Last edited: