Do the Islands of Saona o Catalina have any sort of sleeping accomadations?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Is it possible to spend the night in the Islands of Saona or Catalina?
if yes what type of accomadations are available?camping?gueshouses?hotels?
Thanks!

DomAm

May 11, 2002
RE: Isla Catalina

Was there May 2. Got there by boat from La Romana on an excursion (3 bus loads of people). Nice island with a small white sand beach but mostly deserted due to end of season. All the casetas (tiny wooden houses that sell food, etc) were closed. The only local presence I saw is a Marine detachment. If you plan to visit byo food/ice/beer, etc. Did'nt see any lodging of any kind including tents.

ginger ale

May 6, 2004
JC171 said:
Is it possible to spend the night in the Islands of Saona or Catalina?
if yes what type of accomadations are available?camping?gueshouses?hotels?
Thanks!
Hi, The answer to your question is no on both counts! There are no accomodations on either island.
The island of Saona only has one small village but no hotels etc... it's a fisherman's village. All tourists must leave the island by 5pm everyday. There are two ways of visiting the island, you can either take a tour which will include the boat and/or catamaran, drinks and food or charter a small boat (lancha) but you will need to bring your own food and drinks. Most tours will not even go to the small village, I believe only the Dominicus hotel has a right to go there. They don't want the people of the village to be bombarded with tourists everyday, which is normal. It would disrupt their lives too much.

As for Catalina, nobody lives on the island therefore impossible to stay there overnight. Same thing there, you can take a tour or you can rent a boat from the La romana marina but you'll need to bring your food and drinks. Part of the beach is reserved to Casa de Campo and the rest is taken care of by the excursion operators. You also have to leave the island by no later than 5pm.

I've been to both many many times and both are fantastic. It depends on what you want to do. Catalina is great for snorkeling, Saona is great for the catamaran ride and the beautiful colors of the sea!

Hope this helps.