A Professional Dominicana as First Lady

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
From DR1 today:

Ana Mitila Lora writes in today?s Listin Diario on the background of the First Lady-elect Margarita Cedeno. She comments that it will be the first time the Dominican Republic has a professional first lady. With a doctorate in law, Cedeno was the deputy legal advisor to President Leonel Fernandez during his first administration. She was also part of the board of the Dominican Telecommunications Institute from 1996-2000. Among her interests is her work on programs such as one called ?From the Streets to Life,? which strives to reduce the number of street children in Santo Domingo. Cedeno is a co-founder of the Fundacion Global Democracia y Desarrollo, the Fernandez think tank and research center, and has worked closely alongside her now-husband Leonel Fernandez. She is the mother of two adolescents and has a baby girl with President-elect Fernandez. Lora describes her as ?a woman of today.?
--------------------------------------------------------

IMO this is a wonderful thing. Inspiring really. I hope this has tremendous impact on the country. She will serve as a true role model to all young ladies. It would be great if she can also serve an active role in government. This is by far better than First Lady's in the past that can only claim to be "esposa de..." A woman worth her weight in gold.

D

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
deelt said:
It would be great if she can also serve an active role in government. This is by far better than First Lady's in the past that can only claim to be "esposa de..." A woman worth her weight in gold.

D

Who elected her? Ever wonder why Hillary Clinton was so vilified? She had an active role in the Gov and that pissed of people, me included, because she held no official office. She had no accountability!
Mrs. Fernandez's job is to run charities and host parties and to keep her mouth shut!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Thanks sharing

your enlightened opinion! But isn't Hillary Clinton doing really great now?! I think so. Hillary was the only one that even cared to speak with Dominicans and come to Dominican communities to ask for our vote. Can we say the same for Rick Lazi-who?

As for H. Clinton's involvement and performance in the White House...it's a matter of opinion. She was vilified because she knew how to answer back...it's beautiful having an intelligent self-made woman in co-command. It's a nice twist to what women are forced to do in DR to make it to the "top." No pun intended.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Tony C said:
Who elected her? Ever wonder why Hillary Clinton was so vilified? She had an active role in the Gov and that pissed of people, me included, because she held no official office. She had no accountability!
Mrs. Fernandez's job is to run charities and host parties and to keep her mouth shut!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
deelt said:
your enlightened opinion! But isn't Hillary Clinton doing really great now?! I think so. Hillary was the only one that even cared to speak with Dominicans and come to Dominican communities to ask for our vote. Can we say the same for Rick Lazi-who?

As for H. Clinton's involvement and performance in the White House...it's a matter of opinion. She was vilified because she knew how to answer back...it's beautiful having an intelligent self-made woman in co-command. It's a nice twist to what women are forced to do in DR to make it to the "top." No pun intended.

Thanks again for your contribution.
Luckily I don't Live in NY. Hillary is the senator form Ny only because Rudy had to drop out do to illness.
How can You calim she was Self Made? What did she accomplish up until her Senate Campaign? She got a job in a law firm because her Husband was Governor. She was 1st Lady because her Husband was President! Isn't it funny how Liberal femminist always point to her when everything she has done is because of her Husband? I wonder how you would feel if laura Bush was in charge of major policy decisions? At least she had a Career!
Was Hillary on the Ballot in those elections when Bill was running for President? Did I have a chance to Vote against her?
Her main agenda in the White House was her Great "Health Care Plan". Wasn't that a great Sucess?
The Spouse of a Head of State(Male or Female) Has no right to meddle in Major Politcal Decisions. Nobody elected them and they are accountable to nobody.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am NOT a femanist & I certainly often object to some of the things that women DEMAND under the guise of equal rights (more in the way that they demand rather than whether they are justified or not), but I see a TREMENDOUS advantage with a thinking & professional woman standing alongside her husband who is at the helm of a country!!

Being at the 'TOP' one can lose track of reality & the basics, women tend to keep their heads fairly better screwed on than men! By being a thinking & professional woman, the First-lady elect will be able to give sane council to her husband when he is President & possibly avoid some of the glaring mistakes previous Presidents have made. I RARELY make important decisions without involving "She who must be obeyed". She gives a reasoned argument for or against my plans & then I either change my plans or intensify my decision making by building in additional safeguards. I may not AGREE with her thoughts, but they DO stimulate me into considering my decisions much more closely!

If this First-Lady can prevent her husband from making just two foolish errors of judgement, then she will have saved the country Millions of Pesos. I am confident that she will do a darn sight more than that though. SHE thinks, which is a LOT more than the last president did!! - Grahame.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Oh Tony!

You really believe what you say don't you? But in fact it is the other way around. Bill Clinton was able to accomplish all he did BECAUSE of Hillary. Never forget she ALWAYS made more money than Bill. This is not DR. You do not get to be partner of a law firm on looks. Her credentials are impeccable. Don't insult Hillary's qualification by suggesting that Laura Bush is just as qualified. All Laura Bush can do for you is to get you a reference book. Nancy Regan could get you a brujo and tell you to "just say no." On the "Health Care Plan" her ideas did not fail. In fact the Republicans just finished passing a prescription plan that had many aspects (although now distorded) of her very proposal. The plan fell due to politics and special interests.

Who's the liberal feminist here? That's the typical comeback to being called a "chauvenistic pig," and that language has never been used in my previous posts so please do refrain from using such myopic and limiting labels.

Sorry Rudy was in for a hard fight had he ran. But so what? She put on a hard campaign and won in part because Dominicans supported her. The fact that Leonel married an intelligent woman is indicative (to me) that he is a secure, confident, and capable man. I don't think very highly of a man who marries a stupid woman because she can roll in the sack and can cook you a meal. I find such a man insecure in his masculinity, afraid of being challenged by an intimate equal.

Tony C said:
Luckily I don't Live in NY. Hillary is the senator form Ny only because Rudy had to drop out do to illness.
How can You calim she was Self Made? What did she accomplish up until her Senate Campaign? She got a job in a law firm because her Husband was Governor. She was 1st Lady because her Husband was President! Isn't it funny how Liberal femminist always point to her when everything she has done is because of her Husband? I wonder how you would feel if laura Bush was in charge of major policy decisions? At least she had a Career!
Was Hillary on the Ballot in those elections when Bill was running for President? Did I have a chance to Vote against her?
Her main agenda in the White House was her Great "Health Care Plan". Wasn't that a great Sucess?
The Spouse of a Head of State(Male or Female) Has no right to meddle in Major Politcal Decisions. Nobody elected them and they are accountable to nobody.

Last edited:

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Just because the first lady-elect was the deputy legal advisor to Leonel during his first administration, does not mean that she will be offer a role in government this time around.. Given the condition the DR is in, it is my opinion she will stay in the background and let her husband deal with the issues. It is excellent that she is a professional and as mentioned before she will be a role model to all the young ladies in the DR, but I think that's as far as it will go. Leonel is going to have to play hard-ball, I don't think he will want his wife involved in that mess. Then again, he may need all the support and brainpower he can muster to get his head above water.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
deelt said:
You really believe what you say don't you? But in fact it is the other way around. Bill Clinton was able to accomplish all he did BECAUSE of Hillary..
And what did he accomplish because of Hillary?
deelt said:
Never forget she ALWAYS made more money than Bill..
Thats because Bill Never had a real job in his life.
deelt said:
This is not DR. You do not get to be partner of a law firm on looks..
No. You can a job in Arkansas if your husband is Governor though.
deelt said:
Her credentials are impeccable..
Ask her about a some property in Arkansas.
deelt said:
Don't insult Hillary's qualification by suggesting that Laura Bush is just as qualified..
Laura Bush is better qualified. As a teacher she could give more insight into education. What did Hillary do beside be a part of a crooked land deal?
deelt said:
All Laura Bush can do for you is to get you a reference book. .
Going to Bash Teachers now are we? So you think a mediocre Real Estate attorney is better than an educator of our Children?
deelt said:
On the "Health Care Plan" her ideas did not fail. In fact the Republicans just finished passing a prescription plan that had many aspects (although now distorded) of her very proposal. The plan fell due to politics and special interests..
The plan fell through because nobody wanted socialized medicine.
deelt said:
Who's the liberal feminist here?.
You are.
deelt said:
That's the typical comeback to being called a "chauvenistic pig," and that language has never been used in my previous posts so please do refrain from using such myopic and limiting labels..
Are you going to deny that you are a feminist or a liberal? I might disagree with you but to call me a Pig is just showing your true colors! I can name you many women who I feel are qualified to hold major office. But Hillary is not one of them
deelt said:
Sorry Rudy was in for a hard fight had he ran. But so what? She put on a hard campaign and won in part because Dominicans supported her..
The Same Dominicans who voted for such great Statesman as Salvador Jorge BLanco, Hippolito Mejia and Leonel Fernandez!
deelt said:
The fact that Leonel married an intelligent woman is indicative (to me) that he is a secure, confident, and capable man. I don't think very highly of a man who marries a stupid woman because she can roll in the sack and can cook you a meal. I find such a man insecure in his masculinity, afraid of being challenged by an intimate equal.
Take the male bashing to the Venus and Mars fourm.
In spite of your rantings I will get back to the main subject. While Mrs. Fernandez might be a fine Lady and a great role model I do not believe she should be a major part of the D.R.'s Goverment. She has no accountability. Unlike a Cabinet member or Dept Head if she messes up or is corrupt the president can disassociate her quickly and cleanly. Just like Bill did.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
What's with all this Hillary bashing?

What's with all this Hillary bashing? She was also the best-educated and most prepared First Lady in the history of the USA, just as Mrs. Fernandez will be in the case of the DR. She is a United States Senator, in her own right, and is a great example and inspiration to other females in the U.S. and around the world. We hope Mrs. Fernandez will do the same in the DR.

By the way, Bill Clinton was one of the best presidents in the history of the U.S., personal weaknesses aside, and I am sure he is missed by many Americans since during his mandate the U.S. enjoyed great economic success, something which was discontinued as soon as the current President took over.

Finally, the Clintons have visited the DR on several occasions, something which has made Dominicans appreciate them even more.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Well, you know how it goes....

frank alvarez said:
What's with all this Hillary bashing? She was also the best-educated and most prepared First Lady in the history of the USA, just as Mrs. Fernandez will be in the case of the DR. She is a United States Senator, in her own right, and is a great example and inspiration to other females in the U.S. and around the world. We hope Mrs. Fernandez will do the same in the DR.

Smart women don't have it easy. But that's neither here nor there. The fact that the first lady elect is a professional can only be a plus to the new administration. Nuff said.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Tony C said:
And what did he accomplish because of Hillary?

D: Everything. She paid the rent to make it possible.

Thats because Bill Never had a real job in his life.

D: Exactly my point. She did have a job.

No. You can a job in Arkansas if your husband is Governor though.

D: She was already working prior to his running.

Ask her about a some property in Arkansas.

D: Didn't Tordok call you out on your skewed idiosyncratic rants re: "conditional" laissez-faire markets? Be consistent and get off Whitewater. If the Republicans had spent half the time and money doing actual policy than pursuing the Clintons they would have made the country a better place. The Clintons made a lot of people alot of money and NOT at the cost of inner cities. He was one that actually did DO something. If you really believe we are in Iraq to "liberate" then I have a bridge to sell you..

Laura Bush is better qualified. As a teacher she could give more insight into education. What did Hillary do beside be a part of a crooked land deal?

D: Good education and parenting starts at home (especially for a stay at home Mom). If her daughters are an example of her skills then I have TWO bridges to sell to you. Obviously, you haven't seen the daughters latest arrest record.

The plan fell through because nobody wanted socialized medicine.

D: Oh please don't give me this crap. This the very issue of corrupted special interest influenced laddened politics that we need to fight against. Phamaceutical companies are really the ones behind the crisis state of health care worldwide. Nealry 40% of Dominicans (incl. 200,000 children) do not have health insurance in the US. Please get a grip on this. CEOs of HMOs earn $1/1000 spent on health care and Pharmaceutic companies earn $1/100 spent on health care. The issue is not a lack of money in the system it's the distribution of the money that is the problem.

You are.

D: sticks and stones...I guess it's easier to place labels than to come up with arguments...

Are you going to deny that you are a feminist or a liberal? I might disagree with you but to call me a Pig is just showing your true colors! I can name you many women who I feel are qualified to hold major office. But Hillary is not one of them

D: Your logic here is laughable. Thanks for the laugh. It's not really worthy of a response. It is obvious that you didn't read what I wrote. Sure there are many more qualified women but they didn't run. Hillary did.

The Same Dominicans who voted for such great Statesman as Salvador Jorge BLanco, Hippolito Mejia and Leonel Fernandez!

D: What??? Oh this is just another non-sensical rant. And your point is that???

Take the male bashing to the Venus and Mars fourm.
In spite of your rantings I will get back to the main subject. While Mrs. Fernandez might be a fine Lady and a great role model I do not believe she should be a major part of the D.R.'s Goverment. She has no accountability. Unlike a Cabinet member or Dept Head if she messes up or is corrupt the president can disassociate her quickly and cleanly. Just like Bill did.

D: Last time I read what I wrote it was ment to reflect that his choice is further indicative of his strong leadership qualities. The current First Lady has already proven to be a competent member within the previous administration.

Your responses seem highly defensive. Let me give you some advise. RELAX.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Go on and defend Bill and Hillary all you want. As far as I am concerned their actions are indefensible.

All I am saying is that the Spouse(Male or Female) of any President should not hold an imortant post in an administration. I don't care if they are from the left or the right. It is all about accountability. They have none! Try to understand that!

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
I agree with the essence of your argument

Tony C said:
Go on and defend Bill and Hillary all you want. As far as I am concerned their actions are indefensible.

All I am saying is that the Spouse(Male or Female) of any President should not hold an imortant post in an administration. I don't care if they are from the left or the right. It is all about accountability. They have none! Try to understand that!

Tony C, I agree with the essence of your argument. You are right. These spouses were not elected directly, of course. However, the reality is she shares her life with the President on a daily basis, eating, sleeping, relaxing together and there is no way you can tell me she will have no influence.

At least she is accountable to the people thru him. Just as countless other advisors Presidents require, which also have not been elected, and are not directly accountable to the people but are accountable thru the President who chose them. I think this can apply to the First Lady.

I'm sorry I disagree with your feelings about the Clintons; many, many Americans and people around the world admire and appreciate them.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
And!!

frank alvarez said:
What's with all this Hillary bashing? She was also the best-educated and most prepared First Lady in the history of the USA, . She is a United States Senator, in her own right, and is a great example and inspiration to other females in the U.S. and around the world.
And don't forget that she was one of the best lawyer in Arkansas. Ok that she did not dumpted her cheating husband but we all know that she needed him as much as he needed her. She helped her husband in many decision making because it's the norm to listen to someone that knows what in the hell she is talking about than to a first lady that is just a "trophy". She is not in office because she is a stupid person, far from that.

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
If Hillary and Ana were a Nancy Regan or a Laura B.

yes I would wholeheartedly agree with you. But that is not the case. Ana has already served competently within the first Leonel Administration.

BTW: Rice, Rumsfeld and Powell were also not elected under Bush but we still hold them accountable.

To me I see no difference in Leonel's case on the contrary to not do so is not maximizing on the available resources accessible to him.

Peace

Tony C said:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
deelt said:
BTW: Rice, Rumsfeld and Powell were also not elected under Bush but we still hold them accountable.
Rice, Rumsfeld and Powell are all cabinet members selected by the President and approved by the Congress. If one messes up they can be dismissed. If the First Lady messes up what can they do? What if she is implicated in a criminal act? Make Fernandez Divorce her?
Of course I realize that the 1st lady will have some input and discussions with the President. But she should not be in charge of any govermental decision making process nor hold a government position except ones that are ceremonial

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You're getting closer!!

Not quite there yet Deelt, but you ARE waring him down!! This is a LOT more concillitary than how he started off & MUCH more realistic!! Your arguments are much more erudite than I could wish to aspire to, so I have left it in your very capable hands (but have monitored the transformation with great interest!).

Tony,
This line of argument I could agree to. I don't feel she SHOULD be a member of the cabinet or anything similar as there could always be a "Conflict of Interest" (or at least, a marital argument that would mar decision making!!). Let us sincerely hope things don't come to that though, there are enough problems to sort out without Presidential Marriage conflicts going on!! I am SURE she is sufficiently sensible to the situation & will give serious thought to any influence she exerts on her Husband & President!! - Grahame.

Tony C said:
Rice, Rumsfeld and Powell are all cabinet members selected by the President and approved by the Congress. If one messes up they can be dismissed. If the First Lady messes up what can they do? What if she is implicated in a criminal act? Make Fernandez Divorce her?
Of course I realize that the 1st lady will have some input and discussions with the President. But she should not be in charge of any govermental decision making process nor hold a government position except ones that are ceremonial

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Her being his wife does not absolve her from taking on an appointed position dictated by Leonel. She is a proven competent professional within the first Leonel administration. Another competent wife that comes to mind: Elizabeth Dole, now a congressional rep of North Carolina.

If Ana does not want to get busted for corruption then it would behoove her to perform her job honestly-- like any other competent appointed politician should. Their marriage is none of my concern her honesty is. And if she fails Leonel fails. You get 2 birds with one stone.

You are relegating her to the "kitchen" just on her basis of her being a wife. That to me is an insufficient argument because she is a proven competent professional.

Tony, I see we are not really convincing each other here. I respect your position just don't agree with it. Really, thanks for sharing your opinion. Your position has been noted. Let's move on.

Best
Tony C said:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
deelt said:
Tony, I see we are not really convincing each other here. I respect your position just don't agree with it. Really, thanks for sharing your opinion. Your position has been noted. Let's move on.

Best
I love this part.
You can't logically defend your positions so you want to end the discussion!
Sorry Not yet.

Play this scenario in your head.
Leonel appoints his wife to some cabinet level position. She is found to be ineffectual or worse currupt. What is Leonel to do? If it is another person he can fire them and totally disassociate his Presidency. He can even have that person brought up on charges. Now if it is his wife what will he do?

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I'm with Tordok on dealing with you. I have proven my point. I don't wish to expound on it. I have provided sufficient reasoning which you have chosen to disregard or ignore. That is your choice. If you have an issue you can PM, but warning don't waste my time.

Like I said it would behoove her to be honest because her honesty is a reflection upon Leonel. To the contrary the populist parties should jump at this idea because it increases the risk of failure for PLD. But if done correctly and honestly high risk that pays off also provides a high return. The country will be better for it. You need to get out of the bedroom. This is politics.

Tony C said:
I love this part.
You can't logically defend your positions so you want to end the discussion!
Sorry Not yet.

Play this scenario in your head.
Leonel appoints his wife to some cabinet level position. She is found to be ineffectual or worse currupt. What is Leonel to do? If it is another person he can fire them and totally disassociate his Presidency. He can even have that person brought up on charges. Now if it is his wife what will he do?