Pico Trujillo? you gotta be kidding me

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
From DR1 news

Pico Duarte is now Pico Trujillo
Hoy newspaper.....

I thought this was a joke first. Hipolito renamed the talled peak in the Caribbean from Pico Duarte to Pico Trujillo? How come no word of this on the boards after being up all night? Am I missing something?

Whats next, Mount Isabella de Toros (spelling?) in Puerto Plata will be Pico Hitler? or Pico Mussolini? WTF?

Might as well name it Pico Hipolito, or Mount Hipocrit where rivers of tears flow down, or money for his villa.

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
Well my understanding is that they still debating this, President-elect Leonel
opposed it and a few other people as well, what a disaster this will be. I couldn't believe when i read this morning, i hope this never happen.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What a surprise...

Tony Cabrera said:
Well my understanding is that they still debating this, President-elect Leonel
opposed it and a few other people as well, what a disaster this will be. I couldn't believe when i read this morning, i hope this never happen.

There are no limits to the dumb stunts this dude can pull.
He never ceases to amaze me.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
This can't be true!

From what I understood, reading the article, was that when the Legislative branch passed the new bill on national parks it had to refer to an old law dating back to Trujillo's era when the highest peak in the Caribbean was named after him and thus some kind of mistake was made in the law which called the peak Trujillo instead of Duarte. Am I wrong? In any case, there is no way this would hold up with Trujillo's name.

ELI65

Jan 3, 2002
Yes it is a disgrace

I agree they must correct this mistake. What does this mean to the memories of torture, murder and spying and conspiring on the Dominican people during the Trujillo Regime. My Grand Uncle was a very close friend of one of the men (Conspirators) who worked on the plan to assasinate Trujillo. My Grand Uncle's friend was Juan Tomas Diaz and it will be a disgrace to the memories of the conspirators.

Elias

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
The real disgrace

Will be if these bastards get away with expropriating the lands (specially beaches) of our national parks!!
Thats where the real tragedy is and if our legi$lator$ have to rename the Pico Trujillo to do it, it'll be a $mall price to pay for them.
God Damned SOBs - Shootem all!!!! SOmeone, please!!!

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Juan Tom?s D?az, a national hero

ELI65 said:
I agree they must correct this mistake. What does this mean to the memories of torture, murder and spying and conspiring on the Dominican people during the Trujillo Regime. My Grand Uncle was a very close friend of one of the men (Conspirators) who worked on the plan to assasinate Trujillo. My Grand Uncle's friend was Juan Tomas Diaz and it will be a disgrace to the memories of the conspirators. Elias

Juan Tom?s D?az was a brigadier general around 1960, when I was 10 years old, he was the commander of the La Vega army garrison, my hometown, and his family lived a block away from us. I remember when Trujillo was assasinated worrying about his kids, one of whom was named Eduardo and who was confused with me due to our looking alike. Luckily, although they went thru hell, his widow Chana and his kids survived.

We had another neighbor, Ernesto de la Maza, brother of another national hero, Antonio de la Maza, and I remember witnessing the pro-Trujillo mob breaking into the house, taking everything and setting fire to it. The memories of these heroes cannot be denigrated by perpetuating the name of Trujillo, although there are still plenty of nostalgics here who would love to see "El Jefe" reincarnate.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Take It Easy

samiam said:
Will be if these bastards get away with expropriating the lands (specially beaches) of our national parks!!
Thats where the real tragedy is and if our legi$lator$ have to rename the Pico Trujillo to do it, it'll be a $mall price to pay for them.
God Damned SOBs - Shootem all!!!! SOmeone, please!!!

I feel the same way but it's frustrating when laws here are not enforced and the 'authorities' do not exercise said authority. We cannot take all these things to heart because we are helpless since the system is perverse. So, for our own physical and mental health, let's TAKE IT EASY.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
frank alvarez said:
From what I understood, reading the article, was that when the Legislative branch passed the new bill on national parks it had to refer to an old law dating back to Trujillo's era when the highest peak in the Caribbean was named after him and thus some kind of mistake was made in the law which called the peak Trujillo instead of Duarte. Am I wrong? In any case, there is no way this would hold up with Trujillo's name.

The above interpretation seems correct to me. The new bill refers back to old documents where that infamous name was still the one being used, but I do not believe that the intent is to rebaptize the mountain after the dictator. Someone just failed to grasp the anachronistic nomenclature when the new legislation was being drafted. Spooky to think that any Dominican could fail to notice this or not clarify it by simply writing "Pico Duarte (previously Pico Trujillo)" or something to that effect to acknowledge fact of the current name.
-Tordok

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The reason is obvious. The legislators never bothered to read the bill. It was just rushed through congress to comply with special interest parties.

President Mejia said he would sign it right away. The time for signing the bill has already expired. I think the press would have a field day if he signed a bill that changed the name of the mountain.

Maybe that is what is holding him up. Problem is, the Executive Branch cannot change the name back. He would have to return the bill to the Senate and then the Senate would have to send it to the Deputies...

The bill has so many absurdities if the President signed it into law, it should be easy to knock it in the Supreme Court. Or if the next President wanted, he could just expropriate all the park lands using the privileges extended to him under Art. 55 of the Constitution. Like Hipolito has said continuously: "power is there to be used!"

I can't understand anyone investing under such uncertainty and negative feelings this bill has generated in the population.

J

jakemarble

Whatever...

Speaking of the-peak-formerly-known-as-Pico-Duarte, has anyone hiked it before? I'm very interested in like a two-day excursion in June... It looks like you would have to go through Constanza or thereabouts.
Is anyone at all familiar with the trails up there?

Jake

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
jakemarble said:
Speaking of the-peak-formerly-known-as-Pico-Duarte, has anyone hiked it before? I'm very interested in like a two-day excursion in June... It looks like you would have to go through Constanza or thereabouts.
Is anyone at all familiar with the trails up there?

Jake

Do a 'search' on 'Pico Duarte,' I am sure there will be dozens of threads on different ways to climb the mountain.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Best way is thru Jarabacoa-Manabao-La Cienaga

jakemarble said:
Is anyone at all familiar with the trails up there? Jake

I did it a few years ago. 2 days is not enough time and you certainly don't want to rush thru this great experience. I joined a group of 14 college kids (I was 46 at the time) and we hired 5 guides and 7 mules (to carry our clothing and food) for the 5-day trip. We walked the entire time (you can hire a mule as your personal climber if you wish) and the old man proudly reached every summit before the youngsters (a lot of jogging and biking prior to the adventure), by the way.

We went slowly and camped at the Tetero valley for two nights just to relax and enjoy (I did not know there were so many stars in the sky!). No electricity, no running water, no phones (some cells work in some places) anywhere within the Bermudez National Park. You have to bathe in the very, very cold water of the rivers and do your basic necessities in the woods (there are latrines in the various campsites but everyone avoids them). A campfire every night and get-togethers of the different groups one encounters sharing stories and having fun.

Normal temperatures in the daytime and you can wear shorts and T-shirt and hiking boots but bring your sweater, jacket, gloves because at night the temperature drops to the mid-30's or freezing (in the winter months, anyways). It is a great adventure with little or no risks and you will enjoy nature as never before. Hope you do it and have a great experience.