Moises Alou

Cubfanone

May 24, 2004
I have a bet and we can't settle it. I say Moises is is married to Austria and has 3 sons. My friend says Moises is not married. Who's right?

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Married

when he came up to the expos in '93 i believe it was, he was on a post-game english radio show. he was called up about a month or so earlier. i believe it was before his father felipe became the manager. he was playing really bad and most of us wondered if he should not be sent down to the minors again. and he was very down. people were calling in and basically telling him to be positive etc. then a woman got on the phone and just starting gently going away at him in spanish. the host just let it go for a good minute or so even though 95% of his listeners would have had no idea what she was saying. then the woman hung up. the host - mitch melnyk i believe - asked moises who that was. he laughed and said that it was his wife and she was telling him to stop being so down and to wake-up and play like he can...and also to pickup some milk for the baby on the way home! after that his career took off.

hope i answered your question.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whatever, he is one nice guy

I met him here in Santiago one year when he was playing for the Aguilas Cibae?as. He is a very quiet guy, not that verbal but he has a quiet demeanor that is friendly and sincere.

I do hope he stays healthy this season and that the Cubs can go much furtherinto the playoffs. Sammy needs to get warmed up. What a Dominican lineup: Sammy, Moises and Aramis....

Go Cubs!

HB

Bacalao

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 5, 2003
Dont believe the hype

Hillbilly said:
I met him here in Santiago one year when he was playing for the Aguilas Cibae?as. He is a very quiet guy, not that verbal but he has a quiet demeanor that is friendly and sincere.

I do hope he stays healthy this season and that the Cubs can go much furtherinto the playoffs. Sammy needs to get warmed up. What a Dominican lineup: Sammy, Moises and Aramis....

Go Cubs!

HB

Last season I had Direct TV and the basic package came with the WGN network and got to watch a ton of Cub's game. While watching the cubs the one player I feel in love with was Moises Alou. I just love his game, his stoic stance and no batting gloves. He is one of the least hyped ballplayers, and last season he was really clutch in big spots during the Cub's run in the playoffs. I thought he had a lot more bigger hits than that the guy from San Pedro Marcoris. Speaking of Sosa, did you see the new pepsi Commercial with him where he goes and eats a Taco? I was sort of taken back by it at first because, Tacos are not a Dominican thing. No Dominican I know here in the Bronx eats Mexican food. There is a lot of hatred between these groups now. Everybody knows Tacos are a Mexican thing and most people could not name one Dominican dish. I asked this guy who said he was living in the Dominican Republic for five years and clamied to be an expert on the culture if he knew what a Tostoni was and guess what he didnt. I realize most Americans do not know the cultural difference between Latin countries and just group them all in together including marketing people. I realize it is just a commercial, but I wanted to comment on it because, in way it was sort of inaccurate. I ask this question, Would they show Matsui eating Chop Suey or Yao Ming eating Sushi in a commercial ? I do not want to sound so cynical because in the end I actually found the commercial pretty funny. I just wanted to mention it to see if anyone else noticed. I am jumping on the Ranger's Bandwagon, My Grandmother just Loves Soriano!

Bacalao :classic:

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"As Mois?s goes, so go the Cubbies!" Book of HBisms, Chap. 3, Axiom #1

You are so right. The Cubs need all three of the Dominicans to perform outstandingly.
As per Sammy and Tacos, (A) Remember that there are more Mexicans or Mexican-Americans than there are Dominicans or Dominico-Americanos.And (B)Tacos are very popular here among the young middle clase folks. Last night my son prepared "quesadillos" for my dinner. And he regularly has taco parties here at the Hovel. So did my daughter when she was here.(C) Anyone who has lived here for 5 days, let alone 5 years knows what "tostones"are. "What a maroon!"
Right on Soriano! Look at ther numbers...Maybe Rangers vs Yankees for AL ??
Or Redsox vs Rangers? What a funfest!

HB

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Maybe Rangers vs Yankees for AL ??
Or Redsox vs Rangers? What a funfest!

HB

We all know the Cubbies and BoSox are cursed, just look at what happened in last years playoffs. I does not matter how many Dominican players each team has.

Yankees vs. Rangers is a definate possibility. Have you seen the way the Yanks have been swinging the bats lately? The Yankees have their own Dominican player, Enrique Wilson, who has done a very nice job at second base for them this year. Let's not forget about A-Rod (yes he IS DOMINICAN!). I will bet anyone on this bored even money right now that A-Rod will win the American League MVP award this year IF he does not have a stint on the disabled list. Any takers? How about you mondongo, wherever you are. I would not mind taking some more of your money.
Larry

lagordy

Oct 20, 2004
yes he is married !

Cubfanone said:
I have a bet and we can't settle it. I say Moises is is married to Austria and has 3 sons. My friend says Moises is not married. Who's right?

i think i am a little late on the reply but yes he is happily married and has 3 boys which attend the same school as my children.