RE-MAX refusing to return deposit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrednyc

May 26, 2004
Hi everyone,

I recently attempted to buy property in Santo Domingo and put a deposit on a home which a relative of mine told me was something that might interest me I saw some pictures and thought this could be the place. The real estate company rushed the sale telling me that if I wanted the house I had to put down a deposit by weeks end because there were other interested parties. I was here in the US and couldn't leave immediately and wired the money and a receipt was made in my name with a verbal agreement that if the house was not what I wanted I could get my deposit back.

It turns out that the house was not what I expected, even more surprising my relative signed a contract under his name to secure the house, which I never saw until I arrived. The contract states that if I don't buy the house within a week I lose the deposit in full.

They are now refusing to return the deposit and the home is still for sale and the price of the house has doubled, so even if I wanted to buy it now to recoup the money I cant. Can they do that?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
As MountainFrog says, the DR can be like a private college, the price of admission can be quite high, but you can get quite a good education.

This situation doesn't sound good to me. Yes, it sounds like they conducted themselves unethically. But verbal agreements are worth zero - heck even written ones aren't worth much here. Why you would send money in without reading the contracts is beyond me.

Sounds like you're paying an expensive price for your education here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do not EVER deal with Re-Max for anything. Check the archives on Bommarito in Sosua for more on this.

mrednyc

May 26, 2004
School of hard knox

True Adrianb

I should have been a little more careful on how I conducted business in the Dominican Republic, I was fooled by a name RE-MAX. I was told that the contracts would be drawn under my relatives name to secure the property and then be changed once I got there, since I was the one with the funds I figured nothing could happen until I arrived. But he signed the contract without a lawyer present and he really didn't understand what he had signed, heck truth be told I wouldn't have known, but I would have been diligent enough to have someone present who would have.

So now back to my dilemma what do I do besides licking my wounds?

Sky if you can please direct me to the archive I couldn't find it.

Thanks

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
mrednyc said:
True Adrianb

I should have been a little more careful on how I conducted business in the Dominican Republic, I was fooled by a name RE-MAX. I was told that the contracts would be drawn under my relatives name to secure the property and then be changed once I got there, since I was the one with the funds I figured nothing could happen until I arrived. But he signed the contract without a lawyer present and he really didn't understand what he had signed, heck truth be told I wouldn't have known, but I would have been diligent enough to have someone present who would have.

Sky if you can please direct me to the archive I couldn't find it.

Thanks

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28810&highlight=Bommarito
just one post about the guy

or use the search function of this forum , on the top of this page

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
It sounds to me like you're best off cutting your losses. Unless you think its worth spending some money on a good lawyer to go after them. That may be throwing good money after bad though.

Another option would be to guarantee to them to buy a property through them if you can get the deposit applied against the new property.

Scott or one of the other real estate guys may have better advice. But it sounds like a really tough situation unfortunately. I sympathize.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You MIGHT try contacting ReMax in the USA, explaining the situation to them & asking them to LEAN on the DR operation that is using their name. As mentioned by Mark1, ReMax (under the name of Bommarito) in Sosua has a bit of bad publicity behind it & ReMax might want to try & clear their act up down here!!

Can't see how YOU can be held responsible for someone signing a contract if YOUR name wasn't ON the contract? What was the timeframe between you sending the money (& where was it wired to, with what wording if any) to ReMax & you getting down to sign this peculiar Contract?? You also might like to check other realtors in that area & see if THEY have the property on the market too, at what price & what the TRUE price of the property should be. They might even give you more ammunition to pass on to ReMax head office if you decide to involve them!!

Good luck - Grahame.

JoeTurist

Jan 30, 2003
mrednyc said:

I will say this: join the club and consider one of the life experiences, this guy is on top of the list "Do NOT deal with in D.R."

He start his career in 1990 in Sosua, taking advantage of the people honesty and the Dominican law.

One of the first things I learned about the Dominican Republic, was that there IS NO LAW, and where there IS law, it is whatever law happens to benefit those in power and control. NEVER rely on the law for achieving justice in the DR.

Years ago a case regarding "Elena's" in Sosua, later rename "Oceanview Residencial" was disccused on several DR related forums, Elaine Stonemark, as I recall, lost that property to Bommarito dirty tricks.

Next time is good to ask more people opinion about conducting any business in D.R., and even then, you could be deceived.

Shaby characters, wanted in their own country, crooked lawyers, doing anything for a buck, judjes with no morals...etc

You get the picture?

Joe Tourist

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'd like to see the written agreement before making a comment here. People have a way of getting facts wrong and verbal means nada especially in the DR.
Not sure how things work over there but in my world if anyone signs for you it's as good as the person purchasing it.
Here's where the details are important to know.
Name on agreement of purchase and sale. Does it specify that the signee is not the purchaser. If the contract stated an out it should have the following, who, where, when,why or else you have no out. Also a contract doesn't need to be signed in front of a lawyer.

Next time give power of attoney to your lawyer and have a him fax copy of the offer sent to you so you know exactly what's in the agreement. Again not sure of the DR but now a days faxed copies signed by the purchaser are as good as being there. Even if you don't have a lawyer at that time you can still have a copy of the agreement faxed to you before signing.

S

Stephen

Don't count on REMAX

Just like Hertz, Avis, etc.....

....they all have US names, but when you contact the US they will tell you that they don't have any influence on their operations in the DR.

They pay for the use of the name, but they do not come under any control of the US parent company......

It happens all the time..... you're just wasting your time.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Before you jump all over Bommarito in Sosua, read the guys post!

He had problems in Santo Domingo, not Sosua. The DR has lots or Re-Max offices, not just one in Sosua.

If your going to slander someone on this board, back it up with hard evidence otherwise it has no credibility and just causes problems for us, DR1.
Yes, people sue us for stuff that get's posted on this board and it costs us money to defend ourselves and the board.

Back to the original question...

What Re-Max office in Santo Domingo? What agent did you deal with?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Very true!

Robert said:
Before you jump all over Bommarito in Sosua, read the guys post!

He had problems in Santo Domingo, not Sosua. The DR has lots or Re-Max offices, not just one in Sosua.
What Re-Max office in Santo Domingo? What agent did you deal with?
I hope that it's not the same that I had a little disagreement a few years ago. They quote me a price, I, against my better judgement and intelligence, had a friend look at this property for me. I was on the phone with Re-Max doing everything they required of me. And one day, it only took for them so say to me "listen, you need to hurry up because we have many, many people looking at this property also and if you don't put a deposit on it by the end of the day, the price WILL go up and then I can not promise anything". I my book, this person, very diplomaticly was bullying me and righ at that moment a light bulb when up my head and I told him flat out, "this is the end of the conversation, go ahead and sell it to someone else, good bye, click". Within seconds, they were on the phone calling me. 5 months later they were still calling me for the same property that "so many people were after". If you are trying to buy a property, you need to do all the work yourself. Make time to take care of your business unless you have a lawyer that you can trust do it for you. I will not use a Re-Max in SD unless I can go there myself and take care of it. To be somewhat partial, my brother used a Re-Max in Sosua and everything went smoothly, but then again, he was there with his 3 lawyers, as he says, "just in case".

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Robert brought up a point that was on my mind as I was going through this thread.

Was it the Remax from Sosua you were dealing with in the Capitol. While that is possible it isn't necessarilly the same company.

I would NOT bother with REMAX in the US because I will bet they have been unable to straighten out problems in 3rd world countries any more than you can expect things in a 3rd world country to operate like they do in a first.

I would consult an attorney for sure and then make your decision afterwards. NEVER EVER TAKE VERBAL COMMITMENTS FROM any BROKER or for that matter ANYONE IN THE DR NOT EVER A LAWYER. I have heard and experienced things that Lawyers in the DR have done that would make your jaw drop to the pavement. Lawyers in the DR can only be compared to USED CAR Salesmen in the US. So many are crooked.

Scott

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here's a little lesson in Real Estate lingo:

"We have many people looking at the property" ( very possible) but that doesn't mean anyone has signed an offer. If two or three agents are showing the same property they may not may not let other agents know, although they are supposed to.

When an agent says " we have one, two, or more signed offers and we are presenting them to the vendor tonight that's when you have to think wheter you want in or not.
If you feel pressured into signing something, don't do it. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Only my two cents since I followed the rules when I was in it.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I would NOT bother with REMAX in the US because I will bet they have been unable to straighten out problems in 3rd world countries any more than you can expect things in a 3rd world country to operate like they do in a first.
The REMAX offices in the DR are franchise operations and the head office does take note of what goes on. This is not to say they can get your money back for you, but they do pay visits to their franchises and can revoke these licenses, if they wish.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
two rules for buying anything from a commissioned saleperson in the DR:

1) There is ALWAYS another buyer (just like in a used car lot).
2) "Deposito" in Dominican Spanish means "Free money that the stupid gringo thinks I owe him for some reason"

mrednyc

May 26, 2004
Remax

I want to thank all of you for your advise, due diligence are the words I should have deposited into my head instead of my money into their bank account. I still plan on seeking legal advice albeit that of a "USED CAR SALESPERSON."

And I don't think that I'll ask REMAX to put the deposit towards another purchase, they'll just jack up the price to reflect the deposit.
I just don't understand how this goes on without repercussions

Well, I've paid for the price of my education, learned all the lessons, failed the test, and received my diploma from the school of the hard knox..so OK I'm off to my graduation.

Welcome to the Dominican Republic!

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
mrednyc said:
I want to thank all of you for your advise, due diligence are the words I should have deposited into my head instead of my money into their bank account. I still plan on seeking legal advice albeit that of a "USED CAR SALESPERSON."

And I don't think that I'll ask REMAX to put the deposit towards another purchase, they'll just jack up the price to reflect the deposit.
I just don't understand how this goes on without repercussions

Well, I've paid for the price of my education, learned all the lessons, failed the test, and received my diploma from the school of the hard knox..so OK I'm off to my graduation.

Welcome to the Dominican Republic!

Great attitude , kudos to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.