Merengue Vs. Bachata

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Muy buena pregunta

Mariposa,

This is a potential controversial question but I will dare to answer.

For me, for merengue it really depends on who the artist is. To be honest with you I am really annoyed by the Puerto Rican dominance in merengue and all the awards that they win over Dominican groups but I think it's because they are so much more commercialized via Puerto Rico and Dominican artists don't get the same exposure. So when I think of merengue and your question I think it should be "Dominican merengue vs. bachata". Thankfully not too many non- Dominicans have tried to produce bachata (que yo sepa).

You got me. I like both but I am picky. I like classic merengue over the fast 100 mile hour style that young groups produce. For example: I enjoy Rubby P?rez, Fernando Villalona, Dimanchy, Juan Luis, Jossie Esteban, La Nueva Patrulla 15, Los Hnos Rosario and I love to dance to their music as well. But I would toss aside Oro Solido, Grupo Kontrol and anything by Olga Ta?on just to name a few. The only two PR groups that I like are Limi-t 21 and Los Sabrosos del merengue. I can't stand Elvis Crespo- what disgrace to merengue and many others from PR.

En cuanto a la bachata me encantan los grandes: Raulin Rodriguez, A.Santos, Kiko Rodriguez, Joe Veras, Frank Reyes.

So to answer your question I like both equally but merengue for me is only good if it's a more classic style and from a Dominican artist.

mariposa said:
Which one do you prefer?

Last edited:

mariposa

May 19, 2004
Millie es la reina

I know what you mean about PR merengueros lo que me molesta es que le digan a Olga Ta?on la reina del merengue, when we all know that that title belongs to Millie

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
For sure. Although I am not a fan of Millie Quezada (I think her music is too soft for dancing) the title of "la reina" definitely does NOT belong to Tanny (Olga Ta?on).

How about you what is your preference?

mariposa said:
I know what you mean about PR merengueros lo que me molesta es que le digan a Olga Ta?on la reina del merengue, when we all know that that title belongs to Millie

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Sounds like we have the exact same taste, Lesley, if I may add Los Toros Band to both the merengue and bachata sides. And lately, I have a "thing" for Frank Reyes, I can't get enough of him!

I don't "prefer" either/or, it all depends on the group and the song. Angel has been getting me to listen to some old Conjunto Quisqueya as well, and I must say, I like it!

I must say that it also irritates me, the PR bandwagon-jumpers coming out and winning the awards...none even compare...Elvis Crespo totally sings through his nose, and his songs all sound alike.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Remember when all those Puerto Rican artists stopped coming out with tons of albums a few years back? That was because all their musicians and composers (arreglistas) were Dominican. They all got fed up with the Puerto Ricans taking away all the nominations and awards instead of Dominican artists.............if they did it again, Puerto Ricans would stop getting the accolades, because of their music which is composed and arranged by Dominican musicians :p

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
trina said:
I must say that it also irritates me, the PR bandwagon-jumpers coming out and winning the awards...none even compare...Elvis Crespo totally sings through his nose, and his songs all sound alike.

LOL Your so right about Elvis Crespo his songs do all sound alike!

I love both but I must say I love love Bachata I listen to it all day every day, friends call me the Bachata freak lol! But as you and others have said if I hear my favourite Merengue artists it makes me dance away, I go crazy! I really love it all and that's why I love going to the DR and dancing the night away. Hey I even bought 9 CD's when I was there a month ago lol!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Okay you and I can get along anytime. Of course, forgive me I did forget Los Toros Band they are wonderful! And to think that Hector Acosta was planning to leave the group, that would have been a painful loss.

Frank Reyes is just an exceptional bachatero. Please do listen to his music. What really put him on the map was his album "Vine a decirte adios" and the song of all time "t? eres ajena". A song like that only comes around every 10 years. He calls himself "el pr?ncipe" but I say no "el es el rey".....

trina said:
Sounds like we have the exact same taste, Lesley, if I may add Los Toros Band to both the merengue and bachata sides. And lately, I have a "thing" for Frank Reyes, I can't get enough of him!

I don't "prefer" either/or, it all depends on the group and the song. Angel has been getting me to listen to some old Conjunto Quisqueya as well, and I must say, I like it!

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks for the insight- I did not know that.

Jon S. said:
Remember when all those Puerto Rican artists stopped coming out with tons of albums a few years back? That was because all their musicians and composers (arreglistas) were Dominican. They all got fed up with the Puerto Ricans taking away all the nominations and awards instead of Dominican artists.............if they did it again, Puerto Ricans would stop getting the accolades, because of their music which is composed and arranged by Dominican musicians :p

ginger ale

May 6, 2004
mariposa said:
Which one do you prefer?
Hi, I like them both and I have to agree with Lesley D, the older bands are much much better. I hate the really fast Merengues, or the really stupid ones like "La vaca"!

I especially like to dance the Bachata. Unfortunately, my husband hates it so I hardly ever get to dance it! :cry:

mariposa

May 19, 2004
na' ma uno' cuanto

Fernando Villalona, Sergio Vargas, Los Toros bands! They are doing great in bringing back the good and decent merengue, Let's support them! El merengue has lost its credibility in recent years while the bachata has expanded to different circles, let's hope it does make a comeback to it's good beginnings.

Luis Vargas, Joe Veras, Elvis Martinez, Aventura( I know not many of you like it) but they do sing about current issues affecting our society! and who could forget Juan Luis Guerra!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
The music has to have sentido

I like music with lyrics! I like music with a message! This inspires me and makes me dance. So if a merenge, bachata or even a salsa (e.g. La Rebelion by Raulin is my favorite! or Celia's grooves), speaks to me then I'm all over it.

The "Y Maria...Se fue!", "Un merengue sin letras" or ghettonized merengue can go take a hike in my book.

I've been too much of a nerd to learn all the artists. I just dance my booty off. It helps to release stress.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
deelt said:
I like music with lyrics! I like music with a message! This inspires me and makes me dance. So if a merenge, bachata or even a salsa (e.g. La Rebelion by Raulin is my favorite! or Celia's grooves), speaks to me then I'm all over it.

The "Y Maria...Se fue!", "Un merengue sin letras" or ghettonized merengue can go take a hike in my book.

I've been too much of a nerd to learn all the artists. I just dance my booty off. It helps to release stress.

I totally agree...I think the lyrical master, although he has had competition of late, is still JLG.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Is it just me, or do you guys agree that Spanish songwriters are more powerful at portraying their feelings, thoughts, and emotions? Marco Antonio Solis, JLG, Marc Antony, Enrique Iglesias, Frank Reyes...the list goes on...just seem to be able to say something in Spanish that is unmatched by their English counterparts...they just seem so much more romantic and powerful. They can write lyrics that, to me, can't be portrayed the same way in English...maybe the fact that I love the way they compose the music helps. Listening to Marco Antonio Solis...omg what that man does to me...

Here's a little sampling of one of my favorite songs, it's translated in English, but doesn't quite say the same thing (or it does, just doesn't sound quite so "moving"):

Te extra?o mas que nunca
(I miss you more than ever)

y no se que hacer
(and I don't know what to do)

despierto y te recuerdo al amanecer
(I wake up and remember you at the dawn)

me espera otro dia por vivir sin ti
(another day awaits me without you)

el espejo no miente, me veo tan diferente
(the mirror does not lie, I see myself so different

me haces falta tu.
(I miss you)

La gente pasa y pasa siempre tan igual
(the people that pass never change)

el ritmo de la vida me parece mal
(the rhythm of my life seems wrong)

era diferente cuando estabas tu
(it was different when you were here)

si que era diferente cuando estabas tu.
(yes... it was different when you were here)

No hay nada mas dificil que vivir sin ti
(There is nothing harder than to live without you)

sufriendo en la espera de verte llegar
(suffering in the hope that you will return)

el frio de mi cuerpo pregunta por ti
(the cold of my body asks for you)

y no se donde estas...
(and I don't know where you are)

si no te hubieras ido seria tan feliz.
(had you not left, I'd be so happy)

No hay nada mas dificil que vivir sin ti.
y no se donde estas...

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Well I tend to agree with you but I don't listen to English music so I can't make a fair assessment. The older English music from the seventies I think is deeper but the contemporary music probably is not as sentimental. In terms of Spanish I think the music is poetry first (you may have said this) and then it's a song.

As a hobby I document lyrics and I can attest after putting the lyrics on paper and then reading what the words say- "s? es profundo". But I would say it's more the Spanish language that allows for sentimental depth. There are some lyrics, Raulin Rodr?guez for example he writes his own songs and if you really listen to what he's saying it's really sentimental and "la m?sica va directo al coraz?n sin escala". So I understand your point but I think the Spanish language in itself has a lot to do with it. I will give you an example of how the two languages differ in beauty:

"Nobody wants to dance with me".

Trans #1- Nadie quiere bailar conmigo.

Trans #2- Nadie me quiere bailar.

Which do think is better and has more impact? Since it's my example I would say # 2. The second translation to me is the big difference between Spanish and English. Whereas in English you can only say it the way I did in my example. This dynamic is what makes song lyrics so powerful in my opinion.

trina said:
Is it just me, or do you guys agree that Spanish songwriters are more powerful at portraying their feelings, thoughts, and emotions? Marco Antonio Solis, JLG, Marc Antony, Enrique Iglesias, Frank Reyes...the list goes on...just seem to be able to say something in Spanish that is unmatched by their English counterparts...they just seem so much more romantic and powerful. They can write lyrics that, to me, can't be portrayed the same way in English...maybe the fact that I love the way they compose the music helps. Listening to Marco Antonio Solis...omg what that man does to me...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Lesley D said:
Well I tend to agree with you but I don't listen to English music so I can't make a fair assessment. The older English music from the seventies I think is deeper but the contemporary music probably is not as sentimental. In terms of Spanish I think the music is poetry first (you may have said this) and then it's a song.

As a hobby I document lyrics and I can attest after putting the lyrics on paper and then reading what the words say- "s? es profundo". But I would say it's more the Spanish language that allows for sentimental depth. There are some lyrics, Raulin Rodr?guez for example he writes his own songs and if you really listen to what he's saying it's really sentimental and "la m?sica va directo al coraz?n sin escala". So I understand your point but I think the Spanish language in itself has a lot to do with it. I will give you an example of how the two languages differ in beauty:

"Nobody wants to dance with me".

Trans #1- Nadie quiere bailar conmigo.

Trans #2- Nadie me quiere bailar.

Which do think is better and has more impact? Since it's my example I would say # 2. The second translation to me is the big difference between Spanish and English. Whereas in English you can only say it the way I did in my example. This dynamic is what makes song lyrics so powerful in my opinion.

Great insight, Lesley...I guess I've never thought that perhaps the language has more to do with it than it actually does. I've always thought it was the way the lyracist wrote it, but now you have me thinking about it in a different way.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Trina,

the lyrics are beautiful indeed. So are these boleros or baladas?

Also a slight incorrect meaning in your translation:

You wrote: el ritmo de la vida me parece mal

It should be: the rhythm of life does not seem right to me. (or "seems wrong").

trina said:

Here's a little sampling of one of my favorite songs, it's translated in English, but doesn't quite say the same thing (or it does, just doesn't sound quite so "moving"):

Te extra?o mas que nunca
(I miss you more than ever)

y no se que hacer
(and I don't know what to do)

despierto y te recuerdo al amanecer
(I wake up and remember you at the dawn)

me espera otro dia por vivir sin ti
(another day awaits me without you)

el espejo no miente, me veo tan diferente
(the mirror does not lie, I see myself so different

me haces falta tu.
(I miss you)

(the people that pass never change)

(it was different when you were here)

(yes... it was different when you were here)

No hay nada mas dificil que vivir sin ti
(There is nothing harder than to live without you)

(suffering in the hope that you will return)

(the cold of my body asks for you)

y no se donde estas...
(and I don't know where you are)

(had you not left, I'd be so happy)

No hay nada mas dificil que vivir sin ti.
y no se donde estas...

jerseynegrita06

Aug 15, 2003
I think I like them both the same. I don't know, lol. I do like some of the bands that you guys say suck, lol. I like Oro Solido and Aventura gah...and I only like one Olga Ta?on song...As? es la vida...but that's about it...but I loooove Fernando Villalona and Antony Santos...and Jossie Esteban...and Monchy y Alexandra...and many more...