A Jimmydr Trip!!

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
I usually go for 10-12 days and stay in Sosua. I arrive in POP airport to be met by my Dominican girlfriend and an ex pat. I start everyday off by having a cappacino at The Bolgna Bar in Sosua. They are open 24 hours so it works well. I usually hit the internet cafe, Wilsons and he charges about $1.20 an hour, more or less. I return to the hotel get my girl and have breakast at 1 of many places in town, La Rocca, Rockys, PJ's, Moura Mai, The Europa, to name a few. After 8 years, I never got sick!!

Then the real thing I love about Sosua, my massage at M & M. It was 300 pesos but it went up to 400 which is $8.80. They had 2 rooms but now they have 4, since they got so BUSY. They do a great JOB!!!

This is my usual morning stuff.

My girl likes to hit the salon. It costs about $10 and when I found out the same things run about $30-$50 in the states, I don't mind her going twice a week at all.

Lots od days spent by the pool, or walking down to the beach. There are bars owned by Americans #10 & #66 as well as many owned by The English and Canadians. You can rent a lounge chair and have a waiter by your side for $2 a day!

I usually make a day trip to Caberete, well its only 10 minutes by taxi and I like to walk around and eat something at one of the many restaurants there.
There are many fine hotels located there as well.

I will continue later.

Last edited:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Where do you recommend for later at night in Cabarete / Sosua?

I am off in 2 weeks, can't wait!

nystateofmind

Aug 6, 2003
Jimmydr Trip

Hey Jim,

Aren't you leaving out a lot of stuff? This seems to be the family G rated version.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Are you now going "mainstream"????? lol...........

Batman

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
nystateofmind said:
Hey Jim,

Aren't you leaving out a lot of stuff? This seems to be the family G rated version.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Are you now going "mainstream"????? lol...........

Batman

No, this is the Jimmydr with the novia for 4 years in Dominican Republic. The G Rated JDR. LOL

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Novia for 4 years? So she lives there and you live where? You sound like a sucker to me.

Bottomfisher

Oct 19, 2002
Cabarete Palm Beach Condo's - DO NOT STAY THERE

---- All Posts by Bottomfisher are Opinions Based on Personal Experience ----

In 1999-2002, Cabarete Palm Beach Condo's (PBC) seemed on a RELATIVE basis worthy of being called luxury (see their website) ONLY because most of the other places were near shanty-quality (maybe not so bad but really not nice). However, in the past 3 years, Azzurro, Windham Viva Tangerine, and others are now reconstructed/refurbished/new and are FAR nicer. Making matters worse, Cabarete PBC is now a total rip off ($175/night and they have the balls to charge for Internet service on top of it and for a key for the safe!) on a relative basis and absolute basis, particularly since the insides are OLD and falling apart, and your views of the ocean from the high floor can be blocked by palm trees on the beach anyway. The pool is tiny and was cold when we jumped in the first few days.

If you want quality, stay elsewhere and a) get a price 1/2 of this place and b) 4 times nicer w/ better views. Until they cut their prices by at least 1/2 (which they should have done by now already due to their labor costs plummetting on the 2/3 peso devaluation -- they pay staff mostly in pesos -- and due to competition), and put some real money into improving the properties (our kitchenette had oven that didn't work and was so old the front of it came unglued from frame), there is NO reason to stay there in my view. Furthermore, the arrogance level of the owners is huge (like you'd expect from a place that USED to be the best but can't admit it now sucks), which moves its way to the staff (many of which are rude also).

Speaking of the staff, after "business hours" there is nobody at any kind of front desk to route calls to your room or help if you need something -- something any high priced hotel/condo should have but they appear to cheap to staff the office 24/7, despite rock bottom labor costs.

Feel free to send feedback, as maybe there is some reason to stay at a place like this that I can't comprehend.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Bottomfisher said:

---- All Posts by Bottomfisher are Opinions Based on Personal Experience ----

In 1999-2002, Cabarete Palm Beach Condo's (PBC) seemed on a RELATIVE basis worthy of being called luxury (see their website) ONLY because most of the other places were near shanty-quality (maybe not so bad but really not nice). However, in the past 3 years, Azzurro, Windham Viva Tangerine, and others are now reconstructed/refurbished/new and are FAR nicer. Making matters worse, Cabarete PBC is now a total rip off ($175/night and they have the balls to charge for Internet service on top of it and for a key for the safe!) on a relative basis and absolute basis, particularly since the insides are OLD and falling apart, and your views of the ocean from the high floor can be blocked by palm trees on the beach anyway. The pool is tiny and was cold when we jumped in the first few days.

If you want quality, stay elsewhere and a) get a price 1/2 of this place and b) 4 times nicer w/ better views. Until they cut their prices by at least 1/2 (which they should have done by now already due to their labor costs plummetting on the 2/3 peso devaluation -- they pay staff mostly in pesos -- and due to competition), and put some real money into improving the properties (our kitchenette had oven that didn't work and was so old the front of it came unglued from frame), there is NO reason to stay there in my view. Furthermore, the arrogance level of the owners is huge (like you'd expect from a place that USED to be the best but can't admit it now sucks), which moves its way to the staff (many of which are rude also).

Speaking of the staff, after "business hours" there is nobody at any kind of front desk to route calls to your room or help if you need something -- something any high priced hotel/condo should have but they appear to cheap to staff the office 24/7, despite rock bottom labor costs.

Feel free to send feedback, as maybe there is some reason to stay at a place like this that I can't comprehend.

I have read this same post in 3 other threads now. Why dont you just start off a new thread with this comment instead of posting it everywhere.
Start a new thread and EVERYONE will see it!

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Sosua

tired_boy said:
Where do you recommend for later at night in Cabarete / Sosua?

I am off in 2 weeks, can't wait!

Hi Tired Boy,
going back already? you're as addicted as i am.
I will be in Sosua around that time too, first I'll be in SD.
Tourist discos are as Jimmy writes : D'Classicos (new) and D'Latinos in same street; maybe High Caribe will have reopened, it was closed for remodelation in May.
If you like dominican atmosphere, on weekends go to Plaza Sosua Carwash, Plaza Caribe near Sosua Sol bungalows, or Parade de Alex in Sosua Abajo.

Bartolomeo

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bartolomeo67 said:
Hi Tired Boy,
going back already? you're as addicted as i am.
I will be in Sosua around that time too, first I'll be in SD.
Tourist discos are as Jimmy writes : D'Classicos (new) and D'Latinos in same street; maybe High Caribe will have reopened, it was closed for remodelation in May.
If you like dominican atmosphere, on weekends go to Plaza Sosua Carwash, Plaza Caribe near Sosua Sol bungalows, or Parade de Alex in Sosua Abajo.

Bartolomeo

Yes High Caribe was reopened 2 weeks ago. About D'Lations, i would not call it very touristy, I have been there 3 times since the reopening and at all occasions I would say between 80 and 90% in there was Dominicans.